Trying to make good use of my time

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My husband wants to fix some electrical hookups and water so folks going through can stop in and
stay the night if they want.  Of course with all the stuff he has to do I think it might be awhile.  But he
is going to try to get electric to the motorhome garage next trip home.  We have plenty of room
in the circle drive to accommodate guests though if there were more then one might have to wait for those in front to leave first! :)

We are beside a tiny little town of 200, not much here.  There is a lookout at the bluff where you can see
for miles miles into Illinois.  It has a shelterhouse, kids playground and is just pretty.  We have a college that was built in the 1850's and ran till 1924.  It's on 25 acres and is now a Christian summer camp for kids.  We also have the smallest Carnegie Library in the US, still in operation too. We even have 2 diners that are pretty busy they open very early and serve till 1:30, one is open on Friday nights. 

On the bluff there are some old RV hookups, I asked why they haven't done anything about advocating
tourism or fixing it so folks can stop by.  There is very little on highway 41 for people with rv's to stop until you almost get to Evansville, we are 6 miles off the road.  They could update that and if people came could add more here.  You can go down to the Wabash River and fish but I'm not sure they are
maintaining the road well anymore.

The ones of us interested can't do much.  They do have an annual Chatagua, it used to be a really
big deal here. They are more interested in tearing down the houses in town as they deteriorate instead of do anything.  We have a pretty large farming community around as evidenced by keeping two restaurants in business and the local powerplant helps.

Anyway, we are at Merom, Indiana, anyone want to drop by and stay the night feel free.  Right now I can only offer water and you could dump your gray water, that doesn't hurt anything.  Or if you could
get by with 20amp right now until he gets 50 amp service in you are welcome.  Of course you could
always run a genny.

There is Sullivan Park and Lake, they say it has good fishing and a campground, not far from 41 also.  But the hookups are electric and water, you have to go to a dumpsite for the tanks.

Anyway, anyone comes through this way send me a note, you are welcome to stop by.

Carolyn

I have been mowing, I have 4 acres :eek:, more then the last place, I can mow it in 4 hours.  I did half yesterday and half today.  We do have a steep ditch across the front about 400 plus feet across there. I am having to weedeat about 300 ft of it.  I told hubby that is the only issue I have here with yard work.  I am thinking of getting someone to put fabric down and riprap on top so I don't have to do it. It's just to much and today it was still to wet for me to get down in.

I did weedeat a lot of the yard then went to MIL's.  I went around her house, she is 86 and still able to mow, in fact she mows an old churchyard next to her so I'm guessing 2 acres there.  The ditches around the property are growing up, she can't do that, so I weedate a bunch today.  The state is not doing a very good job either.  This gov keeps wanting to cut taxes so its killing basic services.  Our tax rate is only 3.5% so I think its ridiculous. Education is hurting and mowing and everything. I was cleaning around the stop sign and the corner as a bunch of old ladies live there and its starting to obstruct their vision as they have only mowed once this summer.  (I say old ladies and I will be 68 in March ::)  Also at the back of MIL's.  I'm weedeating more then I planned as I'm checking the ditch area to see if I can get my big 61 inch cut there and clean it back some.  I just had a new motor put in it so don't want to tear it up.  I'm going to use my pull behind sprayer and her John Deere and spray all the ditch behind her property, probably 600 ft??? and cut what trees out of it I can.  Otherwise its going to get out of hand pretty quickly.  I can cut a lot of little saplings with my trimmers, the slightly bigger ones are soft wood so likely won't take much to take them out.  The fellow that I think did some of this who lives across the road is not well enough to do it.  We are seeing the aging of America here.  All the people here but a couple are way up in years and do well to keep their own places maintained.

I don't mind doing it as I have to do something to keep my weight down.  But may have to wait till it cools down a bit more.  Also cleaned the corner across from us so visibility is good.  If everyone would do a little it wouldn't be this way.  I remember when farmers used to mow all the ditches, but this is state roads and should be maintained better, even though they are secondary.  But its a far cry from when I was growing up and tried to help dad.  I'm sure some of you remember the old mowin' scythes, I would go down the sides of our small farm and cut the weeds down with one of those.  Even using the small stuff now is easier then that.

Off to look at and test drive a Cadillac SRX, need to see if you can tow the AWD 4 down, they say you can, anyone know for sure?  I will ask to see the manual.

I just saw on the site where someone else asked and Gary said they are.  However, I know I have to check if the current year is as sometimes that changes.  Tom said get a 2014.  I'm still not sure though, I'm also looking at the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk but its heavy, 5500 pound, the SRV is 4000 or so.  My little Saturn is only 3500, may just keep towing it and not take the new one.

The Caddy SRX is towable 4 down with no modifications, we have several friends that tow them. However I am not sure that all model are towable 4 down so check the owners manual on the model you look at just to be sure.

Per FMCA magazine towable guide both the two wheel drive and the AWD wheel drive are towable.
They list the AWD as weighting 4442 lbs.

They show the Jeep Grand Cherokee as 4632 lbs. Not much difference, but in fact both will weight more when optioned and with our stuff in them. The SRX probably is a little more luxurious and Jeep is better on the back roads and off road. Personally I like the Jeep better, but then I'm on our 3rd Jeep. Our discussion is between a Grand Cherokee Overland and a Wrangler Rubicon. No real issue yet, because I don't want to buy a new vehicle until we get back from Alaska next summer.

Anyway, both are great vehicles.

ken

PatrioticStabilist said:
Ouch it weighs 5500 pounds, my little Saturn doesn't weigh much I don't think.

I'm having a really hard time finding what I want, sigh.

I suspect that, with the power and torque your coach has, you  won't notice the difference very much. On a gasser it'd be different.

Well I bought a 2013 Cadillac SRX, glacier blue.  I wanted an AWD but all they had left was white and I've had to many white or gray vehicles. Also I hate black interiors and this has a light colored one, I think it's gorgeous inside.  Sue Anne has already taken over the touch screen radio and I like the built in navigation.  We were playing with all the doohickies coming home.  A heated steering wheel, really?  It is really strange not to have a key for the car to start it.

They had no idea when the 14's were coming in, I really don't believe that but its ok.  I did not do great on price but I worked them down a few thousand and then got a $2k rebate. I let him go through the 6 year 0 financing thing, then when we got done I asked if I could get that price less the rebate if I just paid for it, wasn't much he could say then.  But you just can't negotiate like you used to. Tom hates to have to haggle, I like it! ;D

I had read reviews that were not terrific and I can't say the gas mileage is fabulous 17/24 but it is flex fuel.  My night vision isn't great but the headlights which I believe are LED's plus the fog lights gave me a tremendous field of vision particularly on brights.  Out here our big concern is deer and this gives you an expanded field of vision on both sides.  It's loaded with all kinds of goodies that will likely be a nightmare if they quit working.

I thought about looking at a Jeep but I've had a lot of different vehicles and always wanted a Cadillac so thought I would try it, if I don't next time will try something else.  Tom says front wheel drives will do very well in the snow anyway.  And its mainly getting out of our driveway to the road is where the problem is.  And yes I had them get the manual out and AWD and FWD are both towable 4 down.  But you have to pull the trim and boot cover off the transmission lever and push down a manual button under them.  I hope that doesn't mess the trim up pulling it off and on.

I guess I will find out if its a pain with all the electronics or not.

Congrats on the Cadillac.  I too want one really bad but dear hubby said I have to wait until the Saturn is wore out...there is only 40Miles on it so I guess it will take some time to wear out.  Please post info on towing it behind the coach when you do and let me know how it is.

Congratulations, Caroline.  If anyone ever has earned the pleasure of owning a Cadillac SRX, it's you -- in spades!  Enjoy!  :)

Good luck on wearing out that Saturn, this one has  82k miles on it and only thing I've done after buying it used was put in a new battery.  I may keep towing it instead, I will for sure until Tom gets time to change out the stuff on it.  It may be like my new gas stove, soon it will be in the garage a year.  I am having problems finding people here to do things for me.

But it will look really nice sitting in the garage, will stay clean and won't wear out that way. ;D

Tom is a sweetie, he said go get what I want.  At least the mighty gas guzzler, that didn't even get 10mph is gone.  We needed it to move our stuff but we don't now and that's ridiculous.  He is taking my Lincoln truck and when he retires, there is that word again WHEN, I say IF, he can keep it or trade it.  But it still looks like new, has 59k miles on it and is a 2006 so we wouldn't get anything.  I have to get the drivers seat cover on the bottom replaced and he said have seat covers put on the front seats as they are a light tan color and he will get them dirty so I will. It doesn't have any dings or anything, I take care of my vehicles.

I have an elderly friend in Oregon that wants the Saturn, but a stick?  And I haven't asked if she will come down and get it or not.  I'm not doing anything with it for awhile, we will see.

Been really busy doing stuff.  I need to get on the stick and get my fixes done to the old Eagle.  Sue Anne and I were talking today and we are starting to get a bit antsy and getting that urge to go somewhere.  However, need to get baby ready first.  I should have taken the time to get her somewhere already.

Oil change, has 6k on her by me
New tires, ouchie, big expense
Front levelor repacked
New fan motor on generator radiator

Going to talk to some guys locally and see if they can do the 3 items at least and call Vincennes about the tires.

I think I'm going to stick with the Saturn as a toad for awhile, just don't have the heart to drag my new car behind her yet.

Need to start working on this stuff. Today another 10 pints of B & B Pickles, that's 28 and I quit.  1 quart of pickled cauliflower, an experiment.  Also peach jam and quarts and quarts of frozen, gorgeous, delicious peaches.  Froze some more corn, not sure what I have but 40 or more containers, blackberries, and blueberries up too.

I do want to can, freeze, and make sauce out of apples.  I had enough of other things left this year.  Tom thinks I need to quit or cut way back on gardening, but we so love the results of putting up all the good food.  That's going to be hard for me to do.

Carolyn,
congrats on new Caddie.  We have the 2014 on order and will pick it up mid September in Oregon. Did you see the ad in Forum for a blue Ox  base plate to fit it ? $100.  Of course we have already ordered the parts and they are waiting at  towing place  for the  install when we arrive.

We talked with several owners who tow the vehicle prior to our purchase and all were very happy.  Even air conditioned seats!  A good thing when you live  in the desert of Arizona! So keep us posted on how you like it.

Betty

I wanted the 2014, Tom said I should have gotten it, but did get some money off on the 2013 and they didn't know when they would get the 2014's.  I still haven't figured out how to use all the stuff on it  It rides nice.  The other thing hubby said is you should have gotten the AWD but I did not want another white car, and love the glacier blue, so did FWD it should help on the snow some I guess.

I found a place here that will work on the motorhome.  Wetnights Trailer in Terre Haute, I think they were in business 30 years ago so I'm taking it up next week and he will give me an estimate, I know its just how many zeros that is behind that comma is the only issue :eek:.

By the way our manual with the old motorhome says the oil change interval is 6000 miles so that's what we are going to do.  Likely newer diesels are different.

They don't do tires so once this stuff is done I will check with Vincennes and see, apparently they are with the FMCA discount deal so that's good.

Back
Top Bottom