TT's with generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scor1pion

Been doing some research and so far not turning up anything.  How come there aren't any travel trailers with generators built in as an option?  Having a source of continous power capable of powering the camper completely is something of importance to me.  Don't really want to have to lug a portable around all the time due to weight.  None of the compartments seem big enough to house one, and the propane tanks are considearbly lighter then a generator.  Could a generator be fastnened to the hitch if the propane tanks were removed?

The primary reasons are limited space, need for an additional fuel source and additional weight.  If you remove the propane tanks, how will you run your furnace, refrigerator, water heater and stove?  Where will you put the fuel tank for the generator?

Some larger trailers have a space designed to hold a generator and high end models may even offer it as an option. Lower line trailers don't have it because of space and cost considerations, as Ned already outlined.

Ned said:
The primary reasons are limited space, need for an additional fuel source and additional weight.  If you remove the propane tanks, how will you run your furnace, refrigerator, water heater and stove?  Where will you put the fuel tank for the generator?

Well as far as space goes, I've seen several class C MH with smaller floor plans that have them.  It comes down to TT's just aren't designed with that in mind I am finding out.  I know there will be additional weight, if the truck and hitch can support it though and you stay within the weight limits, things should be fine right?  As far as fuel goes.  I would be using a LP/Propane gen so no differnet fuel tanks required, maybe larger or additional propane, but I can more easily carry a propane tank (30 - 40lbs) then I can a generator (300+ lbs).  I figured I would put the propane tanks in the back of the truck.  I would still have the fuel I needed while parked so I wouldn't be out anything there.  The only thing that becomes a problem is the fridge as I wouldn't be able to cool while traveling as the tanks would be disconnected.  Easy enough to work around that with a cooler or 2 full of ice.  Not going any farther then 2 to 4  hours so that shouldn't be a problem.  Not concerned about the furnace, no winter time travels, thing will be in storage.  Stove, well won't be cooking while I'm driving so not an issue.  Once parked it would be hooked up so no problem there.

That's a lot of work.  A portable generator is a much simpler solution and the one that most RVers use.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but why is 120 v. power so important to you? This is supposed to be a form of "camping", after all.

Just curious...

capvan

capvan said:
Not trying to be a wiseguy, but why is 120 v. power so important to you? This is supposed to be a form of "camping", after all.

Just curious...

capvan

No problem.  A few different reasons.  First, I hate heat for long periods of time (more then a few hours).  If I could find a place where the temp never went over 70 I would be the happiest person in the world.  I need my A/C espescially at night, can't sleep if I'm warm.  At home there is an A/C unit blowing on me all night now just so I can go to sleep and in the winter time my house never goes over 67 and I have my window open.  A few of the places I have in mind to travel to don't have hook ups.  Boondocking.  Second, on those rainy days when we're stuck inside it would be nice to watch TV comfortably.  Third, and the worst of all.  Work follows me.  I get my weekends and holidays, however weekdays, doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing  in some way or another I will have to work some and I need to be able to power computers.  My wife drives so I can work on the road, I end up missing half the vaca as I'm stuck in a hotel room working while shes out with the kids having fun.  Not the best of circumstances but the job is good, pay goods, they are flexible with my schedule and can work from wherever the only drawback is I always have to be available.

Those are a few of the reasons I would like a steady/reliable source of power wherever I go.  And I don't want to be bothered with caryying multiple types of fuel and moving a generator that weighs twice as much as I do.  I want it always there and always ready.  I may not always need it, but I don't want to be restricted to where I can go due to lack of power.  I also would prefer to stay away from a motor home, not something I am currently interested in.

It is true that few TTs offer generators or provisions for installing one.

There are people who mount them on the trailer tongue or on the rear bumper, though doing so raises questions about weight distribution and frame strength.

I have thought about installing on in my tow vehicle but haven't done it.  I think that would be a better solution in many ways.

Don't like heat? Move to Vermont. We get one week of summer, nice spring and fall, and lots of great sledding.  ;D

capvan said:
Don't like heat? Move to Vermont. We get one week of summer, nice spring and fall, and lots of great sledding.  ;D

Sounds great to me.  The problem here is the huge difference between the wife and myself.  She wants to move to Florida and I want to move to Alaska.    :D

Jammer said:
It is true that few TTs offer generators or provisions for installing one.

There are people who mount them on the trailer tongue or on the rear bumper, though doing so raises questions about weight distribution and frame strength.

I have thought about installing on in my tow vehicle but haven't done it.  I think that would be a better solution in many ways.

I've thought of that option as well.  However, for times when I need the truck bed I'm still forced with moving the generator and when the wife or myself needs to take the truck out the camper would be left without power unless we moved the gen which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I'm thinking of removing the propane tanks, get a couple pieces of angle iron and weld them to the tongue.  Drill holes through those pieces and bolt the gen to the frame, this way it could still be removed for service if need be.  I don't really want to add to the bumber as I don't want my trailer to be any longer. 

Just concerned about weight and if the turning radius will be effected.  I supposed it would probably be a good idea to build a box around the gen to protect it while traveling as well.

I Was hoping to attach a photo, but haven't figured out how yet. I have space on my trailer tongue behind my propane tanks to attach a  hitch type cargo carrier basket. I am now able to mount an extra battery and carry my Yamaha EF3000iSE. The fun is lifting the generator off and on the carrier. I don't run it onboard. Too close to the propane tanks.

Scor1pion said:
for times when I need the truck bed I'm still forced with moving the generator and when the wife or myself needs to take the truck out the camper would be left without power

An alternative to consider is to move the truck's spare tire and then install a generator where the spare tire was.  The Cummins RV QG 2800, for example, will fit in a spare tire area, possibly with some slight loss of ground clearance.  A spare tire area installation is fairly common in B vans with generators, and possibly class Cs, too (I don't know).

Another alternative is to mount a generator in the front part of the pickup bed on a 3 or 4 inch raised frame so that there is room to slide sheet goods underneath.  For most people that's the motive for keeping stuff out of the bed.

I've also thought about putting a generator on a snowplow frame so I can mount it in front of the front bumper.

My Keystone RV Big Sky has as std both pre-wire and nice size compartment for adding generator as an option. It is sized to take the the Onan 5.5 KW unit.

If somebody has to drop two thousand plus for a genset, I say why not help make the planet a little greener. Invest in some good solar technology. Then you fuel is free! Not to mention totally silent.
I remeber a thread on here where I saw a nice setup where a TT was equipped with a rear cargo deck that held the genset(nice yamaha unit) and some gas...I am sure someone here more talented than me can point that thread out.

Solar is a reasonable choice if your travels take you to Texas and Arizona and places like that.

In Minnesota we have clouds, tree cover, and due to the latitude a low solar elevation angle and, in certain parts of the year ideal for traveling but when electrical demand is high due to the need to run the heat (October), short days.

I agree with Ned, you are going to an awful lot of work.  Why not just put the generator in the bed of your truck, run the plug from your trailer to the generator, plug it in, turn it on and you've got power.  You don't need to lift it in and out of the truck bed.  If you only have  one A/C in your trailer you can probably use a Honda i2000 which will run the A/C.  I had one for my trailer and even I could lift it in and out of the bed of my truck.  Plus Hondas are quiet.

Another thought is that the generator will run on regular gas and will probably be more trouble free.  Sometimes propane generators can act up.  Plus the gas is easy to find; often you have to search for propane.  I carried a gas can with me, also chained to the truck and put the generator on a rubber 4 x 4 x 3/4 high mat so that it rode and ran quietly and didn't jar the bed of the truck.

I would be somewhat leery of putting a generator on the tongue of the trailer.

Marsha~

Haven't read all the responses in detail, but a Toy hauler TT has a generator....You don't have to haul toys.... I have family visit and never haul a toy or even drop the rear, but the room makes it all worth it, not to mention the generator.........
May be cheaper to 'seal' a toy hauler than install a generator with fuel cell on a trailer?????? Just a thought........... :-\

Mines got a 10kW diesel generator. its actually a racecar trailer and i call the rear area my garage LoL i have my shop in the back. the generator puts out about 83A @ 120VAC so I'm fine with runnin my AC, air compressor, work lights, and saws at once! Life is good.

Back
Top Bottom