U.S. to Canada? passport needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like so many other  reports and news stories, this thread has so much misinformation it hardly deserves an answer.  The major factor is that the Arizona  law still requires probable cause for law in forcement to stop some one.  Now if I am stopped for any reason the police can check for my legal status as well as if I have any outstanding warrents.  There have been subsequent bills passed that would absolutely forbid racial profiling.
As for me I have ordered a passport card and plan to carry it next to my drivers license. I have no fear of a national identity card.
I had planned to go to Canada (BC) this summer but will probably skip it unless my new pasport comes in time.  Maybe it would be better to go to Arizona instat to show my support.

Does anyone have a link to the actual text of the new law (sb1070)? I'm having no luck finding it and would like to actually read it.

Wendy

I have more feelings on this subject, but it isn't getting anywhere, so I'll do my part to let this thread die with no hard feelings. :)>>>Dan

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find anything on sb1070? Did find out what their dog bite law is though.

Thanks Tony, Found it. Although the dog bite law will probably be of more use to me :)

Wendy

Suspect we could likely keep this one going for months and like on most things, we probably agree on the vast majority of the issues associated with the problem but the devil is always in the details.... I truely doubt if anyone actually wants these changes to take place but we all would agree somethings have to change or the US will cease to exist..... I believe AZ is totally correct in doing what they are trying to do and the process being used is the only choice they have to correct what is truely a serious, long overlooked cancer on legal citizens of a lawful society......
Unfortunately, people tolerate illegal activity and then when something has to be done, they complain about any actions while having or offering any alternative logical solutions ......
I would support immediate cleansing and enforcement of the US laws.... just like what AZ is doing.....Only on a truely National basis until the situation in back under control ... It only makes sense to require documentation of legal residence ........... We know illegals are obtaining phony licenses, vote illegally, and are a huge drain on the US legal taxpaying citizens........No other nation in the world has or will ever tolerate such self destructive and parasitic issues to exist.
Huge  ongoing sustainable savings would appear from dozens of areas. No doubt the US economy is in the dumps, as is much of the world... 23 million of those legal citizens willing and able to work that are currently without jobs would then have opportunities... wages would naturally increase because of the competition for resources ...Those not interested in being totally dependent on government handouts will appreciate an opportunity.....

You are all missing the point I was making

With all due respect .... no, we are not! 

What part of "illegal" do people not get?  If you take the time and trouble to enter this country legally, then you have no problem.  When one circumvents the law of the land, then yes, that person has a definite problem.  I won't get into my views on how this country became flooded with illegal immigrants (and yes, primarily from across our southern border) but it has to somehow stop.  We're dishing out too many dollars to fund welfare, hospital benefits, school privileges, food banks, and the list goes on and on. 

Few people like this law which requires people to show citizenship proof on demand, but how else do you stem this illegal tide?  It has nothing to do with prejudice and everything to do with illegal entry to our country which places financial burdens on legal taxpayers, no matter their original country of origin.

And this, from me, who abhors political discussions on this forum.  I'm shutting up now.

Margi

how does requiring the carrying of documentation fix he problem that obviously exists

Ed, nothing.  I was merely expanding and/or further explaining the previously made comment to illustrate how ludicrous the illegals situation has become.  That's just one tiny facet of the problem.  But if the schools were allowed to require proof of the students' residency then that would eliminate a huge cost that we should not have to bear.  If foreigners want to use our school system (medical, etc. etc.) then let them pay for it - not us.

ArdraF

Wendy said:
Thanks for the link. I couldn't find anything on sb1070? Did find out what their dog bite law is though.

Wendy

The same AZ legislators passed a law that if you had a pickup truck, Gordon could not ride in the back unrestrained. If you had any kids, they could ::)

ArdraF said:
But if the schools were allowed to require proof of the students' residency then that would eliminate a huge cost that we should not have to bear.  If foreigners want to use our school system (medical, etc. etc.) then let them pay for it - not us.

Ardra

Well finally AZ is getting something right. About a year ago, the local TV station ran a story of kids walking across the border every morning in Lukeville and boarding school buses taking them to Ajo schools. Now the state is suing Ajo for about $1.5 million to reimburse the state for subsidies provided the Ajo school system for these students.

IMO, everything that we have talked about just takes enforcement of our current laws. Sue employers who hire undocumented aliens, that will drive down the attractiveness of crossing the border to get a good job. AZ has lost about 100,000 UAs, about 20-25% of the estimate a couple of years ago, during this recession. No jobs, no reason to come or stay here. Sue the hospitals and school districts that ignore their requirements in documentation. All we have to do is get enforcement of the existing laws.

BernieD said:
Wendy

The same AZ legislators passed a law that if you had a pickup truck, Gordon could not ride in the back unrestrained. If you had any kids, they could ::)

Well, that makes sense - I wouldn't want Gordon to fall out and get hurt :)

Marsha .. thank you for the facts...
Now if only every state in the US would recognize  those are the right initial steps that have to be taken - NOW !.....
Thank God for some that have wisdom and doing the right thing in Arizona.....

Marsha/CA said:
I thought those of you who are interested might like to see what the Senator from Arizona said about the bill.  Here

Marsha

I thought I had posted a reply earlier but it either disappeared into never/never land or was moderated out. In any case, just so the facts are correct, Sylvia Allen is not the Senator from Arizona, John McCain and Jon Kyle are. She is a state senator, one of 33 in the legislature.

It has not been proven that Robert Krantz was killed by drug smugglers, but the presumption is pretty good. We have a friend who was raised on a ranch near the border, Naco, AZ. The problem was existent 50 years ago, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Senator Allen doesn't do a very good job of connecting the dots. The crime rate in AZ's border towns is low. Yuma, Douglas and Nogales all have lower crime rates than Phoenix. Maybe if Sheriff Joe spent more time chasing murderers, robbers and rapists (and the incidence of crime among the undocumented here is equal to or lower than the general population) instead of his showboating roundups of undocumented and others who fall into the net, we would also have a lower crime rate.

Nearly all the undocumented crossing the border are from Catholic countries, not Muslim. Don't understand the Korans (Koran Bible is redundant, shame she doesn't understand the difference) found in the desert. What is it supposed to mean?

If our laws were enforced a lot of undocumenteds would return home and wouldn't return. Our current recession is showing that.

In any case, back on thread. IIRC, you do not need a passport to get into Canada, you do need one to cross back into the US.

Bernie, I just retuned from Canada three months ago, take my word for it,YOU DO NEED A PASSPORT TO ENTER CANADA. When I presented our passports they were zipped thru a reader and handed back to us.>>>Dan ( before the rest of the questioning started)

[quote author=BernieD]I thought I had posted a reply earlier but it either disappeared into never/never land or was moderated out.[/quote]

Bernie, not to detract from the discussion, but nothing you wrote was "moderated out" from this topic. If you set the option in your profile to Return to topic after posting by default, you'd immediately see if your messages were posted or not. The setting is in the Profle|Modify profile menu.

Haven't been to Canada in years so don't know about that border. But you can waltz right into Mexico without showing anything. You do need that passport or passport card to get back into the U.S. Personally, I have no problem showing my passport going either direction, at either border.

And for the OP, you don't need the $100 ($85 child) passport to drive or walk into or out of Canada, the $45 adult / $35 child version is good enough....still a hefty chunk of change for a family that wants to take a brief visit north.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom