U.S. to Canada? passport needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hfx_Cdn said:
.....However, if you are in Arizona you will need proof of citizenship just to go outside the house :-[  Can someone explain to me how that's freedom?

I can see that you have no idea what the new Arizona law does.

First of all, these people have already broken the law by being here. Second, you can NOT be asked to prove your citizenship unless you have been contacted by a LEO for some other reason. Only after a LEO has contacted you for some other infraction of the law can they ask about your citizenship.

Watch the TV of the people demonstrating. I didn't see one U.S. Flag but I saw lots of Mexican Flags. The ILLEGALS don't want to become americans. They interviewed one illegal tonight on the news that has been here for 15 years and still can't speak English.

What would Canadians think if 20 million americans entered your country ILLEGALLY? Name me one other country in the world where you can enter illegally and not be arrested.

In addition to what Don said, the Arizona law is essentially a duplication of the the Federal law. The problem is the Feds will not enforce it, AZ passed a duplicate state law which can be enforced by AZ law enforcement.

Just try to go to Mexico and live and work there as an illegal and see where you end up.

Richard

Unfortunately freedom does come at a price, and by paying the ~90 bucks, that insures your freedom back into our great country, I have travelled to Canada before the years of needing a passport, sorry my friend, those days are over, there are many uniformed soldiers wearing our flag on their sleeve paying a much greater price every day to protect our freedom and the freedom of many others within this world....  I will gladly pay the $90 and be proud to show any one in the world that I am able to carry a document stating I am a U.S. Citizen, and to our Northern neighbors, we welcome you and thank you for welcoming us into another friendly country!

Gary, myself and a number of other members of a diesel forum have stopped participation because of the recent ongoing regurgitation of comments and discussions regarding the law recently passed in AZ. The discussion here is starting to drift in the same direction and I hope it gets cut off quickly.

Thanks Bernie. We try to strike a balance between not over-moderating and not letting discussions disappear down a rat hole. Folks here are generally well behaved and civil in their discussions, making life easier for the staff. We've also had a history of discussions here being self-moderated.

I think Bernie is being a little sensitive a little early, this thread has thus far been informative, factual, and civil. You will see more hostility on the 6 o'clock news.>>>Dan

Dan

I just don't want to be desensitized a little later. There are a lot of strong feelings about the subject one way or the other and it got carried away by one group on this other forum. It had nothing to do with RVing there and I don't think it has anything to do with RVing here. I'd rather see everyone comfortable with each other.

It does have to do with RV-ing, it has to do with what is required to cross the border.  Legally.  There is also a 'passport lite'  I think only good for Canada and Mexico.  Maybe Bahamas and such.

I agree with being comfortable, but also like to see others opinions and views on a subject and it takes quite a lot to rile me to action.>>>Dan

PancakeBill said:
It does have to do with RV-ing, it has to do with what is required to cross the border.  Legally.  There is also a 'passport lite'  I think only good for Canada and Mexico.  Maybe Bahamas and such.

Bill

You are correct, but what does the new AZ law have to do with crossing the Canadian border??? Lets talk about what documents and such are needed, or forbidden, to cross into Canada, and more difficult, what is needed to come back. One thing that bothers me is that the AZ legislature that passed the discussed law are the same legislators that passed a law that forbade the state from issuing enhanced drivers' licenses. :'(

I do not mind having to use my passport to get back into USA.  In fact  I like that the officials want to determine my status before I  arrive.

I should share with you that  I have often been singled out in airlines as I travel one way, with no checked bags.  (This to meet up with Terry someplace on the road) This sends up red flags to airport security.  I don't mind being checked one bit.  I want to keep our public places safe and I want to have all the rules followed.  If passports  make this easier to track comings and goings  so be it.  I don't  fear "profiling"  as I have not done anything  illegal.  My 2 cents worth.

Betty

BernieD said:
.....One thing that bothers me is that the AZ legislature that passed the discussed law are the same legislators that passed a law that forbade the state from issuing enhanced drivers' licenses. :'(

Bernie,

I don't really remember, but wasn't their reasoning for not passing the enhanced drivers' license was because it was yet another UNFUNDED federal mandate?

Another aspect of this that does have to do with RVing:
(Background:AZ is my 'second' home as the bulk of my family is still there and has been for many decades.  I hear_a lot_ about the worsening illegal issue every visit.)
As the illegal problem has gotten worse, Border Patrol has set up temporary inspection points well past the border in AZ (don't know about other states).  These inspection points are essentially 'papers please' by BP.  What are these fellows doing so far inland?  While I very much disagree with the inspection points, they are simply trying to catch 'coyotes'.  So those of us with RV's (any size will do) are particularly susceptible to heightened suspicion/profiling and a command to 'please pull over here for further inspection'.  Since my DW and do not have and do not want Passports (that may have to change) we are particularly susceptible.  (We'll probably carry birth certs in the future.) It is not fun and is terribly time consuming, much less a liberty issue.  Sure there are Constitutional issues, but that's not my point and not really for discussion here. ;)

I'm glad to see AZ take up where the Feds have failed.  Most folks do not realize that the Feds have the states hamstrung in that State empowered LEO's are not able to arrest and detain illegals.  They must call ICE and if they are busy, the illegals are let go. ???  Sheriff Joe had an agreement with the Feds that permited his Deputies to be able to arrest and detain illegals.  Obama Admin recently negated that deal, so AZ simply had to do something constructive to allow their own LEO's (all city, county and state) to arrest and detain illegals as long as the prescribed contact rules are followed-prior contact for an infraction/crime and additional RAS of illegal status.  Good show AZ.

Point is that if this 'new' arrest and detain law is as effective as we know it can be, the Border Patrol guys will have no need to be so far inland harassing unsuspecting RVer's looking for 'coyotes' and the miscellaneous illegals and go back to the Border where they belong. 

Just sayin' :)

We have gone through the BP checkpoints in AZ with our motorhome many times and have never been detained.

We also have never been pulled over at the BP stops. They ask if we're both US citizens and when we say yes, they wave us on.

As for proof of citizenship wouldn't the easiest thing be for states to put "U.S. Citizen - Yes or No" on your driver's license? Then that's the only proof of citizenship you need. I have a passport card but I only carry it when I'm going into Mexico or Canada, otherwise it's in the motorhome. So if we're driving around Arizona in the toad and an LE pulls us over and asks for proof of citizenship, we wouldn't have it.

Anyone else remember the Nazis in every movie ever made asking "Your papers, give me your papers."

Wendy

"It's an unbelievable law. And it's already starting to backfire. Today, a group of Native Americans pulled over a bunch of white guys and said, 'Let's see your papers.'" ?Jay Leno

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I don't really remember, but wasn't their reasoning for not passing the enhanced drivers' license was because it was yet another UNFUNDED federal mandate?

Don

I wasn't aware of the status of the enhanced license, with being out of state so much I seldom get AZ current events :( , but I had looked up the status on the legislative web site. All it said was the law was passed forbidding issuance of the enhanced license. I am not aware of any federal mandate regarding issuing enhanced licenses and don't know why federal funding would be involved in state issued drivers' licenses.

BernieD said:
A state issued driver's license meets the criteria under the new AZ law.

My Colorado DL doesn't say anything about citizenship. So if they ask me for proof of US citizenship, what do I do?

Wendy

As for proof of citizenship wouldn't the easiest thing be for states to put "U.S. Citizen - Yes or No" on your driver's license?

That's what the Enhanced Driver's license issued by 10 states is all about.  It certifies that the individual is a U.S. citizen and has presented the appropriate supporting documentation to the state's DMV. 

Although the program is voluntary (so far), it does require extra state effort that is not reimbursed by the federal government (setting up a central database, inspecting the presented documents and checking them against the database to guard against abuse), so it could be classified as an unfunded mandate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom