Toad braking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Phil and Butch

I will most likely have a "shop" install the baseplate. I could do this, but without a car lift the job is more difficult. Phil - in your wiring installation did you run anything to power the battery of the Buick. We use a patriot braking system, on our Sonic it get the power through the tow bar wiring from the MH. I do not see any connection to the battery in the Sonic from the MH. Buick does not mention any need for +12 to the battery when towing. Are you aware of instances when the battery has run down when towed according to the Buick instructions. Thanks for the reply

Each base plate design is different, and I have only completely installed one, and checked all the fasteners on a second one, but in both those cases I don't think having a lift would have made the installation much easier.

Hello all,

This is an update to the thread.

Well, I installed the Roadmaster fuse bypass harness today. I was warned that it was a bit of a hassel. That is an understatement. What should have been a 15 minute install took me 4 hours. Roadmaster makes the leads that go to the fuse blades far too short. Within the tight space around the fuse area, I finally gave up and soldered spliced more wire between the roadmaster loom and the fuse blades. Then it was indeed a 15 minute job. I did not drill into the plastic panel to mount the switch but tie wrapped it up to the bottom of the glove box frame in the footwell.

So, to tow, I start the car, put it in neutral shut off the car and then flip the switch to tow. Car warms me to put into park, the chime rings for about 2 minutes and the time on the radio stays lit.

Car is obviously in neutral and the steering is not locked.

Baseplate was installed yesterday the Honda garage here did a good job and their labor charge was very reasonable. I have a set of wireless lights that seem to work, so other than finding a way through the firewall for the breakaway switch wire, I am GOOD to go.

Thanks for suggestions and help from forum members.

David

Sorry I missed this. The Invisibrake system I have provides a feed to the battery when the tow vehicle's lights are on. I always run with lights on. BTW, I had the same experience with my Fuze bypass wiring, i.e. made the wires longer from the getgo.
If I recall properly, there is a grommet in the floor, under the driver's foot area. I used that to get wiring from inside to the engine compartment. Get underneath and look for that grommet before going to the work of taking up the carpet.
Hope all is well.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, We towed the BUICK Envision AWD for the first time this past Friday. Thanks to all here for suggestions and advice.

The BUICK towed PERFECTLY with our Blue Ox BX4325 toward attached to the blue ox plate and a Blue Ox Patriot brake connected to the always live 12 volt outlet in the cargo area of the car. We installed the Roadmaster fuse switch for the two body module switches. Easy, start car, put in neutral, shut off car, disable fuses and you are ready to go.

Our only disappointment was the operation of the Vulcan wireless tow lights. When they work they are bright and easy to see. Unfortunately, I could not get the tail light feature of the Vulcan to work consistently. Therefore, night driving would not be possible. They are going back to Amazon, partially based upon the recommendation of a Vulcan rep who said that many RV operators have trouble with this light. I will be getting a Tow mate tm22g in a couple of days.

Tow bar question: Our blue ox BX4325 - 7500 lbs was most likely purchased by the previous owner in 2013. We have used it for about 45K miles and previous owner I would think about 35K. There does not seem to be excessive wear. All of these miles were towing a 2700 lbs Chevrolet Sonic. So, should I buy the rebuild kit for the poly washers and hardware nuts or spend an additional $970 for a Blue OX BX7380 Alpha II? The alpha II is only rated to 6K Lbs and seems to be made of lighter materials.

Thanks for the replies.

I would not own (another) Aluminum tow bar, as they are prone to stress cracking, I also will not buy another Blue Ox Product, but that is a complicated story based on the fact that nothing ever seems to be their fault when reading of product failures online, and personal experience. Instead I will now buy Demco, Roadmaster, etc. and add Blue Ox adapters if needed.

we bought the CURT Rambler 7500 lbs capacity. Looks VERY well built. Motorhome is winterized as of today, we will not be towing anything anymore this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom