TT for Family of 5 + 100# dog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amys_Outdoor_Fam

Hi all, can anyone recommend a specific, or general model/layout/length?

We have 3 kids (6, 8, & 10)

Big wants would be table all 5 of us could fit around for games.  We're reasonably tall (our 10 year old is in adult sneakers) - so beds rated for adults would be good as we are hoping for a good 10+ years of camping...

We have walked thru many models and loved the layout of a Jayco Jayfeather X18D - but are hesitant about the "pop out" sides after reading some unfavorable reviews.  (it had pop-out front, rear & side).

Depending on size, we'd pull with hubby's 2010 Ford Explorer XLT, or we may invest in a suburban.....

Thanks much! 

Hi Amy, my husband and I just bought a 2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS. It has 3 bunks in the back, the two top ones are rated up to 220 lbs; a queen size bed in the front, a queen size sofa bed and a dining room that can sleep 1 or 2 depending on size.
Before we bought this one, we were looking at hybrids but we were discouraged from getting one because of the Monday routine (opening it up after a wet weekend). (We understand that routine too well because we had a pop up and it would be a similar thing that we didn't want to deal with).
I'm not sure of the weight restrictions on your automobile and maybe you are looking at hybrids because of it, but take a look at other floorplans because they may be lighter than you think.  We looked for the right trailer for almost 6 months; some on this forum looked for their perfect trailer for 2 years!  Whatever you do, make sure you LOVE the floorplan and it suits ALL your needs - don't rush it and don't settle for something because you think you can't find one!  There IS one for you out there!

Biggest thing to also consider is the weight of the trailer you might purchase. It would be best to find out what the tow vehicle is rated for and might be a good idea to get a scale weight of the family packed in and see where you sit as of right now. At least when you go to the RV dealer you can come to the table with information about you tow vehicle and current weights.

We looked for the right trailer for almost 6 months; some on this forum looked for their perfect trailer for 2 years!  Whatever you do, make sure you LOVE the floorplan and it suits ALL your needs - don't rush it and don't settle for something because you think you can't find one!  There IS one for you out there!

ChristineB is right you want to talk your time in choosing a floor plan that fits your family. During this hunt for the prefect RV do keep in mine that you might have to upgrade tow vehicles.

The biggest issue will be the length of any of the bunks. The longest are 74" and on almost every floorplan, they but up against a wall (no hanging feet over). Some also are only a little more than 2' wide - very narrow.

Another option would be something like this: two couches that make into full/queen airbeds, and a king dinette (that also folds into a large bed). Those two chairs in the floorplan can be subbed out for another opposing pullout couch airbed: http://www.keystone-outback.com/index.php?page=floorplans&coast=&model=298RE

There are also some bunk house models here: http://www.keystone-outback.com/index.php?page=floorplans

I just grabbed these Outback floorplans, but many other manufacturers have similar ones as well. I have had two previous Outbacks and both were fantastic. They have higher ceilings too, which is something you'll want to check out as well.

One other thing - these are somewhat heavy, and you'll need to research your tow vehicle for it carefully. If you decide to go the Outback route, check out this site too for specific info related to just this brand: http://www.outbackers.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Thank you all for the input!  We are trying to do tons of research as we are moving up from tent & trying to skip the "pop up" step for a more long term solution.  We don't know what we don't know - so we've given ourselves at least 8+ months to research & educate ourselves.

My kids would love that coachmen... and the Outbacks are amazing.  Really liking the 210RS....

Ah, dare to dream!

Thanks again!

Amy

The best thing to do is just research to find what you like. Some day trips to larger RV dealers helps too - you can actually get in some of these and get a really good feel.

Best of luck on finding the perfect one for your family!!  :)

Amys_Outdoor_Fam said:
My kids would love that coachmen... and the Outbacks are amazing.  Really liking the 210RS....

Ah, dare to dream!

Thanks again!

Ditto the above post.  We did the PUP thing.  Some of the best years we camped involved our pop-up.  Eight years worth. 
BUT...with 3 young guns, space will be an issue in your case.  You have the time to do your homework.  Do so.  You won't regret it.

I can offer this much with a family of three, plus 1 big a@@, clumsy German Shepard...
Slideouts can be your friend!  If you are looking at new, floorplan and configuration will be your choice.  Choose carefully and work your best deal.
If your also checking used RV's, just be careful.  Think before you commit because of price.

All considered, as mentioned before, your tow vehicle is a huge part of the equation (unless you decide on a pusher).  Don't forget about it!

You sound like your on the right track.  Take your time and ask all the questions you want before you sign the dotted line. 

I know you state that you are looking for a TT but I wanted to share our situation.  We have 4 kids and a large dog and we bought a 5th wheel toy hauler (Voltage 3950).  The unit has 4 queen sized beds, so plenty of sleeping room and the garage area is a perfect area to let the dog in without smelling up the rest of the unit.

We are a family of 5 as well with kids ages 15, 10 and 8 and we also have two dogs.  This year we purchased a 2013 Keystone Passport 3220BH.  Queen in front, U shaped dinette, and a bunk house in rear with two standard bunks on left side, jack knife sofa which is big enough for my 6 foot 15 yr old and a smaller fold down bunk above.  This model is light weight has 2 slides one in dinning and living area and the bunk area slides out.  The bunk area also has a tv hook up and the dealer mounted a tv for us.  This gives our kids plenty of room and storage.

You will not be able to pull it with your current vehicle however but we found this unit for its size is light weight and tows great.  I would really look at different tow vehicles and compare there towing rate, axle ratios, and gross vehicle rating.

If you are in the market for a new vehicle I would recommend the Ford F150 Super Crew Ecoboost with the Max Tow and HD payload package with 3.73 gears.  It has plenty of room in the back for the kids and cargo room for the dog crate in the bed.  My son is 6 foot and my 10 yr old is also tall for her age and they have a lot of room in the back seat.

P.S. we also have an 65lb German Short hair and a 35lb English pointer mix.  We all love to camp

Hi
we also have 3 children (9,6,2 1/2 ) and a 100 # dog we are looking at the Keystone bullet 286 QBS it is awesome and we will be able to take all friends with us it weighs approx 5200 pounds (don't know if that works)
good luck  :D

We have 4 kids (13, 11, 8 and 6) 120# black lab and Yorkie.  We bought a used 2011 Open Range 303BHS.  Lighter than most (so I'm told) and tow it with our 2005 F150 SuperCrew XLT.  Open Range seems to have unique floorplans and we get sooo many compliments when we camp from people that just bought brand new campers!

http://openrangerv.com/roamer/travel-trailer-floorplans.php

Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom