Total Eclipse 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a few of the ones I got from my driveway out in the country dead center on the line of totality. Cloud cover made for some interesting textures on an otherwise solid disc sun [except of course for the black spots]. Cloud cover obscured totality for the entire 4 minutes.

What, no flames?

Nikon P1000 [just got discontinued btw] at 1000mm and 2000mm zoom.

Attachments

• DSCN0735.jpeg
    DSCN0735.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0738.jpeg
    DSCN0738.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0751.jpeg
    DSCN0751.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0757.jpeg
    DSCN0757.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0767.jpeg
    DSCN0767.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0772.jpeg
    DSCN0772.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0781.jpeg
    DSCN0781.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
I was told the same thing growing up. I don't know, though. You ever take a look at Mandarin? I guess learning to speak and understand it would not be too difficult,
Leaning to speak Mandarin might be quite a bit easier than learning to speak Yu'pic given the sounds one would have to master:

Yup'ik is considered a complex language that is difficult to learn because of its unique sounds, which are not found in other languages, particularly English. Yup'ik is a collection of similar but distinct languages, including Central Alaskan Yup'ik, Central Siberian Yup'ik, Alutiiq, Naukan Yup'ik, and Serenik. Although these languages all come from the same proto-language, they are not mutually intelligible. For example, Cherokee is like Yup'ik, and a single word can convey an entire sentence. For example, "Tuntussuqatarniksaitengqiggtuq" means "She/he said again that she/he was not hunting caribou".

I was told the same thing growing up. I don't know, though. You ever take a look at Mandarin? I guess learning to speak and understand it would not be too difficult, but the writing is nothing but Sinograms...or pictograms, or whatever they are called. Whoever invented the Chinese typewriter was a genius.
I think I once heard that there are nearly 100 dialects of the Chinese language.

Leaning to speak Mandarin might be quite a bit easier than learning to speak Yu'pic given the sounds one would have to master:

Yup'ik is considered a complex language that is difficult to learn because of its unique sounds, which are not found in other languages, particularly English. Yup'ik is a collection of similar but distinct languages, including Central Alaskan Yup'ik, Central Siberian Yup'ik, Alutiiq, Naukan Yup'ik, and Serenik. Although these languages all come from the same proto-language, they are not mutually intelligible. For example, Cherokee is like Yup'ik, and a single word can convey an entire sentence. For example, "Tuntussuqatarniksaitengqiggtuq" means "She/he said again that she/he was not hunting caribou".
A side note to this language thing, Navaho code talkers were used in the WWII Pacific theater, Cherokee (I think) were used in the Atlantic theater of WW I. Both were very effective and their code was never broken.

Well, my plans to go to south east Missouri or southern Illinois went astray. I finished the brake job on the truck, but the 89 yo neighbor who for the past year I have been, shall we say... guiding, thru the medical mess following a broken left femur when he fell,..... called and said that the urologist only did the scope job on Mondays and only when he was on antibiotics, so it HAD to be the 8th. He drives fine (sorta) but they require someone to drive them home after the procedure. This all follows a UTI that he got from the catheter in the emergency room and has persisted since then. Its been a long road, largely due to his, shall we say, eccentric ways. (the bone surgery, plates, pins and rod, all healed and doctor released him 60 days after the surgery.)The UTI has been the ongoing mess.

Anyhow, I didn't get to go............... But I had eclipse viewing glasses, and I got home about ten minutes after peak partial eclipse (about 80% obscuration), so I grabbed them out of the trailer and took a peak. Sun was about 2/3 covered. It was impressive. The darkening of the sky is a surreal experience. I recall many years ago, a partial solar eclipse that it got dark enough to turn on the street lights (probably March 7, 1970 the path of totality passed across SE Georgia so we would have been very close to full, in Columbus GA, Obscuration : 93.760%)

The 2017 Eclipse I saw in Nebraska and was very surprised how you could see the shadow coming at you, and how the horses across the road acted during totality.

Yesterday I went , "neat, yes, whatever" gotta go feed the cats

Next one will be August 12, 2026 and you gotta be in north or eastern Spain or far western Iceland, or Mallorca Island. For those of you in Scotland ;>), you will get about 90% or better obscuration, so go ahead and squirrel away some eclipse viewing glasses.

Charles

Last edited:
NYC, LVN, DFW, and the list continues. English is the most difficult language to learn I'm told, this doesn't help.
I confess that I often refer to cities/towns using their airport designator. Just habit after more than 2 decades flying and doing logistics around Alaska.
Some are obscure- ADQ is Kodiak.
Some are more forgiving- Tatitlik (yes, it's pronounced like it sounds) is TEK. We all know what it should be.

Last edited:
Languages ......... Girlfriend (sort of, thats a 25+year novel......) well, the language she was educated in is Bahasa Malay, however her parents being ethnic Chinese, Chinese was spoken at home*, but while she claims to understand 7 dialects of Chinese she does not read or write it, though she has been attempting to learn some of the written language lately, Her English is rather good, and she had two years of English education in the British district of Penang Island (the area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site). Her niece was sent to Chinese school rather than public school and had to learn English "on the fly" after arriving in the US at age 13. Her Chinese, spoken and written traditional and simplified is quite good.

*her father having been a government employee for many years, speaks impeccable English, I have spoken with him on the phone. He is in his mid 80's and in a nursing home now.

Me, I can barely handle southern English :>) I recall a Hispanic lady at Newark airport security many years ago stopping me, "say something please" and then "I love to hear SOUTHERNERS speak" needless to say, I was left speechless :<(

Charles

Last edited:
We sat out on daughter 's patio and enjoyed the show. I should have some time to see if any of my pics turned out, tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom