Transfer Florida Plate to RV from west coast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simplgy

I am a Florida resident (Driver's license, remote mailbox, that sort of thing).

I own a vehicle with florida plates (this one: link in profile), and would like to upgrade to a Class B rig that will be comfortable for me to full time work/live in.

I'll be on the west coast, so I'm wondering--can I just transfer this Florida plate to the new vehicle without going all the way to Florida? I don't have time to get all the way back to Florida right now, so the alternative is (I think), changing my state residency.

I've read the FL DMV's requirements on plate transfers. They say either a FL dealer handles it for you, or you come in (booo) to the tax collector's office. I can't do that. I figure the good people of this community might have some clever solutions for this.

Anybody heard of a remote plate transfer service? Or a southwest RV dealer that will handle the plate transfer remotely? Would you register a vehicle in a state you don't reside in (eg: South Dakota LLC)?

Thanks for the help folks!

I think your best bet is to call a Florida DMV office and ask if they can do it via phone and fax.  I live in Marion County FL and have found the local DMV offices there (actually the County Tax Collector's office) to be very willing to assist in any legal way. Call 352-368-8200 and explain your problem. Or call the office in whatever county you have listed as your Florida home, but I would avoid the big city offices. My experience has been that they are typically too busy to take time to resolve oddball problems.

Having purchased a few vehicles privately out of state, I've had to take them to the tag office for VIN verification.

The Florida procedure is to physically view the vehicle and check the vin tag.
I would not recommend putting the plates on another vehicle without proper registration, that could lead to the vehicle being impounded.  Can you get a temp plate for vehicle transport?

Thanks for the answers guys.

It seems like there's no way around a physical VIN inspection, and there was no agent outside of FL that was allowable to them as a VIN inspector. Guess I'm thinking of changing residency now.

What u need is form 82042 completed by a out of state leo, or out of state auto dealer on there letterhead see section "B" it's worded poorly but is the proper form.  Retired from "DHSMV" Tallahassee  last year Good Luck and yes you'll be dealing with the Tax Collector in your Fl county of residence  Form is here  http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82042.pdf

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom