Total Eclipse 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I 'm right here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240316_121138_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240316_121138_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 8
End of the driveway for us, with 99.97% coverage. After reading about how crazy people have been to get reservations, we don't want to be near those crowds. We're traveling the week before and the week after.

I forgot to mention how eerily quiet it got as the sun was obscured. Birds were silent and it seemed like every one driving pulled over to watch.
Enjoy all .

I fortuatly live right under the center of the path. We'll have a family viewing party. I also travelled to Oregon, just north of Bend, for the last eclispe.
dcb in Vt.

I forgot to mention how eerily quiet it got as the sun was obscured. Birds were silent and it seemed like every one driving pulled over to watch.
Enjoy all .
I saw the opposite in Wyoming in 2017. As it got dark all of the birds who were foraging in the fields suddenly took flight to get to their nighttime perches. Then came back to the fields 5 minutes later when the sun reappeared.

Our county is in the path. I am president of the board of the local WSC and will be setting up my camera [Nikon P1000 w/solar filter] in the yard at the water company and treating the staff to a watching party. We are expecting 200k+ visitors in our county that weekend/Monday so I am only going to be traveling 3/4 of a mile to view the eclipse! Taking the Friday before, Monday and Tuesday off to avoid the traffic [I work in Dallas].

Deer Crossing RV Park in Waco for us. Got their last spot in Jan of 23. Flat, no trees and the owners are having a big cookout. State of emergency in a lot of counties that will see totality. Locals urged to stock up due to expected demand from incoming visitors. If they are as well behaved as those at Woodstock all will be fine.
Yes...stock up on everything a few days beforehand....the tourists will clear the shelves over the weekend!

DeckArtist I suspect your advise is on point. I was fortunate enough to see and photograph the 2017 eclipse at Hopkinsville, KY which billed itself as "Eclipseville USA" as they were right on the centerline with the longest totality of any city on the path at that time. The normal population there is about 30K and they estimated afterwards that about 150K were in the city or nearby. We had an RV site just outside town and the roar of the crowd in town at totality was pretty amazing. I will remember the experience forever.

I have some welding goggles and for cameras I have some strong neutral density filters, so in our yard with ~65% obscuration that's where I'll view and take some pictures. No trip planned or desired.
Insure your lens are shade #13 at a minimum to prevent eye damage. That normally rules out gas welding lens. During the 3-4 minutes of totality no glasses are required, its the before and after/partial that's damaging.

added; This seems to be the best website for eclipse information and weather near your area. Eclipsophile | Climatology and weather for celestial events

Last edited:
We bought a 10 pack of eclipse glasses last year. In 2017 it was hard to get them near the event! We will just give them out to others who have issues or didn’t think to bring them. The 2017 eclipse was so awesome! We were in very rural Idaho, and everyone went completely silent when totality happened.

Here is an important update for your eclipse viewing! It was just on the TV news that you should not attempt to drive in heavy traffic with your eclipse glasses on!
Your post made me remember many years ago I was driving (1976 Lincoln Continental) and unaware of the eclipse happening. My headlights came on automatically and i couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed oncoming vehicles had theirs on too, and turned on the radio to discover it wasn't a storm brewing..

I was just north of Alliance Nebraska for the 2017 event and I understand the airport was full of aircraft that had flown people in to see it. There were horses just across the street from where I was and they got very quiet in the minutes leading up to totality.

I'm beginning to think I won't make it somewhere to see the eclipse this time. Simply too much to do, mostly working on vehicles.

Charles

Maryland is in the 80% section, so I will just have to admire it from you guys pictures.

I'm right in the path of totality. Unfortunately this time a year we have cloud cover 60% of the time so you know the day before and the day after will be sunny but day off will have cloud cover.

I read the best conspiracy theory to date, on a conspiracy theory website I visit for laughs.

The theory goes: All those covid shots everyone got over the past couple years contained a secret drug that was engineered to be dormant. The drug can only be activated by an eclipse. All those people traveling to see the eclipse will be affected by the drug hidden in the covid shots.
The remain unaffected by the drug, stay away from the path of totality. Don't let FEMA/Illuminati/UN (or whoever is the current villain du jour) control you.

I love a good conspiracy. They can be very entertaining.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom