Upgrading tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WFD

Currently have a newer 26ft 5th wheel that weighs 7100lbs and a pin weight of 1060lb..these are scaled weights. Going to be getting a new tow vehicle and currently have a chance to buy 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax in an extended cab or a 2012 2500HD with the 6.0 gas but in a crew cab. They are both low mileage with the Duramax having 5000 miles less. The gasser has more bells and whistles on it plus its a crew cab and a model yr newer. We live in pretty flat country and probably do 6-8 outings a yr so the gasser will do the task just fine. The Duramax would run about $4000 more which seems pretty reasonable. Looking for some input...crew cab vs ext cab, etc...I know the crew will have a broader appeal when it comes to resale as both dlrs tell me crews outsell ext cabs by about 3 to1.
Thanks folks.

I don't know much about GM trucks but I do know that many of us eventually outgrow our RVs and trade up. I think I would go with the diesel for that reason and you would be amazed at the difference in climbing a 6% grade. You should also offset much of the difference in initial cost by more efficient fuel usage depending on how much you tow even with diesel costing more. Just my 2c.

If you like both trucks, then I would lean towards the D-max. Yes the crew cab may be worth more than the extended cab, but the diesel option will more than make up the difference, plus some. And Gerry's right, if you ever upgrade the trailer, you will already have the proper truck.

And, when the trucks each get to 100K miles, the gasser will be nearly worn out, while the Duramax will be just barely broken in.

You could also wait until a Duramax with a crew cab turns up. I wanted  Duramax with crew cab, long box, and 2wd. I hunted for 3 months and settled for one with 4wd, but everything else I wanted.

Joel

Either truck should work really well with the trailer you have now but I have to agree with the others. If you ever decide to get a larger heavier trailer I think you will be happier with the D-Max.

Hey Great Horned Owl......I am towing the exact same trailer that you have in your signature...and just happened to notice you are also pulling it with with 2500 Duramax..how is that working for you? I am leaning towards the Duramax route even though its extended cab...we have been driving extended cab for years and it suits us...I can count on one hand the number of times we had passengers back there...it usually cargo more so than people...we are awaiting the first grandchild but ext cab is plenty for that for yrs to come. Was just thinking of the crew cab cause I like to think resale and why not appeal to 70% of the people buying trucks as opposed to 30% which is the ratio of crew vs extended cab sales.

Rick

You didn't mention the bed length on each truck and that makes a difference with a 5W. Both cabs are available with either standard (6.5ft) or long (8 ft) beds.

These days you can expect a gas engine to go 150-200k miles, so I don't think longevity is much of a factor.

You pay more for diesel and more for crew cab, but get a chunk of that back when you sell. If you keep your trucks a long time, resale value may not be much of a factor either, but if you turn them over every 2-3-4 years it can be substantial.

I'm curious about your scaled weights - 1060 lb pin weight is very light for a 7100 lb 5W. I would normally expect at least 20% of the 5W weight on the pin, i.e. 1400+ lbs, but you seem to have only 15%. That often leads to porpoising of the trailer, with the pin yanking up on the hitch when the trailer rolls over ridges or potholes, and/or a tendency to sway.

In the flat lands, you'll be fine with either.  If you plan to go up to the high country any time, go with the diesel.  I tow with a Ford 460 gasser, in elevations up to about 9700'.  I got a screaming deal on the truck, and it's nowhere near worn out.  That said, it will get replaced some day with a diesel.  At the high elevations, the gasser is starting to seriously wheeze.  Pulling steep grades, it's a no brainer. 

Hey Gary...I hear you and was surprised that these were the actual scaled weights...I expected my pin weight to be higher, but have scaled it twice with the same outcome give or take 20lbs. But what you say is accurate...we do experience more porpoising than I like...sometimes its a real uneasy feeling...this being my first 5th wheel, I wasn't sure what to expect, it that was a normal thing or not. What do you suggest as a remedy?

Rick

I have the same 5er, and I do experience porpoising on some roads. I tried to move as much weight as I could, into the forward basement compartments. That helped a little. I also noticed that the 5er was riding a bid nose high. I raised the pin box to the highest set of holes, in order to lower it. I haven't towed it yet in that configuration, so I don't know what the effect will be. I am wondering if an Air Ride pin box will be worth buying.

Joel

Back
Top Bottom