Toad braking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used one of these... Magnetic LED Wireless Towing Light Kit for the last couple of years, and they work great...
Butch
Until it doesn't..:mad:. .... It stopped working on my last trip... Past warranty, sealed unit, no place that repairs, so $140 down the drain... Trying to think of a permanent lighting system without cutting in to the exiting wiring and using diodes... Looking at adding bulbs to the existing tail lights... Not much room to do that though in a Suzuki Samurai... Not many places to mount a permanent aux. light fixture either... Sheesh... This is working into a project.... Starting to pull my hair out... And there's not so much left.:rolleyes: ....
Butch

Just a couple of lights and wiring to the 4 way flat off the 7 pin has always seemed simple enough for me. On my tow dolly I use a y connector, one leg powers the tow dolly lights the other the lights mounted on the rear of the towed vehicle. Takes about five minutes to set up.

Just a couple of lights and wiring to the 4 way flat off the 7 pin has always seemed simple enough for me. On my tow dolly I use a y connector, one leg powers the tow dolly lights the other the lights mounted on the rear of the towed vehicle. Takes about five minutes to set up.
^^^ That ^^^

I've towed several times with lights connected to the 4-pin, the wiring ran down, alongside, or under the TOAD, and the lights stuck to the back with a magnet.

I mentioned just this on the RAM forum I belong to and a guy said, "Wouldn't any of that scratch your paint, even a little bit?" I said, "Very possibly, but this is a never-fail solution. However, if you're really that worried about it, then just ignore my suggestion."

Thanks guys... I was thinking of doing this but was hoping for something a little more permanent than the magnets... I used the wireless magnetic ones and didn't trust the magnets, so wound up tying them down with wire (A pain) to the bumper, and I couldn't open the rear tail gate with the lights mounted (A little pain) ...
Butch

Anybody still hanging around this thread I have an update to my above post. I ended up going with a full Roadmaster setup. Nighthawk Tow Bar and Base Plates, and the Invisibrake System. Base Plate Install went fine. Lighting wiring went fine other than I found out I had a dead wire at my 7 pin at the back of the RV (blown fuse). That took me a bit to diagnose but got all that fixed. Invisibrake runs off the brake wiring, so it had to be right before I could get started.

Problem with the Invisibrake System and my truck, that I resolved maybe an unorthodox way.
Invisibrake is connected to the truck battery.
Part of the Chevy flat tow setup process is disconnecting the negative battery terminal to kill everything.
Well, the truck was still finding a ground path through the Invisibrake because some systems were still on, and my electronic parking brake would engage every time I would start towing. No bueno.
My solution was I just went and bought a cheap battery and put it under the back seat with the Invisibrake controller. So now the Invisibrake is totally isolated from the truck battery. And the Invisibrake will keep that battery charged as long as I have headlights on.
Now I still think with my truck "dead" - my power brakes aren't active. So I had to adjust the pressure up a little bit. On my first trip everything seemed OK, but I will be fine tuning it before the next trip.
I would have preferred to hook up the IB to the battery as designed, and just somehow disable the electronic parking brake, but I'll talk to my Chevy tech next time I talk to them.

Anybody still hanging around this thread I have an update to my above post. I ended up going with a full Roadmaster setup. Nighthawk Tow Bar and Base Plates, and the Invisibrake System. Base Plate Install went fine. Lighting wiring went fine other than I found out I had a dead wire at my 7 pin at the back of the RV (blown fuse). That took me a bit to diagnose but got all that fixed. Invisibrake runs off the brake wiring, so it had to be right before I could get started.

Problem with the Invisibrake System and my truck, that I resolved maybe an unorthodox way.
Invisibrake is connected to the truck battery.
Part of the Chevy flat tow setup process is disconnecting the negative battery terminal to kill everything.
Well, the truck was still finding a ground path through the Invisibrake because some systems were still on, and my electronic parking brake would engage every time I would start towing. No bueno.
My solution was I just went and bought a cheap battery and put it under the back seat with the Invisibrake controller. So now the Invisibrake is totally isolated from the truck battery. And the Invisibrake will keep that battery charged as long as I have headlights on.
Now I still think with my truck "dead" - my power brakes aren't active. So I had to adjust the pressure up a little bit. On my first trip everything seemed OK, but I will be fine tuning it before the next trip.
I would have preferred to hook up the IB to the battery as designed, and just somehow disable the electronic parking brake, but I'll talk to my Chevy tech next time I talk to them.
What would happen if you pulled the fuse to the electronic parking brake?

Our Buick Envision has two fuses that need to be pulled for towing. I installed a pair fuse socket extenders and a double pole on/off switch to disconnect/reconnect those two fuses. EZ/PZ!
I am new to the forum.
We have towed a Chevrolet Sonic for the past 7 years and last week purchased a 2020 Buick Envision to replace it. The Sonic towed perfectly but my wife wished a larger vehicle for her everyday driver. phil-t tows a Buick Envision and I hope he see and replies to this. For braking, since this is a braking thread, I will use the Blue OX patriot system that we used in the Sonic. The instructions in the manual for towing the Buick are simple and clear. What I have not been able to determine is if the steering locks on the Buick. This is my first car with a "push button" start system. phil-t - does anything need to be done beyond the instructions in the owners manual.

I am new to the forum.
We have towed a Chevrolet Sonic for the past 7 years and last week purchased a 2020 Buick Envision to replace it. The Sonic towed perfectly but my wife wished a larger vehicle for her everyday driver. phil-t tows a Buick Envision and I hope he see and replies to this. For braking, since this is a braking thread, I will use the Blue OX patriot system that we used in the Sonic. The instructions in the manual for towing the Buick are simple and clear. What I have not been able to determine is if the steering locks on the Buick. This is my first car with a "push button" start system. phil-t - does anything need to be done beyond the instructions in the owners manual.
Most late model steering wheels don’t lock.

I am new to the forum.
No. My process -
Pull up behind motorhome, place in park-turn car off (just like you were parking it), get out and attach towbar and wiring, back in car and start it, place in neutral and bush button to turn off, remove the two fuses (I have simple fuse extenders plugged in and wired a dp switch to cut the circuits to those two fuses. Being in neutral, the steering does not lock. Things appear (sound) like something is on but they will go off. If you lock the doors before that (going off happens) you will need the key to gain access. I usually leave the car unlocked while traveling.
When I first pull out after hooking up, I watch and "feel" the car for turns, etc.

Give a go on a dry run and check it out. It's about as simple a hookup as can be. No max tow speed limitations either.

Where in CNY are you?

FleetDavid, we went the other way with our TOAD, we started out towing my wife's 4,300 pound 2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland edition, and I just did not like the way it made our coach feel like it was fishtailing any time our speed got over 55 mph, so we bought a cheap 2,200 pound 2007 Toyota Yaris already set up for TOAD duty just over 2 years ago, and since then have dragged it around across 10 states covering close to 10,000 miles. It is a night and day difference in towing experience, with the Yaris I need to have the rear view camera on to know it is still back there, with the Jeep Cherokee there is never any doubt, and not in a good way.

thanks for the replies, the Chevrolet Sonic was pretty much like the Yaris, you only knew if was back there when you looked in the camera! Only issue we ever had was staying under 65 MPH when doing down hill, usually downshifted to 5. I really don't want to be going above 65 in a 26000 lbs MH but it will be nice not to monitor speed so closely in an interstate HWY. phit-t, do you leave the key fob in the car when towing? A dry run towing will be accomplished after I get it set up to go and yes, no max speed will be nice even though we tend to go 63 ish. BTW, Ithaca, NY.

FOB in my pocket, will not operate anything on the car with the two fuses out. You will need the key from the fob if the car gets locked. Give it a try so you know how it works.

excellent, good instruction. I have ordered the trailer hitch for the bike rack, I will install them. Get a blue ox base plate and will have someone install that. With the blue ox, I can use the tow bar and patriot braking system that I already have. I have not made a decision on what system to use for the lights on the buick while towing.

I used a wiring kit (came with diodes) from Etrailer. Need to run a 4-wire cable from front of car to rear for the lights.

THat wiring kit from Etrailer is what I was thinking to use. I watched the video on their website, and the install seemed easy enough. Did you run the wire along the bottom of the "frame" as they did?

Our Sonic has an extra bulb in the lighting fixtures that connects to the MH. No room in the LED fixtures that are on the Buick.

David

THat wiring kit from Etrailer is what I was thinking to use. I watched the video on their website, and the install seemed easy enough. Did you run the wire along the bottom of the "frame" as they did?

Our Sonic has an extra bulb in the lighting fixtures that connects to the MH. No room in the LED fixtures that are on the Buick.

David
I assume you were asking phil-t, but I'll throw my 2 cents in as well... I bought this model..

Simple install, following the existing wiring ( probably not so easy with your car (Mine is a simple and ancient 1986 Suzuki Samurai)... One problem I did have, was that the pot metal on the 6-wire connector shattered the 1st time I used it... I was still able to make it work, and etrailer is sending me a new connector as we speak... Hopefully the new connector will be of better quality...
Butch

Butch, Thanks for the answer, I will look up that part at etrailer. We had a Geo Tracker for about 10 years. One of our favorite vehicles ever. Only problem was with the Central NY winters and the cloth top, (vinyl) the heater was always going full blast.

Butch, Thanks for the answer, I will look up that part at etrailer. We had a Geo Tracker for about 10 years. One of our favorite vehicles ever. Only problem was with the Central NY winters and the cloth top, (vinyl) the heater was always going full blast.
Fun car... The SO Cal winters aren't as much of a problem.;) .... And I have a tintop, that helps a lot too... It does get a little cool (Upper 20s) while desert camping, during night rides...
Butch

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom