Unrestricted Land

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look at GIS mapping for your area and find the property. Also contact any city, county or government agencies that might be involved with any permits be it well, septic or building. Verify any utilities or cost associated for running new.
I have called a few well and septic installers and they have been very helpful with ballpark costs. Good ones will know the area.
We are also looking at property and the agents will always tell you that you "should" be able to do that.
Check and double check, I know when I find the right property I will draw a site plan and get any approvals I can.

I think this is the best advice so far. You can make any area livable if you put enough money into it and are willing to accept some limitations on how you live (vs "city life").

Sun is plentiful in the Southwest but water is not. A good-sized solar set-up can do a lot, but if your lifestyle expects air conditioning you may still come up short. A cistern isn't much value where rain is limited some or all of the year. I have a friend in central Kentucky whose small farm house depends on a 1000 gallon cistern and he routinely runs out of water during the summer and has to have water trucked in to carry them over (and Kentucky gets a lot more rain than Arizona!).

I'm not familiar with any unrestricted lands in the Southwest, so I'd suggest identifying where such a thing might be and start assessing what would be needed to make it livable (and what you consider "livable' to mean).
There is a couple that live in Arizona and they have a large cistern and a couple tanks. Their rain catchment system supplies all their needs. However it could be some parts of Arizona has more rainfall than other parts. Also can I build a sufficient rain catchment system? no not on my own

There is a couple that live in Arizona and they have a large cistern and a couple tanks. Their rain catchment system supplies all their needs. However it could be some parts of Arizona has more rainfall than other parts. Also can I build a sufficient rain catchment system? no not on my own
I don't know about Arizona, but there are states that will charge you if you have a rain catchment system installed. Their thinking is (paraphrased), "Any rain that falls from the sky is supposed to hit the ground and eventually end up in the state waterways, where the state can and will charge for its use. If you step in, erect a rain catchment system that interrupts that chain of events, you will owe the state for the use of that water."

And no, I'm not bullsh***ng. There really are laws like that on the books.

I don't know about Arizona, but there are states that will charge you if you have a rain catchment system installed. Their thinking is (paraphrased), "Any rain that falls from the sky is supposed to hit the ground and eventually end up in the state waterways, where the state can and will charge for its use. If you step in, erect a rain catchment system that interrupts that chain of events, you will owe the state for the use of that water."

And no, I'm not bullsh***ng. There really are laws like that on the books.
Hard to believe

When I was in WA state the state Dept of Ecology threatened to impose draconian growth limits on our rural county along Puget Sound. They said groundwater pumping from domestic wells was reducing the flow of a couple of local rivers to critical levels and further growth would cause more reductions and pose grave threats to the local fish population.

I went to a public meeting and after hearing their presentation, stood up and asked if they were taking into account this was a rural area with septic systems that re-introduced the used water back into the ground, not a city with a central treatment plant that took the water and discharged it into the Sound. After a few seconds stunned silence and some hurried discussion among themselves they admitted they hadn't and after considering what I had brought up they doubled the number of new wells and houses they would allow in the area.

Mid western states are mostly unrestricted in rural areas. You can build anything you want, use the land for anything except growing something illegal or dumping something toxic, no building codes, no inspections, no regulations. I had a new house built and no permits or inspections were required. You couldn't get one if you wanted to.

I live quite rural. I added 500 sq-ft to an already-existing deck back in 2014, and before I started I called the county and asked if I needed to submit plans. The woman asked, "Are you within city limits?" I said, "No." She said, "Do whatever you want."

The same year I wanted to have an electrician install an Emergency Transfer Switch to run my generator and power my house in a power outage. I asked the electrician if I needed to pull a permit. He said, "You live in the country. No, do whatever you want." I love rural America.

Lots of unrestricted land in Texas, Ok, Ark & La. Many in East Texas and the other states with utilities in place and most counties have aquifers below for water wells. You can move in a tiny home, park model or build most anything you want without the hassle of permits and the red tape that comes with them. Water is your primary concern in the western states and droughts are epic there. With a well this becomes no problem at all.

One drawback is the heat + humidity, if you prefer a mild climate summer, skip all of these states and take your chances in the far west.

Mid western states are mostly unrestricted in rural areas. You can build anything you want, use the land for anything except growing something illegal or dumping something toxic, no building codes, no inspections, no regulations. I had a new house built and no permits or inspections were required. You couldn't get one if you wanted to.
What states are you talking about?

Lots of unrestricted land in Texas, Ok, Ark & La. Many in East Texas and the other states with utilities in place and most counties have aquifers below for water wells. You can move in a tiny home, park model or build most anything you want without the hassle of permits and the red tape that comes with them. Water is your primary concern in the western states and droughts are epic there. With a well this becomes no problem at all.

One drawback is the heat + humidity, if you prefer a mild climate summer, skip all of these states and take your chances in the far west.
Far West California?

I live quite rural. I added 500 sq-ft to an already-existing deck back in 2014, and before I started I called the county and asked if I needed to submit plans. The woman asked, "Are you within city limits?" I said, "No." She said, "Do whatever you want."

The same year I wanted to have an electrician install an Emergency Transfer Switch to run my generator and power my house in a power outage. I asked the electrician if I needed to pull a permit. He said, "You live in the country. No, do whatever you want." I love rural America.
Do you live in Arkansas?

We are also looking at property and the agents will always tell you that you "should" be able to do that.
Check and double check, I know when I find the right property I will draw a site plan and get any approvals I can.

I know you know this but do not take any advice from the agent. They are working to make a sale and will use weasely words like above to try and give you a comfy feeling.

As I may have already said. You don't have to visit the county building office "while shopping." Just write a sales contingency on being able to get the proper permits. To be fair my clause had a 14 day time limit. I closed in about 45 days which is long for land. Big problem was sibling sellers living in separate states and all the paperwork had to be mailed all over hell and gone.

Me too. The only thing they care about in my county is the setback (from property line) for new buildings. You bring in a layout with the building location and done n like 5 minutes. Another thing I can't do is build a second dwelling but I had this conversation.

So I wanna build a workshop.
No problem
I wanna have a toilet and wash room in it
No problem
Because it's real dirty I'd like to have a shower
No Problem
Because I wanna work year round I plan to add drywall and insulation
No problem
Also if I wanna eat something I might have a little kitchenette
No problem. But you know you can't have people living in there, right?
No problem (wink, wink)

I wanted to say, "You know because I work long shifts I may want a cot in there to nap on." But I pretty much knew the limit - LOL.

Last edited:
I went to a public meeting and after hearing their presentation, stood up and asked if they were taking into account that this was a rural area with septic systems that re-introduced the used water back into the ground, not a city with a central treatment plant that took that water and discharged it into the Sound. After a few seconds stunned silence and some hurried discussion among themselves they admitted they hadn't and after considering what I had brought up they doubled the number of new wells and houses they would allow in the area.
Man, I bet that felt good.

We have seasonal burn restrictions living in a rural county which is usually during early Spring and late Fall. There's a home elevation law on burning our dead brush and tree limbs. Unfortunately, we're almost at 6,000 feet in elevation, but just not quite that high. Who ever came up with the county restrictions lives at lower elevations and knew that it snows heavily during the burn seasons above 6,000 feet. At 5,9xx feet our snowpack and ice covers the ground and dead wood piles. Snow doesn't stop at below 6,000. I've talked with our local fire department about it and they said burn when you want to.

"Residents above 6,000 feet elevation are exempt from the seasonal restrictions but should notify the local fire department prior to burning."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom