Using a 32 inch HD TV as a PC monitor, instead of the 20 inch one I have now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug_FL

My current home monitor is 6 yrs old. Where as my current home PC (I use it both at home & in RV), is 3 yrs old. I was thinking if
I bought a 32 inch HDTV. I could use that both as a TV and PC monitor. Instead of moving them from home to RV and back. The
6 yr old monitor can't last forever, so I will need to replace it sooner or later. What are the disadvantages of using a 32 inch HD TV
as a computer monitor? If there are any.

In the past, I tried using a 55 inch HD TV, as a monitor. That gave me a stiff neck. But, 32 inches is a lot smaller.

As long as the PC has an HDMI output or the TV has a VGA input, it will work just fine.  Since you already tried a 55", you must have an HDMI output from the PC so you should be good to go.  Just sit back far enough so you can see the whole screen :)

I have found that using a large monitor for a computer monitor is just too restricting for me. You have to sit in one exact spot and then have a wireless keyboard and mouse in your lap. I much prefer the freedom of a small laptop.

at work, I have two monitors, i think 21 in set up one above the other
and a TV, i forget if it's 32 inch or 37 inch beside them.  It's only 1080P

It's great.  I love it for multitasking, but the resolution is a bit low for the intended purpose of viewing large sheet architectural drawings.  It's fine, but I still need to zoom a bit to read some of the text that really should be legible at full page zoom.  A higher resolution would be better for the drawings.

It's fine for regular internet browsing, video, etc.... even with multiple windows tiled on the screen.... and the multiple monitors make the multitasking even better.

As others have stated, TVs are only 1080.  Even inexpensive monitors are 1360 or more.  Couple that with the bigger size and your eyes will notice the quality difference.

We have 5 computers hooked up to 60" HDTVs in an operations center.  They look OK from about 10 feet away.

I us an HP 23" monitor as my primary screen, and a 22" Visio TV as my second. The HP is definitely sharper, but in many ways the TV is better for watching videos, especially in color balance (yeah, I could improve that if I wanted to take the time and effort).

Get a 4K TV (4096 x 2160 pixels) or a UHDTV (3840 x 2160) and you'll have better resolution than most monitors.

For the record, the 37 inch 1080P TV I use as a monitor sits on my desk at a normal distance, maybe 30 inches to 36 inches on average
I routinely use it browsing the internet and using MS Word, MS excel, viewing PDF files, photos, etc....

My only real issue comes in trying to view full sized architectural drawings.... and even then it's the small text that is the issue, and that's not what I would call a normal use for most folks.

I have tried it with smaller 720P televisions, and that is not good.  Do not try it.

My advice, get a higher resolution TV as Ned suggests IF you can afford it and want to go high end (those things look great in the store!), but otherwise do not hesitate to use a large 1080P TV as a monitor.  It's ok.

I have a 26" widescreen monitor on the desk. It's great for photos, videos, websites, etc. But it's at the edge of my eyeball movement when reading documents. I think a 32" monitor would be like watching a tennis match when reading--after a session of the RV Forum my neck would be sore.  ;D ;)  Now, a large square monitor rather than wide screen would be ideal. Unfortunately, they dont make them anymore.  :-\

BruceinFL said:
I have a 26" widescreen monitor on the desk. It's great for photos, videos, websites, etc. But it's at the edge of my eyeball movement when reading documents. I think a 32" monitor would be like watching a tennis match when reading--after a session of the RV Forum my neck would be sore.  ;D ;)  Now, a large square monitor rather than wide screen would be ideal. Unfortunately, they dont make them anymore.  :-\

That's why windows are resizable.  Don't make everything full screen.  With a 26" display you can have 2 windows side-by-side and read either without turning your head.

Just for the record, square format monitors are readily available in sizes up to around 21". Samsung has a whole line of them in that format. You probably won't like the price, though, since they are now a specialty/commercial product rather than big box store item.

BruceinFL said:

If you sit 8 feet away from your screen, you'll be OK with a 32" !  ;D ;D ;D

You will need to confirm before you buy but most modern TV's have a wide range of inputs including

RF (Antenna/Cable)
A/V (Red/Yellow/White RCA jacks)
HDMI (special socket)
VGA (Computer usually has a 3.5MM stereo socket next to it for audio in)
S-Video (most folks do not even know what that is  It is a round I think 4 pin Mini Din of which only 3 are used)
Some have digital audio in and/or out
Less common is component PbPyPsomething else)
some have multiple A/V and HDMI

The biggest problem is the larger monitor is hard on your eyes when used with computer.  I know we used some big ones when I was working and it was so you did not see the whole screen you did everything in "Windowed" instead of full screen and did not see the windows you were not using at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom