Towing TT with Yukon XL or Suburban XL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elkcamp

Currently I'm towing my TT (5400# Empty) with a 2006 Expedition. I've done the math and am well below my 8600# max towing weight, but I am wondering if there would be anything to gain by stepping up to a heavier longer wheel based SUV. GM makes the Yukon XL and Suburban XL. Both have 1/2 and 3/4 ton versions, though the 3/4 ton 2500s are hard to come by. I am trying really hard to keep from going the 3/4 pickup route as I have become comfortable having stuff in the back secure and dry.

What am I hoping to gain? A more stable towing platform.

Anyone out there with experience towing with a rig like this? Thanks.

A longer wheel base will indeed be a more stable towing platform.

A Ford Excursion would also do that, I think. An offshoot of the F250 chassis, so a really solid SUV. Last one was late 2005, though.

What about a Chevy Avalanche, the one that sorta converts from truck to SUV with a simple quick moves? Not quite the same as the big SUV, but maybe a reasonable compromise.
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/avalanche/

you can keep your stuff dry in the back with a pickup just by putting on a shell topper. If you have a sliding rear window you can still access stuff back there from the cab. You can get pretty creative even by getting an extended or crew cab and removing the back seat and opening up the back a little to make it really accessible from the cab.

I tow my TT, '06 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite, with my '99 Suburban 2500 4wd.  The Suburban seemed to ride better with the old trailer so I am still futzing with the hitch height and bar preload.  I really like the Suburban because you can carry people and equipment in the truck out of the weather and still have relatively easy access.  My only drawback is that I wish it was the 454 gas model and not the 350 version.  Some of the later model Suburbans than this have the 8100 motor.  Not necessarily a good gas mileage vehicle but what can you expect pulling a 5-6000 pound bread box.

I was looking at a Suburban to possibly replace my silverado when I was considering a TT.  I was sad to learn that they discontinued the 2500 version a couple years back.

I still might end up in a 1500 burb some day, since my back seat is crowded with my three kids.....

blw2 said:
I was looking at a Suburban to possibly replace my silverado when I was considering a TT.  I was sad to learn that they discontinued the 2500 version a couple years back.

I was previously advised (might have been mentioned in that other thread that I linked) that the post-2008 model year 6.0L GM V-8 in heavy-duty SUV's is a good alternative to the older 8.1L and 454's.  I haven't looked up the stats yet to see how they compare as far as payload goes.

Back
Top Bottom