Total rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi All,

Just a little more progress but very exciting. Once I was able to rap my head around the interior framing lay out I finally have a floor plan in existence.  Storage cabinet, AC cabinet, closet, bath room walls and refrigerator cabinet framing are done.

Tom,

Attachments

• Interior wall framing 1.jpg
    Interior wall framing 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 162
TC Tom, I will be 74 in October and still do more than most at my age but rebuilding a RV is getting out of my physical capabilities. I am having problems now with the wiring in my 67 Camaro because of the eyes.

Thanks for the comments.
I know what you mean about the eye thing. I carry two pair of glasses around. One to read  normal size print and the Coke bottle lenses to read a ruler and detail work. I refuse to get prescription bifocals because I,m always stepping on them because I didn't see them or some how breaking them. All my pants and shorts have to have cargo pockets so I can carry around all the old person stuff, 2 pairs of glasses, cellphone for when I fall and can't get up, Icey Hot for the aches and pains, oh well it could be worse. Got to be grateful I'm still kicking. I have to go to a wedding in June, not sure how the cargo paints are going to go with my suit coat. Maybe I'll just wear some old tennis shoes with the out fit and hope to get away with it because of my age.

Everyone take and happy camping!

Tom

Yes, the cargo shorts are a must. We are in Okeechobee, FL now at a Good Sam Rally. Got to keep going. We really enjoy our RV. In May we are off on our annual great adventure. Not sure yet where we will be but I know Omaha, NE is one of our stops. I sur want to see the finish pictures of your work.
Glen

Glen,

I think it's good to keep going, I don't like the alternative.
Were in Sarasota and planning on leaving late July. I think your leaving at a good time because summer is just around the corner Florida is a great place to winter but the summer is a bit much. Let us know where your trip takes you!

Tom

My wife caught me with three pair of reading glasses on at once. When your head is jammed into the pedals it's hard to get far enough away to focus on things under the dash. Three pair at once lets me see better than I did as a kid. She still bursts out laughing when it comes up.

Bill

I have friends who live in Sarasota. We normally come over to Sarasota in April for a big get together but we didn't make it this year. A bunch of us people who were originally from WV meet up there and have a picnic type get together. Many were High School classmates.

Hello All,

Just a quick up date. A little more progress, AC is in, pump and water supply lines installed, bed frames and storage compartment accesses.

Attachments

• AC and hot water tank.jpg
    AC and hot water tank.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 112
  • bath room plumbing.jpg
    bath room plumbing.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Bed frames.jpg
    Bed frames.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 101
  • Kitchen water pump.jpg
    Kitchen water pump.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 106
Tc Tom, Wow. Impressive work. I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask but for now you didn't really say much about how you married your floor to the trailer frame. Weld, bolt? Did you isolate one from the other in any way? If you would Tom, it would be good to hear about what experience you brought with you into this project beyond the truck camper and prior welding.

Tom, it is really looking nice as it is really coming together. We are still in Homestead as I ran into a health issue./ I guess now we will leave Aug 1st to San Antonio Tx, Dallas and then to WV. Not the great adventure we had planned but I am really enjoying my Mangoes.

DonCz said:
Tc Tom, Wow. Impressive work. I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask but for now you didn't really say much about how you married your floor to the trailer frame. Weld, bolt? Did you isolate one from the other in any way? If you would Tom, it would be good to hear about what experience you brought with you into this project beyond the truck camper and prior welding.
Hello DonCz,  thank you for the interest. I through bolted to floor to the trailer frame using the existing trailer frame supports and holes. If I remember right they 5/16 hex bolts with fender washers on top. They originally used an elevator bolt that has a nice almost perfectly flat head about an 1 1/2 in diameter. I could not find them in the length that I needed because of my extra floor depth. I isolated the aluminum floor framing from the steel trailer frame with 1/8 neoprene pads. I started camping as a small child thanks to my parents, hence the love of the outdoors. I have been around tents and campers most of my life as my father built a tent camper and then moved up to travel trailers. I've owned several travel trailers and a class c. Along time ago I worked as a mental heather worker. That education and experience helps me keep my sanity when I work my RV,s. From there I went into residential construction. For the past 20 years,which is hard to believe, I have been fortunate enough to be working on high end custom homes, starting around $350 a sq. to,our highest at $850 a sq. ft. It's been a very interesting journey.

Happy camping, Tom

gwcowgill said:
Tom, it is really looking nice as it is really coming together. We are still in Homestead as I ran into a health issue./ I guess now we will leave Aug 1st to San Antonio Tx, Dallas and then to WV. Not the great adventure we had planned but I am really enjoying my Mangoes.

GW, sorry to hear about the health issue. Hope your OK now!

I'm not so sure The Golden Years is the right term for this time in life. Isn't Tx really hot in Aug? We're planning on leaving about that same time. The trailer won't be totally finished but far enough along we can use it. It was interesting when I checked the wheel bearings. The break shoes had apparently never been adjusted out. The brake drums where the shoes would hit had no wear but the inside face where the electric brake magnet hit was worn down to the wheel studs. The shoes looked like new. Also the arm that the magnet is attached to was froze up on all 4 wheels. The previous owners must have just felt a little drag when they applied the brakes and thought they were working. That is what I thought when bringing it home. Oh well 4 new brake drums is a small price to pay to be sure I have working brakes.

You take care, Tom

Doing great, it turns out after numerous tests, it wasn't what the doctors originally diagnosed.  Itlooks like we will be heading to San Antonio the 12th Jul as one of our granddaughters will be graduating from basic training. From there who knows.

gwcowgill said:
Doing great, it turns out after numerous tests, it wasn't what the doctors originally diagnosed.  Itlooks like we will be heading to San Antonio the 12th Jul as one of our granddaughters will be graduating from basic training. From there who knows.

Hey that is really good new! Whats your granddaughters MOS? If we don't talk before your trip, have a safe and great trip!

Tom

I am not sure what she will be doing but I know she was supposed to be going in the medical field. I guess we will find out when we get out there. And thanks for the well wishes. I retired from the AF in 1979 so I have lost contact with everything. I know a few years ago they changed the job descriptions. I went to my sons retirement in 2005 which is when I started to realize I was getting old.

Tc Tom, I am new to the Rv world and I am thinking about doing this to my motorhome. I know the inside has to be gutted almost (it's an 1988 Coachmen) and I think I can handle the stuff inside with time and patience. But the outside I have some of the laminate coming away from the structure. What did you use for your siding? My other option was to have some of the cracks patched up and just have the motorhome wrapped, but was just wondering what  you used. The project you are doing looks freaking awesome!!

Wow!

Nice job.  Very cool you have the skills for that.  What do you think your total costs have been so far?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom