Weird Pipe Issue Cougar Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oregonnativekory

I am a fulltimer in a 2007 Keystone Cougar trailer with the polar package. I live in N. Central Washington with temperatures in the 12-32 F range. This is the first time I have lived a winter in my RV hooked up to water and sewer. I heat taped my water hose and standpipe, but I had my hot water line to my bathroom sink freeze. This is the only line I cannot prevent from freezing. I also think the pipe may be cracked due to sputtering when I get it to thaw out. I have looked in all the cupboards and cabinets where I can view water lines, looking for water and cannot find any. I also looked underneath the trailer for water and or ice to indicate a leak location. The "polar package" appears to be a corrugated plastic underbelly.

Any ideas on how to remedy the freezing pipe and why only that one is freezing? Also, what would be the best way to keep the underbelly warm without a full skirting. I didn't think skirting was necessary due to the underbelly plastic. Could I place a heater above the plastic underbelly?

Thank you for any advice you can lend!

First. Sputtering when it thaws is normal and does not indicate a cracked pipe.. Dang near impossible to crack PEX lines by freezing,  The elbows, and other adapters and fittings however are NOT Pex and you can easily crack those by freezing.  But Sputtering is normal, it's caused by bits of ice re-arranging themselves so that the water flow is alternatively blocked and free.

(Think about it for it to be sputtering due to a crack it would have to be on the suction side of the water pump)

On my rig it's the cold side that freezes first when ti gets cold.. No damage though since there is heat at both ends of the pipe where the fittings are.. It's only in the middle there is no heat. so that's where it froze, and thawed come morning.

Where does it freeze? if it's right under your sink. Can you leave the doors open to get some heat in there. The other thing you could do is let that line trickle during cold temperatures. It will drain your water heater and you'll have to start it back up in the AM tom have hot water. 
Skirting IMHO will help immensely. It will stop the wind from blowing under the rig. I would use something like the 2" foam you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's. You see signs on the highways stating that bridges freeze first and that's because the air is able to flow under the bridges as well as on top. You may be able to put a heater under the rig when the temperatures are really going to tumble.

Would something like that black foam pipe insulation help? Slip a piece onto the line that's freezing.

Are you using the RV furnace or an electric space heater?  Our trailer has ducting from the furnace to the underbelly to keep the pipes/tanks from freezing.  If we used a space heater then that area would not be warmed to prevent freezing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom