Total Eclipse 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirk

I am wondering if others are making plans to be anywhere special for the big eclipse? As it happens, we live in the path of totality and not that far from the center of the action. The Escapee RV Club has a gathering planned for Paris, TX but since we live about 100 miles from it and I'm cheap, we will just be watching from our neighborhood. What are you doing, if anything?

I am wondering if others are making plans to be anywhere special for the big eclipse? As it happens, we live in the path of totality and not that far from the center of the action. The Escapee RV Club has a gathering planned for Paris, TX but since we live about 100 miles from it and I'm cheap, we will just be watching from our neighborhood. What are you doing, if anything?
I’m also in the path of totality, but in a city, so I booked a Harvest Host nearby but hopefully away from the crowd.

I had a place in Sulphur City, Texas that was directly on the centerline. I made the reservations at a relatives house seven years ago but he died a few months ago so I am staying home and watch it on the Internet.

Like you two, we'll be staying home, our house is directly in the blue line path. I already have viewing "glasses", really cardboard with plastic film; plus I've had electric welding #13 glass replacements for my welding hood for decades.
We have zero-gravity chairs to lie back in for more comfortable viewing. All the comforts of home one might say. Now, the trick is for all of us to be healthy and able.
For the last one we went to TN with the S.M.A.R.T. RV club, One member had 2 telescopes all set-up with the proper filters and allowed other members to see the event really close-up; he even recorded the event.

Last edited:
We're just outside the path of totality (NY, zip 13416). I'll be working from home that day so I'll pop outside to see it. Kim has plans to drive out nearer to Syracuse to hopefully get right into the path.

My luck is I'd schlep all the way out somewhere and it'd be cloudy there that day. I've seen a few in my life and while it's curious and interesting, hard to justify spending large gas money for a couple hours of curiosity. A buddy of mine is so interested in these (how interested is he?) that he has travelled the world to see them. Odds are he rationalized the trip to see other cultural attractions but practically speaking you know how they end, so after the first few I have to wonder just what you expect to happen.

There's an eclipse connection to my ham radio hobby, HF propagation will be affected during the eclipse and not just in the path, so maybe I'll spend some time on the air and experience it that way.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I have some welding goggles and for cameras I have some strong neutral density filters, so in our yard with ~65% obscuration that's where I'll view and take some pictures. No trip planned or desired.

If you’re Assyrian don’t fall for the King For A Day trick. Total eclipses of the sun are bad news for the King and Queen of Assyria so they leave for a few days and the priests substitute some schmuck and his girlfriend to take the heat if the gods decide to start smitting rulers. Only problem is after the fake king and queen party like it’s 1999BC for a few days, the actual king and queen seeing the danger is passed, head back to town and just so the gods won’t get pissed and cause the Tigris and Euphrates to flood the world, the priests kill the unsuspecting and hungover fake king and queen.

I'm in Plano so I'm just gonna' walk outside and put on my super-duper eclipse glasses and look at my favorite planet - the sun!

I have reservations along the Frio river near Uvalde, now I just have to finish getting the motorhome back together before its time to leave, projects are getting close, have new hydro boost, new master cylinder in, both front wheels have new bearings, right front has new caliper, new exhaust donuts installed, just left front needs new pads, and I still have to track down a power steering fluid leak, which I think is on the return line.

I'm in the path of totality in N.E. Ohio south of Cleveland. It's pretty cloudy here year-round and we historically have about a 20% chance of clear skies in April. Nevertheless, I have an observatory in the backyard and will have an eclipse party with special telescopes to look at the sun throughout it's entirety if it's clear. No matter what happens it will be dark for three minutes in the middle of the afternoon.

I got to see the one in 2017 and it was spectacular! I hope all of you in the path get to see it!

Deer Crossing RV Park in Waco for us. Got their last spot in Jan of 23. Flat, no trees and the owners are having a big cookout. State of emergency in a lot of counties that will see totality. Locals urged to stock up due to expected demand from incoming visitors. If they are as well behaved as those at Woodstock all will be fine.

Deer Crossing RV Park in Waco for us. Got their last spot in Jan of 23. Flat, no trees and the owners are having a big cookout. State of emergency in a lot of counties that will see totality. Locals urged to stock up due to expected demand from incoming visitors. If they are as well behaved as those at Woodstock all will be fine.
Yeah, but will Country Joe and the Fish be there. " It's 1,2,3,4, what are we fightin' for.... "

We live right in the totality path, but we will be in AZ by then missing the eclipse entirely.

I signed up for the Escapees event but withdrew after finding out I will be in California housesitting for my sister until the end of March. I would have to do a Cannonball Run driving far more than I want each day to be in Texas in time for the event.

I was in Colorado the week prior to the 2017 eclipse and on the spur of the moment I drove up to Cheyenne, which was in the zone of totality. I arrived the afternoon before the eclipse and farmers along the highway were plowing their fields to bare earth and selling camping spots. I found a free spot in a county park next to a reservoir about 10 miles west of Cheyenne. The local college's astronomy club set up several telescopes next to me (I was there first, otherwise I wouldn't have intruded by parking close to them).

I drove into the city a couple of hours before the event to participate in the festivities. After the event the local news said over 80 private jets flew in that morning completely jamming the airport and there was a two hour lineup because they all wanted to leave immediately after the eclipse. I-25 was jammed with unprecedented Los Angeles style bumper to bumper traffic for several hours along it's entire length between Cheyenne and Denver. I just stayed put for another day until things cleared up.

I observed the one in 2017 while driving thru Massachusetts. It was interesting to see, but IMHO not worth traveling any distance to see it.
Actually got a better safer view watching it on the TV news. So we're going to stay put and see it on TV.
Wishing you all clear skies, for a great view, for those that are traveling for the sight. ;)

Back
Top Bottom