TV Brands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The picture and sound is decent especially for just a week or 3 here or there. So maybe one of these sticks might work? I hear of the firesticks, roku etc, but really never looked into any of it. I was thinking more fr the casting of a show from my phone, I have no subscriptions with anything but Amazon Prime Paramount and Starz.

Maybe a stick will work better?
If you are just streaming shows a firestick or roku is way easier than casting from a phone. For instance if you have a firestick with alexa you can hold down a button and say "watch Yellowstone on Paramount" and it takes you directly there.

Last edited:
If you are just streaming shows a firestick or roku is way easier than casting from a phone. For instance if you have a firestick with alexa you can hold down a button and say "watch Yellowstone on Paramount" and it takes you directly there.
Don't you need wifi to ordinarily stream? I understand you can hotspot w/ cell data. However the few times I've tried it was so slow I gave up, however I'm an idiot when it comes to all this. I had a firestick on one set but now Roku even on the smart sets. Roku I've found is far and away superior to the firestick.

Well considering the Summit we have works OK, but here is a question. When I do channel search and get 10 digital and 40 RF, why do RF not show up?
OK, back to the sticks. Ought t be cheaper for sure, does it get the signal from the wifi? So I would need a wifi router somehow connected to internet, either the CG connected or via hotspot on my phone.

I have paid no attention to any of this, sorry, learning. Of the sticks, do they all do the same things? Or does Roku only do roku?

Well considering the Summit we have works OK, but here is a question. When I do channel search and get 10 digital and 40 RF, why do RF not show up?
OK, back to the sticks. Ought t be cheaper for sure, does it get the signal from the wifi? So I would need a wifi router somehow connected to internet, either the CG connected or via hotspot on my phone.

I have paid no attention to any of this, sorry, learning. Of the sticks, do they all do the same things? Or does Roku only do roku?
They're actually all RF. The 40 RF channels would likely mean 10 vhf and 30 uhf.

They mostly do the same thing, just give you access to the different streaming providers. Roku is better, imo.

Don't you need wifi to ordinarily stream? I understand you can hotspot w/ cell data. However the few times I've tried it was so slow I gave up, however I'm an idiot when it comes to all this. I had a firestick on one set but now Roku even on the smart sets. Roku I've found is far and away superior to the firestick.
Hotspot on your phone can work as well as wifi but it depends on your phone, your carrier, and the signal. I had an Android that was the latest and greatest but had speed issues even when connected to a strong wifi. Since I had to use Citrix for my job I didn't keep it long. With an iPhone I had no trouble streaming with 4G on Verizon but 5G on T-Mobile lives up to its advertising.

Roku vs Firestick is definitely a Chevy vs Ford discussion. I had a Roku box 10 years ago when Roku was king. I was a Roku believer and bought a Roku smart TV but it now has a Firestick plugged into it. The newer Firestick runs like lightning in comparison. Plus Alexa works better than Roku voice command, especially to control the TV itself. I just bought a new Firestick with Alexa for $24 and the Roku stick with voice control is $40.

Cannondale was the mac daddy of aluminum bikes in the 90's before carbon ( largely Trek) knocked them off in the 00's.
GIven I haven't used my Cannondale in a couple of years now and it's hanging in the garage, thinking it's time to sell it. GREAT bike. :(

Hooked up one of the Amazon Fire TV’s tonight. Nice picture and sound. The apps are arranged a bit different than our Vizio TV’s. But for $129.99 for a 42” Smart TV it ain’t too bad. Costco had 65” Vizios for $299.

A Firestick and a Roku stick both require wifi or the hotspot on your phone. They do the same things and neither one has any huge advantage over the other. For example Roku had an advantage with their Roku channel with free TV and movies. But now you can stream the Roku channel on a Firestick. Both will stream from any streaming service like Hulu. Both run apps you download like on your phone. The Firestick operating system is Android so it will run a lot of the same Android phone apps and games.

Roku vs Firestick is a Chevy vs Ford type discussion. Both have voice command capability. These days you talk to the remote instead of pressing buttons and scrolling around. You tell the TV "switch to antenna" or "switch to Firestick" and then say "Play Yellowstone on Paramount", then say "volume up" or "volume down", etc.

Hotspot on your phone can work as well as wifi but it depends on your phone, your carrier, and the signal. I had an Android that was the latest and greatest but had speed issues even when connected to a strong wifi. Since I had to use Citrix for my job I didn't keep it long. With an iPhone I had no trouble streaming with 4G on Verizon but 5G on T-Mobile lives up to its advertising.

Roku vs Firestick is definitely a Chevy vs Ford discussion. I had a Roku box 10 years ago when Roku was king. I was a Roku believer and bought a Roku smart TV but it now has a Firestick plugged into it. The newer Firestick runs like lightning in comparison. Plus Alexa works better than Roku voice command, especially to control the TV itself. I just bought a new Firestick with Alexa for $24 and the Roku stick with voice control is $40.
Don't know about a Ford vs.Chevy thing analogy, but I've had both, I wouldn't have bought a roku had the firestick not been a pita. No problems ever with the Roku , but have never tried talking to it.

Hisense is the new up and comer for mid range brads, often outperforming TV's that sell for nearly twice as much on the various benchmark ratings.

I've been looking at these as well. Hisense will probably be my next purchase for a TV at home.

Don't try to run the DishAnywhere app on a Roku. Doesn't work...

I put a Visio in the bedroom of our RV In 2008. It has the worst off angle viewing I've ever seen. I had to redesign the mounting to allow it to be tilted down.

I've heard they got better. ;)

Installed an LG 43" 4K in our sticks & bricks bedroom. It has an amazing display and absolutely the best sounding speakers I've found in a TV Since they had big wooden cabinets.

Go to a store with LOTS of different TVs so you can look at the screens from different angles. If they are all showing the same thing, that's even better. You can see which pictures you like best. Write down the brands AND models. Then you can shop around for the best price.

I have a 32" Phillips with HDMI outlets on the back. With the mounting rack, they are almost impossible to get to so I plugged in one cord while it was off the rack and connected a 3 outlet HMDI hub plugged into another. The hub connects a region free bluray/dvd player, Firestick and Nintendo Switch to the TV and is controlled by a remote. The TV is kinda dumb and older. Got it in 2013. We traded a little chest freezer for the TV (we had a freezer we didn't need but needed a TV and they had a TV they didn't need but needed a freezer). It was about a year old when we got it. I've gotten very good use out of it and it bounced down the highways nicely. I guess I need to go back to looking at the TVs when I visit WalMart again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom