Unrestricted Land

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Far West California?
Coastal regions have very mild summers. I would have said north but the winters up there are as brutal as the summers are here. I prefer states that are not totalitarian in nature so I put up with the heat. We had a discussion about permits once in a woodworking forum years ago. permits for the shop the guy was building in Sacramento would have cost $275 in Dallas [where I lived at the time]. There he had to pay $28k to get the same permit. Very little unrestricted land out that way, but you can find it if you go rural enough in the northern region of Cali.

What states are you talking about?
The Off-Grid Laws of Every State in America: What States Allow Off Grid Living?
Building codes exist in counties with high density populations around the larger cities which need to have better control. But many counties have none. Some have codes on the books but are not enforced unless neighbors complain. Remember in the USA if you are a bad neighbor anybody can sue anybody.

I built my 2,000 sq ft Victorian house in Oklahoma just 2 miles outside OKC city limits. The only downside was it was impossible to get financing and only got $394 equity when I moved 8 years later. I could see one other house but nothing but open land in the other 3 directions. I worked in the city but only had 1 stop sign in my 23 mile 25 minute commute. Western OK is so flat the horizon is only limited by the curvature of the earth. Without a house in sight. Primal. Now that I live in a housing addition on 1 acre spacing that's what I miss the most. Plus now in MS I have to pay property tax which is a whopping $27/year.

The main reason there are no codes in so many places is code enforcement would have to search by airplane. I had relatives in-law in western Arkansas which lived so far out in the mountains their driveway was two dirt wheel tracks 20 miles long. No electric, telephone, mail, or school buses. They were invisible to and unaffected by the outside world. You'd never find a happier family. If you love the land you don't need other people to be happy. That may be why the TV show Yellowstone is so popular.

Codes are enacted by local officials. Local officials need to get reelected so what starts with "no parking your horse and buggy" in a residential area ends up being, you can't park your RV at your house, you gotta keep your yard mowed, you can't park a trailer/boat etc. Here's your deck size, your fencing type, your house colors and your driveway widths, yada, yada, yada.

Here is the country the actual guy that gets elected sits in the like 6 person office. I looked him up. He's won like the last 5 elections with an average vote of around 300.

I always figured if I didn't get my way I would spend $20 a vote and buy like 200 votes (leaving him with 100 - to explain the math - LOL) - $4000 to be the permit guy could be cheap - LOL...

Coastal regions have very mild summers. I would have said north but the winters up there are as brutal as the summers are here. I prefer states that are not totalitarian in nature so I put up with the heat. We had a discussion about permits once in a woodworking forum years ago. permits for the shop the guy was building in Sacramento would have cost $275 in Dallas [where I lived at the time]. There he had to pay $28k to get the same permit. Very little unrestricted land out that way, but you can find it if you go rural enough in the northern region of Cali.
Pretty much anything up north is the same as the desert region around Barstow. If it's not private land, it's owned by either BLM or the Forest Service. Now, you might find someone with 10,000 acres of high desert and buy a couple acres from them, but there would be no infrastructure so you would need to pay to have it brought in or drilled for, or build an off-grid system the size of a house to meet your needs.

Besides, the northern high desert in CA is a**-deep in snow 4 months out of the year.

There is a couple that live in Arizona and they have a large cistern and a couple tanks. Their rain catchment system supplies all their needs. However it could be some parts of Arizona has more rainfall than other parts. Also can I build a sufficient rain catchment system? no not on my own
It's definitely the case that rainfall varies widely - Arizona is a place of open plains and high mountains, rivers and deserts. It's also a monsoon climate. Water may be mostly rare but a flash-flood when it happens. Much different than anything east of the Mississippi.

There are excellent maps of seasonal and annual rainfall available online - the universities in the Southwest thoroughly study their climate and water resources because of its extreme importance in that region.

Pretty much anything up north is the same as the desert region around Barstow. If it's not private land, it's owned by either BLM or the Forest Service. Now, you might find someone with 10,000 acres of high desert and buy a couple acres from them, but there would be no infrastructure so you would need to pay to have it brought in or drilled for, or build an off-grid system the size of a house to meet your needs.

Besides, the northern high desert in CA is a**-deep in snow 4 months out of the year.
Yeah, BLM land is everywhere out west and northwest. The advantage to that is fewer neighbors, but without an alloidal title you would be subject to possible eminent domain action.

Eminent domain is when you have title to land but a government entity forced a sale. If you are on public land, you do not have title to it. You will be evicted.

Mid western states are mostly unrestricted in rural areas. You can build anything you want, use the land for anything except growing something illegal or dumping something toxic, no building codes, no inspections, no regulations. I had a new house built and no permits or inspections were required. You couldn't get one if you wanted to.
It was the same way in Louisiana until Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005, after which the state Legislature passed laws requiring all sorts of permits and building inspection even in rural areas.

No, you won't find any unrestricted land in CA, except possibly in the middle of the desert out by Barstow. Far west CA is ocean-front property. Nothing at all available there.
Ocean front property in CA is controlled by the California Coastal Commission which is quite strict about how they allow their lands to be used. Their control stretches from the coastline to the east until the land stops rising in elevation and starts to descend. Sometimes this is 20 miles or more inland.

I was wondering what was meant by far west if he didn't mean california

Eminent domain is when you have title to land but a government entity forced a sale. If you are on public land, you do not have title to it. You will be evicted.
Yep, common sense there, but there are plots of land available for sale that back up to BLM land everywhere in the west and they are not part of the BLM "family".

What city or town do you live in or near? Thanks
You can PM me for that. I don't give that info in an open forum. The wife and I are going to be selling our 10 acres and house this year, if you were in the mood to buy. We're out in the country, about 20 mintes from the Oklahoma border.

I don't see an option to private message
Maybe you could send me one
Otherwise we can do email
Thanks
You can PM me for that. I don't give that info in an open forum. The wife and I are going to be selling our 10 acres and house this year, if you were in the mood to buy. We're out in the country, about 20 mintes from the Oklahoma border.

I don't see an option to private message
Maybe you could send me one
Otherwise we can do email
Thanks
Click on the envelope icon up to the right, next to your name. A short menu will appear with the choice of "Start a New Conversation". Click on that. On the next page that shows up, type "Tulecreeper" in the 'Recipients' box at the top, then put a title of your conversation in the 'Title' box, then type your message into the big box below that. When you're finished, click the "Start Conversation" button at the bottom. I will get it as a private message and reply. From that point on, it's just a conversation between you and me and no one else can see it.

Click on the envelope icon up to the right, next to your name. A short menu will appear with the choice of "Start a New Conversation". Click on that. On the next page that shows up, type "Tulecreeper" in the 'Recipients' box at the top, then put a title of your conversation in the 'Title' box, then type your message into the big box below that. When you're finished, click the "Start Conversation" button at the bottom. I will get it as a private message and reply. From that point on, it's just a conversation between you and me and no one else can see it.
That icon does not give me the option to start a new conversation.
Please send me a message
It could be I am too new here to start conversations

That icon does not give me the option to start a new conversation.
Please send me a message
It could be I am too new here to start conversations
I tried. I get a message that I cannot start a conversation with you for some reason. No idea why.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom