Trying to make good use of my time

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh it will if they don't take it not a problem but there is a reason they really really want it, it connects to land his dad owns and he will end up inheriting.

And if they don't this area is going commercial so it will sell at the full price or near it, either way we have been here for 20 years so it will be a tidy profit. And we don't have to be in a hurry to sell, so that helps too.

And yep we got the old girl inspected, drove it about 50 miles with AC's and things on to work the genny, she just purred along.

I need to clean her and sort throught the bays and junk in there.  I can't believe the clutter!  It may be the end of next week but go we are.  Wish I could get my air horn fixed, that weak little truck horn is embarrassing but I had forgotten about it.

Our house sale didn't happen but that's ok, it was one of those out of the blue things anyway, we weren't ready to put it up for sale yet so that will happen later.

We do have a couple of contracts on another rent house , they were so close together in price we gave them an option to increase the price if they want to, but only 24 hours to decide then we will pick, no sense on letting it string out.  We are keeping a few as the folks are wanting to stay they have been very long term renters so we consider that a good thing.  I have 4 lots to sell in an RV subdivision.  They are a street to street corner lots.  We had intended to put 4 RV's on them and rent them but not now, so I'm selling.  It's definitely a lower income area so we shall see what I get out of them.

I brought another load of things to Indiana, half tools half household goods so obviously we did not make it to Florida yet.  I was going to head back to Texas Friday but got to thinking this is the worst days of the year to drive so I'm waiting till next Monday.  Will get back to Texas and have my handyman help me load more tools and a lot of the household goods remaining.  We are selling some stuff or donating and I've been cleaning and pitching stuff for weeks. Being in 1 house for 20 years is w a y to long, you accumulate to much stuff. We will get the trailer loaded and all tied down, I will have him put it in the garage and close it up.  Then I plan on taking Sue Anne and go to Florida for a couple weeks, have to decide if I'm going to take the motorhome on up and then driving my toad back to Texas or go back through Texas and picking up the truck and trailer.  I would like to spend Christmas in Indiana but have to see how it goes.  If we stay in Florida to long then I will have to go directly up.  Then I will either be loaded to take more up or if I don't get that done then Tom can drive it up when he comes in in January. I would like to help him though and get 2 loads up here before he gets home.  He is tired when he gets in and then stays tired all time he is home.  He doesn't say so but I don't like to see him like that.

We also need to finally get mail and everything moved up, we were planning on changing over at year end, one of the reasons we hadn't been in to much of a hurry. It's mostly for tax reasons to have a clean break at that time.

But I promised DD a trip to Florida and I intend to keep it, I need it too.  We are doing good on moving and selling so we will get there, will just take us time. Now I'm hoping the weather won't turn bad on us so we can't get the motorhome up.  The garage for the motorhome is ready but has no electricity, wish it did.

Got home last night.  This morning cranked up the motorhome and let her run for about an hour, same for genny.  Turned on furnace to take out damp feeling, its going to warm up some but been cold.

Turned on pump, ran water, had heater blower on too.  Air bags filled everything seems to be in order.

I want to finish caulking around seams next week.  Also wash the motorhome if it warms up enough, clean bays, and inside.  We may get out of here for a bit the 9th or 10th.  I was going to pack more stuff but think instead will go first and then come back and do it.  Nobody else will so it will be waiting on me.  Then in Jan when Tom comes home he is taking a load up.  I plan on driving the motorhome up after I pack more stuff here.  Was going directly from Florida, but if I keep putting it off never will get there.  I should get it up there before the weather gets bad.  Hope we can go again in Feb or so even if it does!

Later all, a million errands to run.

Have a contract on another rental, inspected yesterday, have to see what they find.  I went over it so I hope nothing but they always seem to find something and its an FHA contract.  I sure don't like those, picky, picky, picky.

Carolyn, just running the main engine without a load does it no good. You might as well leave it off. Diesels like to run and get up to operating temps. Take her out for a spin.

I did before I was gone several weeks, drove about 50 miles, didn't have time today.  I ran the AC to load the genny that time, hopefully will be taking a trip soon and give the old girl a load to work with.  I just can't seem to get time.

News from the jungles of Borneo, near Malawan, Indonesia

Got my usual call from hubby then he called me back.  He said you won't believe this.

He went to clean the kettles they deep fried the turkeys in and strain the grease was to hot yesterday to do.  He said he heard this big crash and saw a mama orangutan and her baby fall out of a tree.  They were swinging from one limb to the next and the limb broke.  It hit his truck, broke off the side mirror and gouged the truck.  He was close by and said the mom started throwing limbs at him.  He said if you get to close to them, they throw limbs or rocks at you.  I said that should be an interesting incident report to the company.  Truck damaged by falling monkeys, they will wonder what you were drinking.

He told me the whole camp is full of them, they look for food and are everywhere.  But he got a kick out of that.  Truck damaged by falling monkeys. At least no giant lizards for now.

I know he wants to be home for Christmas, I think this year he is struggling with it.  You just know he is wanting to see and have time to enjoy his new place.

Thought you guys might get a kick out of that one. ;)

Wouldn't it be fun to see the look on the face of the person who processes that incident report?  Funny!

Oh that's a good one!  Thanks for the chuckle.  Hope they believe him!

ArdraF

I can't remember if I posted a picture of the new motorhome garage and here's a picture of the house too.  As you can see its snowing here.  My MIL said they haven't had anything like this in 5 or 6 years, they saved it just for us.

The motorhome garage is 18 X 44, our old Eagle is 38 I believe, have to look.  Haven't brought it up yet, will when we come back from Florida.  Tom is home the 12th of January, we are bringing rest of household goods up and possibly some more of his tools.  He said he might make 2 trips up while he is home, I'm not, just one, then back down to get the motorhome ready to go.

We had the new drive dug down 6 inches, you can't see it in the pics.  Had tybek?  or whatever the fabric underlayment put under before the #23 or 53 rock was put on.  Hubby said drive on it till next summer then we will add more.  The newest part of the circle I just had done so will need to come in on the original drive until we put more layers on the new, its kind of narrow, all the new is much wider.  He said once the rock gets wet it will set up like concrete and make an excellent base.  All I can say is I never knew rock cost that much.  I had the part straight forward out of the garage dug down deeper too so we will have enough base to support the motorhome. 

Here's a few pics.  The snow would be ok but with the horrible winds we lost our TV service about 5 days back and won't be fixed till Friday, was supposed to be here today but a blizzard kind of stopped that!  We do have internet, radio, and books but I'm sure missing it.

One of my friends on another forum showed me how he can make my pictures look better.  He worked on contrast and trimming the pics.  I got a nice Canon Power Shot SX40HS and need to work on taking good pics with it.  Seems like the editing will really give me good shots.  Today I just learned how to resize and post to the internet and send to Tom so I'm a long ways off yet.

Attachments

• New Garage (1024x768).jpg
    New Garage (1024x768).jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Looking toward state road 58 (1024x768).jpg
    Looking toward state road 58 (1024x768).jpg
    462 KB · Views: 58
  • Back porch (1024x768).jpg
    Back porch (1024x768).jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Front porch (1024x768).jpg
    Front porch (1024x768).jpg
    441 KB · Views: 45
I have a feeling we will be heading south in the winters.  We saw a place on here in Waycross, Georgia Tom is wanting me to look at if its still available when I head for Florida.  He said it won't be super warm but shouldn't be that bad either, its just a couple miles from Florida, has storage and 2 RV hookups and we can run down into Florida and rent places for awhile if we want.

My MIL said its the first time in about 6 years that they have had snow and cold like this, I guess its initiating us!  I don't mind that much, honestly I got sick of the 100 degree days and the droughts we were having I think last year something like 100 days.  And they are bringing in a bunch of industry around the Woodlands, Texas and the congestion is bad now.  And if I never see another fire ant in my life it won't be to soon and I'm tired of being politically correct with all the illegals down there, I know, I know. Also though we are in a rural area some of our neighbors are selling commercial and who wants to live around that?

His mom is also 84 and this should give her a few more years at home.  We took her with us today out for lunch and shopping.  Tom's only brother died about 10 years ago and his dad passed seems like about 5 now and though she has some close neighbors that's about it.  My mom did not do well coming down with us and I don't think she will either.

I love the spring, summer, and fall here we will see how the winters go.  But if we waited longer she isn't going to be around and our daughter also likes to spend time with her grandma.  And she is slipping just a bit but I can see a change already with people to talk to and getting out with us.  She is perking up pretty good.  Also we worried about us passing on and leaving our DD at the mercy of Texas and their system.  So we don't know if we are doing right or wrong but I just felt like we needed to do this.

And the rentals we had, folks are struggling bad, the mix is getting different then we have had for years.  We could always rent the $950 houses to a working couple with no problem. Now the working folks down there are getting poorer and cobbling together several family members to try and pay rents and that doesn't bode well.  The wages in Texas are 20% below the national average, so they are struggling.
I'm selling a couple keeping a couple where we have long time renters that want to stay.  Decided to get our money out.  The economy is so uncertain.

So that's kind of a long statement of why we are moving.  I suppose we will figure out if its right or wrong later, but we will survive anywhere.
And like I said I don't think we will be here in the winters, likely gone January to March or so.

Carolyn,

I'm sad to read your last post. You've made the decision and you don't have to justify it. We all have our priorities and your reasons are appropriate for you, but you don't have to bad mouth Texas to justify your positions. Frankly, you personify the Texas attitude in your other posts above. You're an independent, self sufficient, American!

Those of us who make/made our own way in this world really appreciate your attitude. I moved my parents from Maine to Texas and it worked out well for us and them (now deceased), but that doesn't mean its right for you.

Please don't take this badly; I, and I'm sure most others on this forum greatly admire you and Tom both.

Ernie

Ernie there are big problems with the system for the mentally challenged in Texas.  They have not even placed any clients for about 3 years now, there are 20 years worth backed up in our county, I don't know what it is in Harris County. Indiana has its share of problems too.

In November I got a small amount of SS more, so Sue Anne draws off me.  She was over $3 for December so she lost her medicaid, we think she may be back on it in January maybe.  I had planned to just transition her over to Indiana's but if she isn't qualified again we have to start the process all over again She has medicare but you cannot buy any supplements for her we would if we could, but the premiums would probably be prohibitive.  And in the 70's they turned mentally challenged out of the institutions wholesale onto the streets, many people witnessed it in downtown Houston, that was where a lot of the street people came from.  You just don't know the nights I have laid awake agonizing over this.

But you see without at least $1 in medicaid she not only lost it, she lost her place on the grouphome list we had waited for for 12 years.  That means if something happens to us then what. And what would happen if we were dead and she lost eligibility, would she get kicked out on the street?  She wouldn't survive 3 days.  I wasn't going to say anything about all this.  But I had worried about this happening for a long time. Our MHMR people went to bat for us and apparently Texas does not have a law like other states to protect clients like her.  The only reason she got served after 12 years was because the ARC filed a lawsuit many many years ago saying they were not serving the least able to protect themselves and they won against the state of Texas, so she got service for about 3 years.  I said well when we leave at least someone else will get her slot, they said no, the ones that drop out they will not put anyone else in, I guess the ones placed because of that lawsuit but about that I'm not sure.  I just felt like the writing was on the wall for her.

I'm not wanting any pity party here but I didn't like seing illegals getting the benefit of services there and someone who is a citizen with taxpaying parents getting the short end, but that's just me, but obviously that was just a small part of it.

We do know people up here and I am going to start working in the system to see what we can find for her.  We have to get her lined up for a slot somewhere, we will be 67.  I hope we have 20 more good years.

A private group home easily runs $6000 a month.  At one time we planned to do that, but they were basing the 30 years of her projected care on our savings plus her getting her dads SS, 3/4's after his  death but as many of us know with extremely conservative investments there is little or no income and that modest % added to it would have done it.  Tom decided to work a few years longer to raise the amount she will get but even with it the money will run out long before 30 years.  So that's when I decided that we would just try and keep her at home long as possible.  We do not know the longevity of someone with Williams, we do know there are some in their 50's now, so who knows. I don't know what will happen down there to people like her but they will stop serving them quick as they can, Perry has already said they won't take federal medicaid so you know its not going to get better for the disabled, but obviously you know I am very prejudiced over this issue.  I understand the entitlement issues, etc, really creates a quandry for folks like us. I so hate for things like this to be political.

So see its a lot of issues and we couldn't take the chance down there of her being left on the street, like I said right or wrong I don't know, think its panic mode because all the states are trying to jetison the least able to care for themselves, both people like her and the poor elderly, I kept hoping it wouldn't happen to her there but looks like it may have.  I don't know, what would you folks do? 

And no way would my MIL come with us and I can't care for both of them in my home, I tried that with mom and it just didn't work so this way she can stay in her home for hopefully, a lot longer.

So that's my story, just the toss of the dice or whatever, but we will work it out.  We are hoping by keeping her home longer we will be able to pay private when the time comes if he and I don't eat our savings up in medical expenses.  It wasn't the plan but stuff happens. And that's my story and I'm a stickin' to it! :eek:

Got my TV service back but now internet service seems to be sporadic.

If I don't get back on in time I wish all of you a Very Happy New Year!

Carolyn,

Oops! I appologize for appearing critical of you. I do appreciate your dilemma, but I'm sure you recognize that there is another side to that coin. Years of no State income tax,  manyemployment opportunities, low property taxes and living in a growing, prosperous state with few restrictions on what you could do to improve your properties represent a substantial advantage for gogetters like you and Tom. You might well be worse off, on balance, if you had spent your working lives in the frozen wasteland! Iknow that I would be. TANSTAAFL!

Again, I truly do understand your problem (been there, done that in reverse) and do not present this discussion as critism, just  presenting the other side as I see it.

Ernie

Carolyn, it is not only in Texas where the mentally challenged were turned out onto the streets in the 70's this is a national problem. Sometimes I can't help but wonder what happened to our collective humanity. 

I know and noone cared and now there is even less humanity then back then.

There are no easy answers.  But believe me I'm seeing a big difference in the ability of renters to pay in Texas, likely the same all over.  Their jobs are uncertain, pay is not keeping pace, they are cobbling people together to pay rent.  It's happened pretty quick actually over the last year.  And not in just one neighborhood.  People that used to easily been able to pay are now living paycheck to paycheck.  So even if we had stayed I was going to divest the 2 rent places in Harris County.  I never had the turnover in nice properties like those before.

Of course those coming in with educations in marketable skills are doing well but housing in our area is very expensive.

I also worried leaving her with absolutely no support system when we are gone.  By the time we kick off here she will be reintegrated into the community and I think with it being smaller people have more of a tendency to watch out for one another.  Guess time will tell.

It's a shame folks paid in to a system they felt would serve them and the government spent the money.  But we are all guilty, if they had refused to give us all we wanted we would not have voted them in.

I don't know what the future has in store but her safety is important to us.  If what Texas wants to do happens kids like her are doomed down there.  And since I could see it coming just couldn't wait until we were to old to move and reestablish ourselves in a community.

If you have a good education, no family members with special needs, or have tons of money,  the Woodlands area has a lot of good educational facilities and other amenities.  But the way its growing out there its going to be a parking lot, far cry from when we moved there 20 years ago.

Guess we will see how it plays out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Praise Bus
Back
Top Bottom