Tire Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have just been going through deciding to replace our tires now or not. The dates showed they were almost 8 years old.  They looked fine, with 50,000 miles on them.  They were well maintained, and kept covered.  There was no visual deterioration.  We put 6 new tires on  last week.  Inspection of the old tires showed some cracks.  It was a lot of money to spend but we value our lives and that of others too much to take the chance on something we could control. 

I bought my motorhome with tires that looked excellent, but, were 10 years old according to the sidewall.  Michelin XPS if memory serves.  After reading a lot of threads I made a couple of test drives in very hot weather.  One 200 mile trip, one 100 mile trip and one 60 mile trip.  Oh, and I had driven it home when I bought it 160 miles.  After much agonizing my scottish blood won out, took it on an 850 mile round trip.  Got 8 miles from home driving against a big wind from the south.  Heard a loud, loud thump.  Pulled over as soon as I could.  It was my awning had snapped loose a bit.  It was ok.

My first rig had 10 year old tires on the four outside and the inside duals wew originals at around 18 years old.  The treads were good and i didnt know any better, so i drove my family 10,000 miles in it.  I joined some forums and started to read about tire dangers.  That was around when i was shopping for a new rig.anyway so I told the buyer he would need some new tires soon and got new tires on my new rig. 

Jeff

I feel victim this summer, too!  We got our '97 Coachmen Catalina just last year, and the tires did look very good.  Since I had driven the old Tioga class C from Texas to New York twice in three years, the last time being after owning the RV for eight years, I didn't check the tires on the Catalina.  I DID have the dealer check them as part of their safety inspection in March, and stressed to them that I was going to put 4000 miles + on it in the next month.  They said I was good.

Well,  45 minutes outside Austin, 105 degrees outside, 70mph and POW!  Rear inside tire commits suicide.  I managed to get off the highway, onto the side road and stop.  I lucked out and someone nearby knew a tire service and they got me back on the road in 30 minutes.  I did take it slower the rest of the way to New York.  When I got there, found Tallman Tires in Whitesboro New York, $1066 for six new shoes and I put the one new one from Texas ($225 installed) as the spare.  Lot smoother ride going back, and felt safer too.

Now, I've heard people talk about using Armour All, wheel covers and keeping the RV inside.  This was the inside tire that blew, so it's already out of the sun.  The rubber just simply deteriorates over time. In about six years, major trips notwithstanding, I'll be putting new treads on and know I'm safe.

Attachments

• DSC04910.JPG
    DSC04910.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 21
Check my post in the other "Tire Age" thread.  Technical response that makes since.

Back
Top Bottom