Walking on roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I walk on the roof when necessary but I also have a ten foot step ladder and find that if I set it next to the trailer, I can reach much of what needs worked on.  I can use that for more than half of what I need to do up there.  Cleaning is an exception and I walk on the roof for that.  Regrettably, I am in the weight range of many of the other posters.

I recently bought a 13' Kit Companion built in 71 and have been using the rare sunny days here in the northwest to  seal the roof. So far I have been working on the edges, caulking the seams. My question: how would a person replace the roof vent on this old rig? There is no way I am going to walk on this roof. Maybe lay some boards across it? Any suggestions?

Unless the vent is reachable from a ladder, you're going to have to get on the roof. Just put a piece of 1/4" plywood up there. You'll have better luck with plywood. Your weight will transfer over a larger area.

I don't like heights, at all, and stay off the roof of my 13-foot high motor home. I hire someone to inspect and perform any repairs/routine maintenance.

Gypsy...
If it is a metal skin over wood rafters, be very cautious. Those typically have no substrate, so you can only step on the rafters, or place plywood across two rafters to provide a workspace. Those old trailers often had rather flimsy roofs.

BoomerD said:
(Sadly) I'm on the (very) far side of 250, and I'm on the roof of my 2002 Winnebago Minnie when ever it's needed.

Most of these coaches were built to hold an "average sized person" on the roof...what average is, is never mentioned...:p  and, of course, if the roof has ever had any leaks...that might have compromised the roof integrity and strength.

Well most coaches are made in the USA, so I would think they are on the side of the Average Sized American, not the Average Sized Asian, which my Sister in Law is Asian and she can't be more than 100 lbs soaking wet, where as my Brother is pushing 300 Lbs, He's currently trying to lose weight, but we all know how tough that is with a $8.95 buffet every square mile of the US.

I'm 185 and on my 1999 Adventurer several times a year, haven't found a soft spot yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking1957
Back
Top Bottom