Weapons on board ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ray, read this thread or else try it again after hitting the Compatibility View button.  It involves a scrolling bug in the IE browser software.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,22076.0.html

OK, just switched to IE 8, yesterday. Where is the compatibility button? And, I will read the thread as advised. I think I remember such a thread.

Ray D  :-\

Two buttons to the left of the red X on the second line from the top towards the right center (on my screen anyway).

Ray, once you set compatibility mode for the forum you don't have to set it again.  IE will remember it.  It's on the Tools menu.

Thanks.

Did it.

Gonna check it out.

Trying, now.

Going.

Going.

So far so good.

I'm thinking it works.

Still going.

I think I'm happy.

;D

;D

crosscountry:
this debate has been raging for years and the only true answer I believe is what are you comfortable with.
Amen....

Ray D:
Appriciate your input.... I also suffer from "wordiness" syndrome and "story" served two purposes..., justify carrying weapon, and exercise to improve writing efforts...  it will happen, but, I can not keep using forums.

Just reading thru all the posts on this thread.  I find it very interesting that very few actually answered the OP's questions.

Here is my advice on what to do:
Go to your local gun shop or range,  Many will allow you to try or rent weapons for your see which ones feel more comfortable when using.  This is very important as you must be comfortable with your choice.  What works for me may not work for you and visa versa.

Make a firm decision on your choice, then go and obtain training in how to handle your weapon.  This would be in how to operate and maintain.  Then sign up for training in how to operate, function, and decide what to do in various situations.  If you do not do this then when your under stress your likely to make some mistakes.  These courses will also help you in the mindset that you need to deal with what ever situation may occur.  Remember, your in a defensive mode.  You have no back up, nor do you have an unlimited resupply of ammo.  Sometimes the best offense is a good defense.  Maybe you situation will be  better to back away from the situation.  The training you receive will help you to make these choices.

Check out your states CCW laws and also obtain the laws for all 50 states.  Some states will recip with your state.  Others will not.  Some of those that do not recip,  will allow you to obtain a non resident permit.  Make sure you understand all the laws, and which states allow you to travel in and how your weapons can be carried.

Once you receive your training continue to train on your own and also with other courses.  Practice, practice, practice..... If you full time there are many facilities around the country that you can use, or sign up for.  Just google firearms training.

Someone in an earlier post mentioned they travel with an unloaded weapon.  You might as well not even carry.  If a situation should occur you will not have the time to find your rounds and load.

Do not travel to Canada, or Mexico with weapons or ammo.  Make sure you fully understand the laws of each of those Countries.  Canada will allow long guns but not pistol.  Mexico is a no go on weapons and ammo.

With all that said, the best advice and go get some training, more training, practice, practice, practice.

A handy tool to have is a shotgun.  A pump shotgun is very loud when you pump it inside your rv in the middle of the night.

If for some reason you need to show it or tell you have it with you then you can claim it is to go TRAP SHOOTING.

However, before you show it take the infrared scope off and the mag lite.

Russ

check these sites out for additional information:

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/department10.cfm

Select the state you are in and see states that will honor your permit.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Russ

First of all, Thanks for all the thoughts and stories!  We finished our CC class last Friday at the local shooting range.  Both of us passed with 100% of the qualifying rounds on the target.  The classroom sessions were very helpful and covered many of the topics that are in this thread.  The instructor was a retired state department security chief and had some chilling stories.  Now he has a security alarm response company.  Just encountering him in full field equipment would get me to "give up".

We fired 380's, 9mm's, 38's, 45's all in revolver and semi-auto.  Just have to remember the "safety circle" and a load of other things.  He demo-ed a 45 cal silencer as well.  There were tactical reloads, speed reloads, and even some close quarter drills, even though he said most "situations" take about 3 rounds max to resolve.

Learning the details of the laws in NM was a real eye opener.  We have reciprocity with 20 other states which  seemed low but  what do I know... at least all of our bordering states reciprocate.  I also ride a motorcycle from time to time and was amazed to find out that "any motorized conveyance" is an extension of your home... so whatever you can do with weapons in your home, you can do in your vehicle, even without a ccp, at least in NM.

Seems like this thread oughta be a tutorial somewhere, it is so insightful, so thanks again to all.

Now we have to make some decisions.

I have been considering caring a weapon for protection and several friends in law enforcement suggested that I take a shotgun there are several reasons but a few were the sound of racking a shotgun will stop most intruders if you have to fire the sound is much more terrifying and most people without training and practice could not hit a target the size of a person under the pressure of the moment.

Tommy T  2006 Magna

re: shotgun

yes, it has a distinctive sound and throws a big pattern... if you have the space, if you can get to it quickly, if the confrontation is not in close where the person/animal you are trying to protect yourself against can knock the gun away, if you can swing the barrel around to fire at additional targets, ... RVs are roomy but not as roomy as we might think.  I'd borrow one of each, handgun and shotgun and practice some in the situation you think you might encounter.  JMHO, FWIW.

The shotgun is simply not a RV protection weapon. Will work fine, in most stick houses. For an RV, it is too long for the confines, too slow to bring it up and into action and too slow to get to, to start with. Yes, the racking sound is blood-curdling, especially in the dark. But, once you rack it, you're just about done as far as bringing it to bear in tight quartrs.  :(

Just to run the rest of the table, put the rifle behind, well behind, the shotgun for home defense, either in a stick house or in an RV. Same problem as shotgun, plus the bullet is going to go through the target and then, a lot of walls. Includes neighbor's walls as well as your own.  :mad:

Taoshum, you seemed to have learned some, in that class. Good for you!  ;D

Handguns are made for that application. And, to echo a previous post above, by Jeff, buy only the top of the line brands. Cost a little more. Buys reliability. But then how much is your life worth?   ;)

Ray D  ;D

Gary , You did not mention where you were from and of course every state is different.  I lived in NY which was hard to get a carry permit unless you owned a business, but it depends on which county you reside because when we moved north an hour that county only issued full carry. (I don't understand that because it is still all NY and is good throughout the state) except the city. I moved to NC and within 3 month total (after taking a class) had my concealed carry which is honored in 38 other states.

I believe it should be nationwide, but anyway , I was at a gun show and an elderly couple were there for the same reason you are asking about and they bought a shotgun , which you may have even in NY without a permit. I myself have a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip handle.

If you get your permit(which I recommend) A good weapon for close quarters is a Taurus "Judge" , comes in different barrel sizes, will use a 45 slug or 410 shotgun shell. It is also a revolver ,so if you do not have experience with guns it may be to your advantage to get a revolver rather than an automatic which may jam. You can Google it and watch the video.

Brett

kevin said:
Ray I gotta disagree on that one, I would shoot to kill and here is my reason.

OK first off your gonna get sued If the survive they will sue you, if they die, someone in their family will sue you.
Now I feel like I could take it better if it aint the sorry ...you know what that was tryin to rob me, there for, shoot them, and anyone with them. ;D

So true. Read this story--watch the U-tube.

-Don- Reno, NV​

We aren't sure what we are going to do but if we cannot find any ammo, and the shelves are bare around here, I guess it doesn't make any sense to look at guns.  I ask the Wally World sporting goods manager when they might get some 45 ACP ammo and he said "we had some on Monday, three cases, and by noon it was all gone".  My DW suggested that we could, LOL, throw the gun at 'em if we can't find any ammo.

Makes me wonder why?

taoshum, you've mentioned looking at big box stores for ammo, and coming up empty. Even if ammo were in plentiful supply, I would not buy it at a large department store. It is likely to be old, stale, and cheaper brand. I don't want my safety to be dependent upon 2nd grade ammo. It is more likely to missfire or hangfire or fail to load in a .45. If the sound of a gun being fired is frightening, I'll tell you that a more terrifying sound when you are trying to fire any gun is a "click." Nothing quite like it.  :eek:

Try smaller, gun stores. Gotta be some good ones, there. If they don't have what you need, they will order it.

Also, you can buy ammo on line. I have never done that and don't know what hoops one has to jump through. But I have friends and associates who do it regularly. Google Handgun ammo.

I have no interest in any business, but would suggest for a .45 that you consider Federal Hydroshocks or Federal Personal Defense Ammo, (PDA). The PDA has slightly less powder and a slightly lower weight bullet. In .45, they are also affectionately known as "The Flying Dinner Plate." When they expand, they are huge! Last I knew, they had the highest "one shot stop" rate of any handgun ammo.

A second suggestion would be Glasser Safety Slugs, (in blue.) They fragment, when they hit soft tissue or a hard surface. They penetrate less, but still plenty, especially in .45 caliber. The benefit is a harder hit, when the bullet fragments in soft tissue and in the case of a miss, less likely to penetrate walls or even windows, with lethal force still in them. The downside is that this ammo is spendy enough to curl your hair!  :eek: Use something else for practice. (I do have Glaser Safety Ammo for our RV guns.)

An additional benefit to the smaller specialty store is that you may meet some skilled gunsmiths. Good to know when a gun misbehaves.  ::)

Let me know if I made a sale, here.  :D ;D

Ray D  ;D

I never leave without my Glock .40 cal.Unloaded.Can get it fast enough if needed.

Check with Cabela's for ammo too. Cabelas Most ammo has come back to normal supply except for .380 which is still hard to find but stocks are increasing. The good part about short supplies of ammo is that what is on the shelf is probably fresh. Also. make friends with the sporting goods clerks at Wally World. Maybe they'll let you know when a shipment comes in. Usually gets there at night but they can't sell until 7:00am. If you're not there, it'll be gone in a flash.

Be very wary of foreign made ammo. Try to buy American if you can.

Back
Top Bottom