To go with synthetic oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
johnandcarol said:
15w-40 oil is not 15 "weight" or 40 "Weight" .  The numbers stand for the viscosity index. An old method of determining
viscosity index was to drop a metal ball in a column of oil with a timer.  We all  ave some oil knowledge. I wonder how many actually know what w stands for in 15w?
I think that most people know that but it is still referred to as weight. We do not refer to oil as 15, 20 or 30-viscosity index.  We all refer to them as 15, 20, or 30-weight oil. How would you refer to an oil viscosity when talking about different oils?

this thread has likely run its course, but here goes! Those who have suggested change intervals be determined by a rigorous oil analysis program whether synthetic or not have hit nail precisely on the head. Manufacturers recs or no, a good oil analysis program is far better for determining proper change interval. That said, we know of OTR trucks running 60K miles between changes using our synthetic diesel oil and analysis program. We know of OTR trucks running 30 - 35K on our petroleum based oil. That ought to tell those running long hard miles that synthetic is less expensive for their operation, and it ought to say to the rest of us that the wear pattern of an engine is greatly improved by use of a synthetic.

Now then, 15W-40 may be neither a 15 or a 40 weight, but because of the viscosity improvers contained in it, it takes on the cold characteristics of a 15 weight and the hot run characteristics of a 40 weight. The viscosity index is neither 15 nor 40 for that would be pretty worthless oil. The viscosity index is the rate at which flowability changes with temperature variation. I'd have to look up the VI of our 15W-40, but I know the VI of our universal tractor/hydraulic fluid is 200 . . . and it's roughly equivalent in viscosity to a 10 weight engine oil. I would guess our best 15W-40 also has a VI of close to 200.

hey guys the reasoning for oil changes on an annual basis is due to th build up of acidic by-products of combustion. well known in the boating world. you wouldn't want acidic oil etching away at your engines innards while parked for the off season, would you? spring and fall for year round operation, regardless of low miles on the oil. for the same reason. oil is either ph neutral or purposely a little high to combat acid build up

driftless shifter said:
hey guys the reasoning for oil changes on an annual basis is due to th build up of acidic by-products of combustion. well known in the boating world. you wouldn't want acidic oil etching away at your engines innards while parked for the off season, would you? spring and fall for year round operation, regardless of low miles on the oil. for the same reason. oil is either ph neutral or purposely a little high to combat acid build up

I change my boat oil about every 4 years.Always have for years + nary a problem.As long as the oil has a clean non burnt look its god to go.this so called acid build up in todays oil is so miniscule its nothing
Besides this is about weather or not to use synthetic oil not when to change it
also to note Ultra low emision diesels like mine get far far less ash and acid build up than the old ones

BernieD said:
You can do what you want, but all of the engine manufacturers call for oil changes at least annually, and with good reason. Today's oils are as much additives as oil and the additives have a shelf life. It's your money and you can take the risk of contaminants and ineffective additives. I would expect that a lot more people subscribe to following the manufacturers' recommendations than your theory. And if you are within warranty or have an extended warranty, your extended changes would void the warranty on engine repairs.

So will oil "spoil" if not used in a certain time because of the shelf life of additives? I think not. But once it is exposed to contaminants is when it's so called life begins. I just got done talking to my Shaffer oil friend. I told him about this forum and what was being said. I hope that he will read the responses and maybe respond to a few of us.

I hope that no one has any hard feeling here. I did not start this topic with this in mind. I love this forum because of the friendship and of the knowledge that is shared with others. Many of you will share something with others that can be embarrassing but you still do it. I for one appreciate you for your honesty and thoughtfulness for others. Thank you and have a blessed Christmas.

And Merry Christmas to you!
The time clock of the additives starts as soon as exposed to air. So if you leave your containers sealed you are good for a pretty good while.
And as far as syns being much better than dino oil, Delo 400 compares right up there with the syns. You can read about Delo oils on Chevrons web site and also you can read some on the Oronite web site to for info. Oronite is a chemical company that is owned by Chevron that develops oil and fuel additives such as TECHRON. They sell to other oil companies also but is not something I can say who they are.
And for the heck of it Oronite is the company I worked for over twenty years and just retired from last year. But again with the costs of engine work I would be sure that the OEM of the engine I have would support any change in types of oil and in drain cycle times.

ironrat said:
And Merry Christmas to you!
The time clock of the additives starts as soon as exposed to air. So if you leave your containers sealed you are good for a pretty good while.
And as far as syns being much better than dino oil, Delo 400 compares right up there with the syns. You can read about Delo oils on Chevrons web site and also you can read some on the Oronite web site to for info. Oronite is a chemical company that is owned by Chevron that develops oil and fuel additives such as TECHRON. They sell to other oil companies also but is not something I can say who they are.
And for the heck of it Oronite is the company I worked for over twenty years and just retired from last year. But again with the costs of engine work I would be sure that the OEM of the engine I have would support any change in types of oil and in drain cycle times.
Pure pure BS  Dello 400 15-40 is not even in the same world of oil verses 5-40 Valvoline/cummins blue or similar oils >where did u dream that up from? Source? Now Dello 400 is a good oil  but Dello 400LE is not a not a top rated oil

Folks, while you're trying to convince each other who's right and who's wrong, please keep it civil, and avoid any personal attacks. Click the Rules button above to read what are acceptable and unacceptable messages. Thanks.

Meanwhile, as an interested reader, I've vacillated between being glad to learn something new and being disappointed that my new-found knowledge is incorrect  :(

Tom said:
Meanwhile, as an interested reader, I've vacillated between being glad to learn something new and being disappointed that my new-found knowledge is incorrect  :(

Tom,
Don't make a decision until you are convinced that your "new-found knowledge" is, in fact, incorrect.  I'm not convinced yet.

Mark. I'm trying to figure out if the unusued (still sealed) Delo 400 in my garage is any good or, for that matter, if it's any better than the used oil in the big CATs on the boat. Heck, sounds like I don't need to change the oil, or at least I can change it on an extended schedule.

Personally, I am going to stick with the routine I have been doing all my life. 

Otherwise, it seems the final outcome of this thread is to do whatever you are comfortable with pertaining to oil usage.  If it works for you, go for it.  I'm still going to use dino oil in my vehicle's internal combustion engines changed at regular intervals.  Synthetic in the trannies, differentials, and in my gennys.  A field tested combination as far as I am concerned.  If it aint broke, don't fix it.  Regardless of what the "experts" say.

Having rebuilt many engines, one of the first telltale signs of not changing the oil regularly is the "fisheyes" that form in the bearing surfaces from acids in the oil caused by the normal combustion process and the moisture that condenses in the oil. I change my oil based upon manufacturers recommendations as my personal vehicle never sees the mileage recommendation. My truck that towed my race car had over 300,000 miles on a Chevy inline 6 and was still running like new when I sold it. I attribute it's long life to regular maintenance.

Tom said:
Mark. I'm trying to figure out if the unusued (still sealed) Delo 400 in my garage is any good or, for that matter, if it's any better than the used oil in the big CATs on the boat. Heck, sounds like I don't need to change the oil, or at least I can change it on an extended schedule.

Tom:

Cat said using synthetic oil was fine with them for our 3126B but it did not extend the oil change interval.

Ditto what Jeff mentioned.  The class 8's I drive for work have 3406 Cats in them for powerplants and approve synthetic oil but do not approve extended oil change intervals.  This told to me from the lead shop mechanic.

[quote author=Jeff]Cat said using synthetic oil was fine with them for our 3126B but it did not extend the oil change interval.[/quote]

Thanks Jeff. I haven't read the same thing for our 3196's. Maybe I need to do some research  ???

Jeff said:
Cat said using synthetic oil was fine with them for our 3126B but it did not extend the oil change interval.

Cummins says the same thing. Only comment from Cummins was that there was no need to spend the extra bucks for the synthetic, dino oil worked just as well under the recommended Cummins schedule.

BernieD said:
Cummins says the same thing. Only comment from Cummins was that there was no need to spend the extra bucks for the synthetic, dino oil worked just as well under the recommended Cummins schedule.

and yet whats weird about that is they co-developed a syn oil and put there name on it and allowed the company to say cummins will allow 5000K oil change extention.
Valvoline premium blue is endorsed and recommended by CUMMINS

Valvoline premium blue (syn) would be a good deal for someone who expected to drive more than 15k in a year. Cummins specifically did not extend the time interval. I typically drive 9 to 12K miles a year, but next year I may exceed 15K so on my next Oil change in January 2013 I may change to Premium Blue as long as Cummins tells me its not an issue to switch back.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
Valvoline premium blue (syn) would be a good deal for someone who expected to drive more than 15k in a year. Cummins specifically did not extend the time interval. I typically drive 9 to 12K miles a year, but next year I may exceed 15K so on my next Oil change in January 2013 I may change to Premium Blue as long as Cummins tells me its not an issue to switch back.

ken

Merry Christmas day!    Of coruse you can do what ever you feel is good for your engine, but it is not a good idea to be changing back and forth between different types of oil, not even a good idea to change brands all the time either.  The mixing of different chemicals is never a good idea and not all oils use the same additives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjay
Back
Top Bottom