Water line frozen! Can I still blow out lines using compressed air?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oregonnativekory

I have one finicky water line( hot water going to bathroom sink). All other lines are unfrozen and I am about to leave the trailer in "teen" temps for a few days and want to ensure the residual water in the lines doesnt freeze after I turn off the water. Is it safe to hook up to compressed air to blow out the other lines and water heater, if one line is frozen? Will it blow up?

Thank you in advance!

It's safe enough if you keep the air pressure below about 50 psi (which you should do anyway), but obviously the frozen line won't blow clear.

Can you turn on the water heater for awhile and (hopefully) thaw that line out too? Then you could clear them all.

Thaw the line with a hair dryer and then blow out the lines. I would turn on the faucet to the frozen line and then use the hair dryer and when the line thaws the pump will force water through. Shouldn't take long.

So long as the frozen part is not at the END of a PEX run you should be OK, Pex can take freezing, Fittings can not.
But the hair dryer suggestion is still a very good one. That way you remove all doubt, also all water.

Another thought. What is the temp going to be at oh, say 4:30 PM tomorrow?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom