Weather forecasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been telling the Mrs all week that we will see snow Sunday. Now, the Weather bureau is beginning to agree with me.

You can just Google "weather" wherever you are to get a good local forecast. Or, as already posted I think just about any of the cell phone weather apps do a pretty good job. I believe most of them, if not all, get their info from the National Weather Service anyway.

While traveling we like to use Drive Weather, the free version, giving us an idea of what's up ahead along our route/destination.

On another note, I used to be a boater. At The Small Boat Harbor in Buffalo, NY there was a phone outside the clubhouse with a sign "free" Lake Erie weather report. The only trouble was there was no cord to the handset. So I guess you picked up the phone, looked out over the lake, and said to yourself; Yep, looks like fair skies today.

I give the forecasts some consideration, but only 3 days out.
Anything beyond that is crystal ball territory.
Two days out max for the higher elevations such as Donnor Summit which I check very often, as I need to go over it to get to Auburn, which I will be doing in a few hours.

-Don- Reno, NV

Just don’t get et.
I couldn't figure what all that was about until I drove over Donnor Summit (very foggy up there today, hard to see much) today and thought about those who got eaten up down by Truckee Lake (later renamed as Donnor Lake).

The lake usually can be seen from the freeway just east of Donner Summit. But not today in the thickest fog I have ever seen up there.

Below is my 2017 Zero SR electric motorcycle by Donnor Lake (this one has three times the battery and range of the one I take on my RV trips--and more power & Torque).

This photo was taken a few years ago, from Donnor Pass Road, almost the opposite side of the lake from I-80 (right by that lake is where it all happened):

dbZeroSR.jpg

-Don- Auburn, CA

Put a rock outside your window. If it's white it's snowing, if wet it's raining, if dry it's clear, if gone it's a tornado.
Many tourist shops have had "weather rocks" for sale, complete with "instructions," but they're hanging from some support so that they can also tell you about strong winds. ;)

For day-to-day stuff, I use the cellphone apps weatherbug and weatherunderground. When they differ too much I check out NOAA Weather Free. I use Windy (cellphone app) for wind direction & speeds (locally and farther down the highway.

For tracking storms of all kinds (both when I'm stationary and when I'm traveling), I use Mike's Weather Page... powered by Firman Power Equipment! because if I know where and how the high/low pressure systems are moving, I can generally predict where the storms are moving to. And Mike has all the info in one spot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom