Wanted: Recommendation for temporary RV (used), resale concerns.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcg9381

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I thought I'd come to where the experts are.
My wife and I are building a custom home in central Texas.  The process is rather time intensive.  We're going to lose our current lease back situation in about 45 days.

I'm going to have a 32x32 barn erected on site within that time frame and hopefully have on site sewer / septic installed.  The residential construction will take anywhere from 3-6 months.

We're considering buying a pull-behind RV and "toughing" it out a bit in that barn for that period of time.  We have enough storage for our household goods in the barn, but we'd obviously prefer not to completely burn funds renting for 6 months.  We're also having a hard time finding a "short term" rental that won't burn us on rate or availability.

One of the considerations is that we could purchase a pull-behind RV and live in it, on-site for 4-6 months.  We have a truck capable of towing over 10K lbs.
I'd love to stay under $10k on the RV, so I'm looking for recommendations on years/makes/models that have a reasonable chance of resale.  I'm even willing to take a loss on the thing, but obviously not willing to lose my shirt.

We'd need something that has a shower, A/C, and a basic refrigerator.  I can put 50A power in on site.

Advise appreciated

Your timing is good, very good, as the RV market is suffering right now.  It is a buyer's market. 

In my experience, finding a good CLEAN used RV is a challenge.  If you tend to be neat and tidy and don't like somebody else's odors, I would recommend getting a new one.  You'll get all the latest appliances and nobody else's lingering habits and modifications.

Putting the RV in the barn is a great idea, especially if you can hook up to water, electric and your new septic.  But, be really careful using propane appliances in an enclosed area!  You'll need to have excellent ventilation or you'll end up taking a 'dirt nap' via CO asphyxiation.  Ooopsie.  Plus, unless you've got windows in the barn, there is no view!  That could be a security issue on a construction site.

Having said that, and the fact that you are in TX and will likely have decent weather, consider putting the TT in the most strategic location near your utilities.  That way you can keep your barn closed up and critters out of your stored belongings. 

If you're up North, you'll have to be aware that most TT's are three season and are prone to freeze up.  I.e., water lines, gray and black tanks.  Guys that use them for hunting in cold climates simply winterize them and then don't use the 'facilities'.  Usually the boondocking approach, with a genset for power.  Not acceptable for day to day living.

A real advantage to having the TT in a barn is avoidance of prying local code enforcement and the tax assessor.  Each county has different ordinances on how a TT or mobile home is to be handled while building and several states assess the units as personal property.  If you never plate it, you may be able to avoid the property tax, but it's usually pretty minimal and is easier just to pay it and be done with it.  You should check out the local ordinances.  You could claim the TT is just parked there and not being used,  but that may not be too smart either as you'll have local code enforcement at your building site with some frequency and believe me, they are wise to these arrangements.

If local ordinances allow it, it may be worthwhile to check into simply leasing a real mobile home for xx months...  A two year 'allowance' on a building site is typical local code.  Might be money and effort saved?  Four season ready.  No capital outlay other than the lease and someone else hauls it in, sets it up and hauls it away when the lease is up.  No buying and selling headaches.  You'll just have to run the numbers.

If it were me, I would find a way to live on site to protect my new investment and the belongings in the barn.  Unless of course you have really good insurance...

Rocky - thanks for the advice.

I can tell you that I won't buy new.  I'm sure (like everything else) that buying new guarantees significant off-the-lot appreciation.  I'm hopeful that we can find a clean used one, or at least one used that's in good enough condition for us to deal with after a good cleaning.

Good note on the propane appliances - I appreciate that.

I'm in the Austin, TX area.  We have 3-5 freezes per year, most of them light freezes.  In an enclosed space, especially an insulated one, freezing isn't an issue.

Code enforcement:
We've purchased in an "unincorporated" area.  The only restrictions are no businesses and that our home has to be worth at least $1000 (thank you restrictions circa 1950).

I'll look into the mobile home option, but we'd prefer to be on site.  Bringing one on-site, with leveling is possible, but we'd be in a difficult pull-through location with a full mobile home after the house is built.

In terms of RV resale: Is it more about features and condition?  Are there makes and models (other than the obvious airstream) that are more desirable than others in my price range?

In terms of RV resale: Is it more about features and condition?  Are there makes and models (other than the obvious airstream) that are more desirable than others in my price range?

Yes, BUT.... the market place is the BIG driver.  Regional differences apply and the condition of the national economy. 

You'll just have to study what sells in your area.  Clean and lightly used units will sell more quickly than a feature laden unit that was more of a doghouse than a people house.  ;)  We looked at several used ones before buying new.  More often than not, we took a few steps in and exited quickly.  I came to the conclusion that a lot of folks out there are simply slobs. :(  We gave up wasting time on looking for a CLEAN used unit and bought new. 

A disadvantage to buying new, other than immediate depreciation, is the 'debugging' of new units.  They are not made to very high quality levels.  Don't expect automotive quality.  There are exceptions, like Airstream, but you'll pay, pay, pay.

Right now, there should be a good selection of clean used units out there.  All it will take is time to find one.  Click on the library icon and find the checklist for buying a used unit.  The checklist for receiving a new unit will work also with a little modification.

Maybe someone who lives in the area can offer up some ideas.

Look at new ones so you know what the current offerings are as you'll be competing against this when you sell one.  It is a buyer's market, and the 'end' of the season, so you're in a good position.

A $10k budget for a fairly large RV is going to put you into the "old" category, so finding a nice one is going to take some searching. They are out there, but you appear to be in a rush. Private sales are your best bet, so check ebay, craig's list and the numerous RV sale websites. Ignore the asking price, look up  the value in NADAGUIDES.COM and make a LOW offer. Below Low retail to start with, at least.

;D

If I were going to do what you propose, I would be looking for a Thor-built Airstream Excella travel trailer from the late eighties or early nineties. These have mostly "depreciated out". They are now priced about as low as they are ever going to be. There are a few of them around and can be found for sale on eBay and on dedicated Airstream websites.

They are quality units and you should be able to pick up a 31 footer for about $10k and resell it the same way after you are done with it. The larger 34' triple axle models are often a little more expensive but you might appreciate the extra room. Your TV can handle anything up to a 34" tri-axe if it can tow 10k lbs.

Most of these were owned by discerning, knowledgeable, well-heeled RV'ers who took good care of them & didn't need to stint on maintenance.

Earlier Airstreams down to 1971 are also worth considering but if in very good shape (a surprising number are that way) offer little price advantage over the later Thor-builts. Airstream purists like the look of the earlier trailers better and that keeps their prices up. Ones older than '71's lack some modern conveniences, IMHO, and are really only for Airstream nuts like me.

The Airstream Forum (google their website) offers members in your area who will check out a trailer you might be interested in buying & tell you what's wrong with it.

John Alldredge

Neat-O, an Airstream of reasonable size for 10K!  Didn't know one could find an older Airstream in good useable shape that inexpensively.  Good deal.  Good post, wilfreddrabble. 

The ones I heard about in the 'lower' price ranges required remodeling/fixing/updating.  Not wanting another project, I just marked it off the list early on.  Shame on me for not looking into it deeper. 

Live and learn. ;)

Also see if there's someone out there that can benefit from your situation.  Perhaps a Craigslist ad titled "I'll Rent Your RV" and describing the circumstances of your planned usage.  If I had a trailer that was just sitting unused for some period of time (for any of a number of reasons), I'd be thrilled to make some money renting it out to a responsible couple that would be using it while stored INDOORS.  That's like them getting paid for covered storage!  Texas is huge for camping because of the year-round warm weather, so there's got to be someone out there.  If there are any large campground communities in your area, I'd start by asking the front offices if they have any kind of on-site advertisements (even a flyer stuck up on a bulletin board) that you can utilize.

gonemissin said:
Neat-O, an Airstream of reasonable size for 10K!  Didn't know one could find an older Airstream in good useable shape that inexpensively.  Good deal.  Good post, wilfreddrabble. 

The ones I heard about in the 'lower' price ranges required remodeling/fixing/updating.  Not wanting another project, I just marked it off the list early on.  Shame on me for not looking into it deeper. 

Live and learn. ;)

These days, the going rate for Airstream fixer uppers that are otherwise desirable seems to be under $4k on eBay. $10k should get you something pretty decent - ready to move into. Up to $20k better be extraordinary and/or nearly new.

The very small Airstreams like Bambis are high priced if in good shape.

The market for 31 footers and above is softer and there are quite a few of them available. Many Airstream cllub members are into rallying in a big way and the smaller trailers are better for that. Some own more than one Airstream, with a little one just for rallies.

John Alldredge, lifetime Airstream wannabe.

We have never owned or even used and Airstream although our son has an older one.  Interesting thing was that while we were in Texas last year our neighbors had an Airstream which actually I thought was new as it looked new.  Talking to him I complemented him on it to which he replied they had bought a new one trading in their old one a few months earlier.  He indicated the quality of the new one was no where near that of the one they traded in and had too many problems. They went back to get their old one which wasn't available.  They ended up taking a loss but were able to get the one they they had when I was talking to them. They indicated even though it is used they are a lot happier with it as the quality is equal to their original.  Sounds as if Airstream changed may have owners too.

Ron said:
Sounds as if Airstream changed may have owners too.

They did... the Airstream name & design are owned by Thor Industries, Inc. now, which is the parent company for over a dozen RV & bus manufacturers.  Not that I'm dogging on Thor since I own one.  ;)  But like anything, once a bigger conglomarate takes over sometimes that original quality of a smaller operation can suffer - which is probably what's happened with some newer Airstream products.

There are plenty on Craigslist.  Spend a few days looking over the rv's and prices.  Also do a price check at Kelly Blue Book.  As long as you don't overpay, you can easily resell the rig for the same price or slightly lower in a few months.

Buying new is not an option for you because of the high overhead and marked up retail price.  I've never understood why we the consumers accept a 20% depreciation for driving a vehicle off the lot.

Here is a link to Austin Craigslist RV;s.
http://austin.craigslist.org/search/rvs?query=&minAsk=5000&maxAsk=10000

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom