Weapons on board ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot to inquire about caliber... 32, 380, 38, 40, 357, 45, 9mm, ...revolver/semi-auto... too many choices...

I don't know what is going on with ammunition these days but there is none available in our little town.    The shelves are, literally, bare at Wally World.  We called the Lt and he is able to help us out for the class. 

thanks for the discussion, it is very, very informative for me.

Kevin, that's kinda hard to respond to.  :-\ But you will do what you will do. Fortunately, the liklihood of this event is low.

I want to come through the event, first of all, alive, preferably uninjured. Secondly, I'd like for everyone else to make it, also. (Yes, including the Bad Guy.) Thirdly, I have very little I am willing to fight for. Everything is insured. That leaves my wife, two dogs and a cat to fight for.

I have much more unpleasant experience than is fair, for one person, quite a bit more training than most, and a drive to avoid any trouble I don't have to accept. If I don't have to do any of that, ever again, that will be just fine with me.  ;D

Ray D  ;D

taoshum, you asked,
I forgot to inquire about caliber... 32, 380, 38, 40, 357, 45, 9mm, ...revolver/semi-auto...

They will most likely discuss that in your class. A  few notes, my opinion:

Avoid the 32. It is notoriously ineffective with a sad history.  :mad:

Be ware of 357 and 9mm, if you will be using a gun for home defense. They penetrate well beyond what is needed and useful, and endanger innocent people down range. 9mm can be made safer by ammo selection. You can discuss that in your class. There is no redeaming the 357, for potential inside work. You can, however, use 38 special in a 357, and be careful about selection, for bullet type. I suggest Glasser Safety Slugs. They stop, when they hit almost anything, under most circumstances. Of course, any bullet that misses your target is a hazard, down range. Have a backstop, or don't shoot!

Semi Auto is fast, carries larger ammo loads, more compact, more complicated, a bit more inclined to malfunction - vs - Revolver which is almost perfectly reliable, a little larger and heavier, generally, and uncomplicated to operate and maintain (foolproof). I have both, depending upon where I am going and how I am dressed.

Ho hum, what shall I wear, today?  :D  ::) ::)

Ray D  ;D

I kid my SIL because he wears a Leatherman and mini mag lite on his belt.

taoshum, sorry, I can't help myself.  :D

Don't worry too much about the gun selection. It's a  lot like RVing, or any other hobby/interest. There aren't enough toys to satisfy the need  interest. If you like the venue, you will need another gun, and then another. You will have all of the calibers and two or more of some of them. You may have more ammo than Cabellas has. But that ain't what gets you!  ::)

Holsters get you. I have more holsters for each of my guns, than I have guns. For each gun, you need a hip-holster for the belt. You need a pocket holster! You need one that goes on the belt, but inside the pants, for concealment. Also, you need one for the ankle, under the arm, small of the back, and more. You will need some nice ones, too. That would be like alligator, for the side, shark skin for the ankle and small of the back. You will need a Dick Tracy rig for the shoulder and more, and variations for each gun. You need a  :mad: BLACK  :mad: holster, for each! That is because black is mean! I have more money invested in holsters than I ever did in guns.  :D

Edited: I just realized! I need a leather hip-holster for my J Frame Smith, stained to match the colors on my motorhome!  ::) ::)

Then, you need belts. You need - - - never mind, I'm going back to my corner!  ::)

Been passing guns down to the kids. (These kids are 49, 50, and 51 but they are still my kids.) I load them up with holsters!  :D :D :D

Ray, you sound like my stepson... his gun safe is so large, when they moved last time, they had to hire a crane to lift the safe into a big truck and then unload it at the new house...  What is your favorite?

Been passing guns down to the kids. (These kids are 49, 50, and 51 but they are still my kids.) Ray .how would you like another son.I really wouldn't mind being the youngest. I sometimes do take a pistol with me when camping. I have a ccp and a membership at a pistol club. What really scares me are the people who take guns and have not practiced in a long time. I think most people are not as good of shot as they think they are.

I went back and reread your original post. I will try to answer your question with that in mind.

My favoite gun? All of them! That's easy.

I have 8 guns left, with two of those scheduled to be handed down, as soon as I settle an argument in my own mind. The kids stayed up to date in my vigilante days, that's 10 years; and then my volunteer PD days, 10 more years. I lived in a nice, middle class neighborhood, that turned very dangerous when hostile, drug dealing gangs moved in and tried repeatedly to "take over." The kids all want the "experienced" guns. I suppose those guns will become family legends. That's fine.

You indicate that you are more interested in a gun for travel in a motorhome. You, also, mentioned that someone fired through your windshield. I strongly advise against engaging in a gun fight between moving vehicles. If you want to pursue that type of preparedness, you need specialized training for that, and at least two guns. I had that problem as a constant threat, in our cars, and used a 357 mag, revolver and a 357 mag Winchester 94, Trapper, "car guns." One stops the vehicle, blocking as much traffic as possible. Then one uses the revolver for cover, getting to the carbine. The carbine is used to keep the fight at a distance until help arrives. Training for this is a bit rough and tumble. Those guns are not, otherwise, weapons of choice for self defense. Avoid areas where this is a hazard, and skip the preparations for it. YMMV

My "favorite" for ordinary carry was a Colt, Officer's Model, 45ACP, stainless, very lighty modified by an experienced, locally renowned, gunsmith, for concealed carry, quick access and smooth draw. Recently my oldest son "inherited" it. It had become unmanageable for me, due to weakening wrists as old age takes its toll. Too painful to shoot. I really hated to see it go. My 9mm Glock 26 moved up, into the vacancy. It is unmodified. Comes ready to go, right out of the box.

Our RV guns are J-Frame S&W Revolvers. Mine is an Airweight, hammerless. It's a mean little gun and it hurts to practice, due to recoil. My wife's gun is stainless, with a hammer. Heavier, more friendly to the shooter. They are revolvers for reliability, particulary for sleepy, clumsy hands, when things go bump in the night. They are modified with Crimson Trace laser sights. They are loaded with Glasser Safety Slugs, for limited penetration and ricochet resistance, in a motorhome. Both are experienced guns, and we have confidence in them. Great for defense. Really bad choice for offense. If I must take the fight to the enemy, I'll use the Glock.  Again, YMMV.

There is no safe way to do a gunfight.  ::)

I hope this is useful to you.

Ray D  ;D

First let me say, I am a 19 year active duty LEO just waiting for my time to retire and become a fulltime RVer.

When selecting a handgun, select a quality brand name Firearm. The qualities you are looking for are Safety, dependability, and ability to stop the threat. A few years back My partner and myself were the first to respond to a scene of a shooting. After everybody was secured, the suspects were not cooperative and would not tell us where the gun was. Needless to say, we had to find it then. By this time, about eight of us were there. Unknown to us, the gun was wrapped up in a lightweight jacket sitting on the trunk of a car. One of the officers picked up the jacket. The gun fell out, hit the ground, and discharged. One of the other officers was shot in the groin. He eventually turned out to be ok and continued his career with no problems. This is why you NEVER buy a cheap gun. If you are unsure about what to buy, just contact a reasonably sized PD and find out what they carry. PD's conduct a lot of research on the weapons they carry and anything a cop carries, is going to be a good bet and will meet all of the criteria. Now, you must also carry decent ammo. Again, find out what kind of ammo a cop is carrying. Now some ammo is not available to the general public but most is.

Shoot to kill vs. shoot to stop....Let me explain why this is important. I have been trained to "Shoot to stop", never shoot to kill. In some states you can actually shoot someone to protect property. in most states, you cannot do this. Let's say you are in my state (Ohio), if someone were to look out of there house and see someone breaking into your car. let's say you come out of the house and for whatever reason you shoot the perp and he dies (I would hope nobody would do this in any state regardless of the law). If you say "I shot to kill" you have just set up yourself to face a murder rap vs. Voluntary manslaughter. One will get you a few years in jail. The other is going to get you a minimum of 15 years.

Jeff

Hello again all:

All post were good for me.... knowledge shared appreciated.
I have wanted to share an experience I had while traveling recently, one which made me glad I was carring a weapon. This last post (a week after last post in thread) renewed my resolve to express (relate) this event in STORY form. It would be based on this true happening as I recalled it, and, putting on paper would provide a growth challenge for me.   
I'll be back.....

ya gotta love our country though, criminals have more rights than the vic. If we could only go back to removing fingers everytime your caught stealing something maybe things would change ;D

taoshum said:
...we are taking some classes in self defense...

Spend the extra time and money to get a carry permit (if offered in your state).
Both of you should get one in case you are in the toad and had to stow it while running into a store with a Gun Buster Sign and she's in the vehicle with a weapon and no license.

I doubt I'll carry much, but, it's comforting to know I can should I find myself in a bad area from which I can not readily exit. We got our carry permits this year primarily to add a legal buffer for the weapon we keep in the bedroom of the motorhome. It also demonstrates our support for the NRA and their fight for our rights.

Remember: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Here is story....
Let me know if it was readable and/or entertaining.

"The Story"
I had spent an hour in Cloverdale, CA., filling up fuel, talking to people in and out of gas station?s store front, just relaxing after hours of driving north on Rt. 101 from San Francisco. Now all this time my TV?s tail gate is down, exposing tools and an expensive generator. Additionally, I had climbed up into truck to fill generator with gas, and this activity brought more ?eyes? on equipment. It was early evening and community was alive with farmers and ?farm help people? coming in and out of the gas station.
In the course of my conversations I had given my plans of travel up to, and along coast to a few people. Most of course were envious, expressing the desire to be able to travel this way; just stopping where convenient to observe the beauty of California?s coast. And I must admit that my ?personality? needs to tell others of my good fortunes. I tend to brag.

This road, SR128, is a twisting and narrow road, with young trees overhanging the road providing a canopy which blocked direct sunlight. It is a lonely road, and even more lonely and ominous during the closing hours of the day. Occasionally, driveways leading to farms and sparsely placed homes would allow glimpses of grape vine fields and rolling hills as I moved northwest towards Ft. Bragg. I would never reach the coast this evening, turning back in fear, seeking the familiar, a community where people existed, something other than the unknown of this road.

I left Cloverdale, beginning the climb into the hills allowing cars to pass me whenever I could by pulling to right, at spots designed for that purpose. Traffic became infrequent, and maybe a half hour into climb, I noticed a car following, but not interested in passing. After providing this vehicle enough chances to pass, I pulled over and stopped, making them pass my ?Rig?. As the car passed in a normal manner, I saw a low ?banger?s? type vehicle, and in it were four young males. I then reentered the road, traveling a few more turns, maybe a mile more, and there was the same car, pulled over in an area to the side, making me pass them.
Now at this point my instincts (and fearful personality) started the wheels turning. I recalled my activities at the gas station and it entered my mind that I may have been identified as a target, someone traveling alone, with an RV that might be attractive & exciting to young men on the prowl and up to no good.  

In front again, and not liking it, I traveled a few miles then I pulled over and stopped for a second time in a driveway. Looking in the driver?s mirror, a few moments passed before their car rounded a curve and slowly approached.  Now in my mind my worse fears were confirmed. I positioned my cell phone to my ear, removing it in a manner that would have allowed them to see I had this phone, but removing it just as they rolled along side my driver?s window. My intent was to pretend I did not want them to know I was on the cell phone, thus creating a sense that I was talking to someone about the situation.
The car pulled along side me slowly and I watched the passenger roll his window down in preparation to talk, and it entered my mind that they would block my path back to the highway. At this moment I made up my mind to just ram and push them away if the driver angled his vehicle anywhere near my front path. I was confident this powerful truck I was driving was up to task.
Now you must understand I?m a bluffer, I?m good at it, all my life I have been proud of my ability to get quiet and look unafraid at moments like this, moments of real or imagined danger.
I reluctantly gave the passenger my attention as he said most respectfully:
?Excuse me sir, do you know if this road goes to Mandocino??

I did not vocalize my response, but rather shrugged my shoulders and slowly shook my head. There was a moment of silence and slowly the passenger realized that this was the extent of my willingness to exchange information. His body returned forward and the vehicle moved off slowly to the north. I brought the cell phone to my ear and leaned my head out in an exaggerated effort to read the license plate, as I mouthed an imaginary number to an imaginary person. I did not see if I was observed, but that was my intent.

Was the car and it?s passengers following me? I do not know. It was at this moment that I decided to turn back. Slowly I proceeded to a point where the road provided a turn around. I never seen that vehicle again, and driving south, back the ten miles I had traveled, parking in the lot of Cloverville?s police department; was what was necessary to give me peace of mind.

Was I correct in my conclusions regarding those young men? I?ll never know. But that night as I went to sleep, I was glad my rifle was in trailer.
Mr. Bojangles

I don't carry outside my state.  I live 10 miles from a state that does not recognize my permit.  However, I have often carried in the other state by mistake.  I almost get an ulcer before I get over the border.  I don't want the hassle or expensive due to carrying in states that don't recognize my permit.

this debate has been raging for years and the only true answer I believe is what are you comfortable with.

I carry a billy tire jack next to my door, obtained at most truck stops for $12. The billy jack is a very small baseball bat used to check your tires. Of course it doesn't do me any good when I'm away from the MH.  I try to be very vigilante however when your tired or having lots of fun it is easy to become complacent.  You can leave your steps up so people can't get up close to the door. (don't forget them on the way out as I did), only open a window to talk to someone not the door.  Leave the door light on at night (annoying to lots of other campers).  Have a motion sensing light by the door. I've heard of people putting 14" or larger shoes by the door.  Also, a large dog bowl of water and a lease hanging off the door handle.

I know many people that carry.  They claim it is there home and they have the right to do so.  How will anyone know if you  are armed, shoot someone, an accident, etc.  I have heard the stories as you probably have, judged by 12 rather than carried by 6.  My 2nd amendment right and so on.

Good luck with your decision.

You could get a nasty dog or one of those fake recorders.
Russ, - WB3FQI/6

Jim, you asked for it, so i will give you a critique.  ;)

First, well and interestingly written. I'd write a few stories, but I get too wordy - even when someone just asks me the time. Your story was long enough to develop an understanding and short enough to be quickly read.

For advice, always follow your instinct, when your spider-sense is tingling. It is probably correct. When you percieve a threat, move to safer ground.

In my drug war days, my Subaru XT was shot, 4 times - 4 occasions. My Subaru Station Wagon was shot once. My pickup was shot once, resilting in no damage, if you don't count my face. The shooter, a drug gang enforcer stuck a gun out the window suddenlly, at point bank range and took a shot at me. The bullet missed, in the open drivers window and out the open window on the passenger side, but I had powder burns  on my face. Still pick little specs of burned powder out of the left side of my face, from time to time. Police got him, and he is still in prison, last I knew.

Police advised me, when suspicious of a car following, make a random turn. I f he follows the turn, make another. Third time he follows, he's a real threat. Then go to nearest police station if possible, while talking to 911. Alternatively, pull into a crowded parking lot, while giving your location to the operator. Better safe than sorry

Ray D  ;D

Previous post was very difficult to accomplish. Wouldn't let me scroll down. I typed some, in the blind. Then it wouldn't let me type any more, at all. Wouldn't let me edit.

WhadIdo? If this continues, it will solve my "wordiness" problem!  ::) ::)

Ray D  ???

Ray, if you're using IE 8, turn on compatibility mode for rvforum.net.  It's a known bug in IE 8 and affects a number of web sites with text editors.

Back
Top Bottom