Walmart sued over parking lot fire death.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Surely, if you're camping for free, you assume all responsibilities. That's besides the fact that leaving minors in a vehicle unattended is probably an offense.
The actions beggar belief.☹️

Poor kids probably were killed by smoke inhalation while sleeping. This is nothing but a way to let the mother blame someone else for her children’s deaths. It is one thing to leave older children in a vehicle when they are awake, and another thing entirely when one is just 6 and both asleep. A sad situation all around. Walmart will fight this tooth and nail because they do not want to be held responsible. Stopping all overnight stays would be considered agreeing it is an unsafe practice, and I don’t think they will do that.

Poor kids probably were killed by smoke inhalation while sleeping. This is nothing but a way to let the mother blame someone else for her children’s deaths. It is one thing to leave older children in a vehicle when they are awake, and another thing entirely when one is just 6 and both asleep. A sad situation all around. Walmart will fight this tooth and nail because they do not want to be held responsible. Stopping all overnight stays would be considered agreeing it is an unsafe practice, and I don’t think they will do that.
Maybe. Often, large corporations will settle and not admit any liability with non-disclosure agreements required. If it costs them $5 million, that is still much less than a jury awarding $50 million because they feel sorry for the family. You never know what a jury will do in these cases, but often they award huge settlements.

Regardless, I would not be surprised to see them discontinue the practice just to limit liability and the hassle of dealing with claims like these. It would be an inconvenience for RVers and truckers, but probably wouldn't hurt their bottom line at all.

I would refuse to make book on the outcome here. Walmart was not responsible for this in any way shape or form but the the Legal Begals just have to preform for the show. If the thing goes badly and the big parking lots lock us out, so be it. We are travelers not campers and all we need is a flat place to stop. Level and quiet is nice, but we don't need it. We also do need to patronize Cracker Barrel, Sam's Club, Cabela's, Bass Pro or Walmart. Those were just really convenient stopping places.
Matt

At our local Walmart - pretty rural and quiet, No Overnight Parking" signs appeared a few months ago. I know one of the floor managers and spoke with her about it. She said - NOT ENFORCED! Would not say why the signs were put up. I see RVs and trucks there anytime I'm in the area early AMs. Right across the street is a Shopping Center with a Lowes. They park there as well.

Our Walmart's close by do not allow it, they don't want the meth heads setting up shop and dealing in the parking lot. And they do enforce it.

Someone said it was settled.
Wondering what the settlement was
Though I can go to IRV2. Without a link where
Does Wal Mart have an obligation to protect Freeloaders?
Seems that question was answered.

That was settled, re-read the irv2.com thread.
I wasn't even aware of such thread. Quite long! (22 pages and counting). But what I can see is that the civil suit that the mother of the girl who died won was against the man who packed the camping stove into his van while it was still hot.

This is a new suit against Walmart and it was just announced last week.

So sad and really stupid on the camper's part and the mom's part. Lot's of stuff can go wrong leaving a 9 year old in charge and in a parking lot.

The way I read the complaint the camper dude actually moved fro where he camped and parked next to the victims car.

Walmart may have a rebuttal that says he was done camping and at that point was just like any other dumba$$ customer we have.

I would think that the complainant would have to tie the act of camping to the harm incurred.

It's fun to play armchair lawyer - LOL.

I noticed today my Walmart has no camping signs - don't know if they have always been there.

This evening 4 RVs and 2 semis were parked up.

It's not uncommon to see no parking/camping signs in some Walmart parking lots due to a local ordinance, but law enforcement won't act unless Walmart calls in a complaint. Unless a camper is doing something really outside the norm, no complaint is likely.

We've had numerous discussions here about "camping at WalMart", some of them turning negative. For whatever reason, folks think that WalMart's security is there to protect them (the campers/overnighters). Folks also try to convince us that they're really not trying to save the cost of a campsite, because they "spend $30 at the store". Hm, if we need $30 of goods at WM, we don't assume we could/should stay overnight at a WM parking lot.

Even in daylight hours, I've seen too many drug activities in the corner of a WM lot. Add that to the fact that a WM store would likely be in the low rent district of a town we don't know, and we'd move on to the next campground.

Apologies if my recollection is a little vague ... some years ago it was reported/linked here that a family travelling across country (en route to Disneyland) in an expensive motorhome, stopped for the night at a WM. Late in the evening there was a knock on the door and the owner was confronted with a druggie. When the druggie tried to acost the guy's daughter, he opened fire killing the guy. No charges were brought, but the family was stuck at the site for a week while police investigated. I doubt they enjoyed their vacation, or are likely to use that RV again.

Last edited:
I noticed today my Walmart has no camping signs - don't know if they have always been there.
Generally if a Wal-Mart has "No camping" sign it's the result of local, or state laws where the campground owner's association has convinced the legislators of the "Dangers" of allowing overnighting (They lose a bit of profit that's the danger). This is aided by the occasional criminal who does something stupid like dump the waste in the storm sewer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom