Water heater element

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Usand2boys

How quickly does a water heater element blow if you run the water heater with no water in it? Is it easily replacable?  :-\

Yes, they are universal.  The one you need, however, is quite short.  The hardware store I use carries several, so you could take yours out and bring it with to get the correct one.

Sorry to throw the closing the barn door after the horse is out scenario at you but I have a winterizing check list I put on a laminated card. The first item on the list is turn off the hot water breaker. Don't ask why that is number one.

On Atwood water heaters they tell you to remove the RED wire from the ECO terminal ... This protects it against "OPPS, No Water" like nothing else.. Of course come spring you may wonder why the FAULT light comes on.. but once you hit your forehead with heal of hand (And re-attach the wire) it will work normally.

There are actually a couple different styles and power ratings for RV water heater elements, so make sure you know which one you have before heading to the store. For Atwood heaters there is a bolt-in type and a screw-in type, but both are standard heater elements and should be readily available in home improvement or hardware stores. Older Atwoods used a 1500 watt element; they changed to 1400 watt in 1996. The 1400 watt cab be used to replace the 1500 watt element - it just heats a tiny bit slower.

Suburban heaters use a 1440 watt element, also a readily available standard component. I think Suburban also has both bolt-in and screw-in types, but don't know what years has which type. I believe the more recent models are all screw-ins.

Aren't most home water heaters are 220 volt while RV water heaters are 120 volt and shouldn't the OP look for a 120v version?

I have a 02 Montana with a 10 gal Suburban and it has the screw in type.  I replaced mine with a 1500 watt- it may heat a little faster but then I very seldom plug in when camping.  I do have a switch on the heater and also a breaker to the heater.  I keep both of them turned off, so someone (?) won't burn out the element again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom