To go with synthetic oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that the only true way to tell how often you should change your oil, weather it be Petroleum base or synthetic, is to have it tested. To just change it at a fixed mileage is only a guess.

Gary and others,

There is a bad misconception perpetuated by certain oil companies that with their synthetic oil you can go longer using their synthetic oil and of course their filters. I believe that all manufacturers agree that their oil change interval must be adhered to. Reading the statement by Cummins which incidental agrees with the bulletin put out by GM, shows that the manufacturers will not warranty extended service on oil changes.

According to an engineer from EXON who visited my class, Synthetic Oil offers better lubrication during extreme heat conditions such as extreme cold and high temp operation.

I take it as meaning engine life might be extended in an RTV where extreme conditions might be encountered such as long climbs in mountainous areas. It is not unusual to see cars with 300,000+ miles on them using dino oils as long as they are maintained.

I know at least some of the oil companies you are referring to.

IMO, synthetic oils are superior in some ways and maybe will hold up better under hard use or environmental extremes, but that in itself does not justify extending the change interval. A rigorous program of oil analysis might provide the data to justify it in some cases, though. However, truck fleets have been adjusting their oil change intervals based on analysis for a number of years, whether dino or synthetic.

misconception or not CUMMINS clearly states they will allow 5000 mile extention when using synthetic cummins/valvoline blue oil and weather or not people want to beleive or not beleive synthetic oil is superior to regular oil and it will last longer. Those are facts.Why does GMC want synthetic oil used in a duramax?
Because its better pure and simple

ticat900 said:
misconception or not CUMMINS clearly states they will allow 5000 miel extention when using synthetic cummins/valvoline blue oil and weather or not people want to beleive or not beleive synthetic oil is superior to regular oil and it will last longer.

Can you refer us to the Cummins document that states this?

Jeff said:
Can you refer us to the Cummins document that states this?

Valvoline Premium Blue? Extreme Diesel Engine Oil
Hi-Performance Synthetic Engine Oil. The Premium Blue Advantage:

?Hi-Performance Synthetic Technology meets the most demanding requirements of modern EGR engines operating at elevated temperatures, higher soot and higher acid levels in the engine oil.
?Cummins approved for 5,000-mile oil drain extension, under normal duty, for 2007 engines.
?Superior synthetic basestocks provide faster, safe starts during freezing weather and enhanced thermal properties for hot weather operations.
?Unique formulation has demonstrated improved fuel economy over leading conventional oils.
?Reduced high temperature carbon buildup - both single and two-piece pistons - and ring/liner wear protection leads to improved oil consumption control.
For more information contact Valvoline Customer Service at 1-800 TEAM-VAL

ticat900 said:
Cummins approved for 5,000-mile oil drain extension, under normal duty, for 2007 engines.

For more information contact Valvoline Customer Service at 1-800 TEAM-VAL

I still would like to see a "Cummins document" that said the oil change period can be extended by 5000 miles. What you are quoting is nothing more than Valvoline's advertizing hype.

R

RLSharp said:
I still would like to see a "Cummins document" that said the oil change period can be extended by 5000 miles. What you are quoting is nothing more than Valvoline's advertizing hype.

R
Ok whatever you say. I think the whole point of the original post was is synthetic better than standard and its very very obvious that its better but its a lot more money and  not always neccessary.To each their own
I use 15-40 oil in my ISL I only go 3400 miles per year and change every 3 years.Works for me.think what u want and do what U want as it matters not to me.

RLSharp said:
You sure have spent a lot of time defending your position. It must matter to you!

R
If u think so that your problem.Iam not defending anything?when people post incorrect things or things I beleive to be wrong or inaccurate I reply thats all.I dont even use it but anyone with any oil knowledge knows its a better(more efficient) oil.I just dont think I need to spend the extra money. AND Like I said.What matters to you matters not to me.

BernieD said:
Or 12 months, whichever comes first.

some people subscribe to that theory.I dont but to each their own.I go 3-4 years before changing as i only drive 3-4 K per year

ticat900 said:
some people subscribe to that theory.I dont but to each their own.I go 3-4 years before changing as i only drive 3-4 K per year

You can do what you want, but all of the engine manufacturers call for oil changes at least annually, and with good reason. Today's oils are as much additives as oil and the additives have a shelf life. It's your money and you can take the risk of contaminants and ineffective additives. I would expect that a lot more people subscribe to following the manufacturers' recommendations than your theory. And if you are within warranty or have an extended warranty, your extended changes would void the warranty on engine repairs.

BernieD said:
You can do what you want, but all of the engine manufacturers call for oil changes at least annually, and with good reason. Today's oils are as much additives as oil and the additives have a shelf life. It's your money and you can take the risk of contaminants and ineffective additives. I would expect that a lot more people subscribe to following the manufacturers' recommendations than your theory. And if you are within warranty or have an extended warranty, your extended changes would void the warranty on engine repairs.
so your saying that cummins says 20000 miles or 365 days but if for some reason you  only go 2000 miles as soon as u go over 365 days the oil suddenly becomes ineffective? In  my opinion and have done this all my life i subscribe to oil mileage and not a perticular date unless its some obscure situation where i know oil has become contaminated.Additives dont  have shelf life.

Sorry but additives most certainly have a shelf life! That's one of the reasons for putting a time to an oil change. I wonder where you get your info from, sure doesn't seem like you get it from the OEM's nor an OEM oil manufacturer.

ironrat said:
Sorry but additives most certainly have a shelf life! That's one of the reasons for putting a time to an oil change. I wonder where you get your info from, sure doesn't seem like you get it from the OEM's nor an OEM oil manufacturer.
whatever you say mr rat.Tell u what! u change your 2000 mile ISL 28 quart oil system at 1 year and i will change mine at 9000-10K miles and 3 years and we will both be happy OK?

I believe everyone has had ample opportunity to express their views on this subject. Could I suggest we all keep it on a friendly basis?

15w-40 oil is not 15 "weight" or 40 "Weight" .  The numbers stand for the viscosity index. An old method of determining
viscosity index was to drop a metal ball in a column of oil with a timer.  We all  ave some oil knowledge. I wonder how many actually know what w stands for in 15w?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wanda56
Back
Top Bottom