We're stuck on the road...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh one more thing.  The water heater stopped working on electric. Works fine on propane.

A little curiosity here..  You wrote that the heater worked well on propane but not electric.

Your recent fix stumps my logic a bit.

OP's post:  "Gary, Jim said ours doesn't recharge the chassis batteries.  We are hooked up to shore power now." 

With this statement, I believe the OP is incorrect.  Typically, on shore power, the converter WILL NOT charge the coach batteries, unless the DC system is connected to the coach batteries.  And will not charge the chassis battery either.  The converter should charge the coach batteries, if connected, and then auto connect the chassis battery to the coach battery if the coach batteries are > 12.8 VDC.  With the engine running, the chassis alternator will charge the coach batteries automatically if the alternator output is >13.3 VDC and disconnects the coach battteries from the chassis battery if voltage is less the 12 VDC. 

It seems as though the chassis battery is not charging OR there is another problem similar to the one I experienced on my Ford chassis.  The positive cable to my starter chafed through and would periodically short to ground, causing a partial or at times a complete loss of power.  I could not see this condition until I started shaking the cabling at night and saw sparks.  Since the OP stated that the condition changes based on the attitude of the coach - condition starts going uphill and goes away going downhill - my issue could be the OP's issue also.  Its worth checking it out.  It ruined my chassis battery.  Had to replace it in Matamoras, Pa on our way to Florida, 250 miles from home.  Hope this helps, JM2?...   

teddyu said:
OP's post:  "Gary, Jim said ours doesn't recharge the chassis batteries.  We are hooked up to shore power now." 

With this statement, I believe the OP is incorrect.  Typically, on shore power, the converter WILL NOT charge the coach batteries, unless the DC system is connected to the coach batteries.  And will not charge the chassis battery either.  The converter should charge the coach batteries, if connected, and then auto connect the chassis battery to the coach battery if the coach batteries are > 12.8 VDC.  With the engine running, the chassis alternator will charge the coach batteries automatically if the alternator output is >13.3 VDC and disconnects the coach battteries from the chassis battery if voltage is less the 12 VDC.

What you are describing is normally a function provided by the RV-CP/Intellitec BCC or an Intellitec BIRD system.  Neither system is standard equipment on a Monaco unless I'm mistaken.

Monaco used the BIRD at least as far back as our 1997 HR Endeavor.  I believe it's Winnebago that doesn't include it as standard.

Just Lou,

I knew what I described was a BIRD system.  I wasn't sure if the OP's DH would know what a BIRD system was, so I was trying to provide sufficient information to help him to attempt additional troubleshooting before tommorrow morning.  My number of posts are low in comparison to others, but I usually only post if I have something definitive to add to a thread.  Chewing cud can sour one's stomach and does not help solve the issue at hand.  JM2?...

carson said:
A little curiosity here..  You wrote that the heater worked well on propane but not electric.

Your recent fix stumps my logic a bit.

Sorry, I was wrong.  Jim said to me that it didn't work on electric.  I assumed it worked on propane as I was using hot water at the time but that had to be what was left in the lines.

JoAnn

Ned said:
Monaco used the BIRD at least as far back as our 1997 HR Endeavor.  I believe it's Winnebago that doesn't include it as standard.

Just because Monaco put that feature on the HR doesn't mean it was used on all Monaco coaches.  I've heard of many Monaco coaches not charging the chassis batteries from the converter, but maybe that was a circuit component failure and not the lack of a designed feature.

The OP stated specifically that their coach did not charge the chassis batteries from shore power (converter) and I took that to be a declaration of design and not supposition of a failure.

Sorry if I added confusion rather than decreasing it.

EDIT - Further Google searches indicate that many lower end Monaco coaches (especially the gas models) do not have the BIRD function (more specifically do not charge the chassis battery from the shore power/converter).

[quote author=teddyu]
Just Lou,

I knew what I described was a BIRD system.  I wasn't sure if the OP's DH would know what a BIRD system was, so I was trying to provide sufficient information to help him to attempt additional troubleshooting before tommorrow morning.[/quote]
...and it was my understanding that the OP's particular coach does not have the BIRD function, (since it was specifically stated that their chassis batteries did NOT charge from shore power) and furthermore, that it had no bearing on his problem of expecting charging from the alternator while underway.
My number of posts are low in comparison to others, but I usually only post if I have something definitive to add to a thread.  Chewing cud can sour one's stomach and does not help solve the issue at hand.  JM2?...
I'm not sure what precipitated this comment, but I find the personal inference rather offensive.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Besides, cud chewing can be mentally stimulating as well as physically relaxing. We all do it , now and again.  ;)

I even have a new excuse as the dentist told me to chew gum.  Albeit a particular one but I guess chewing is a now part of my life along with a few other things.

Before jumpering the good house batteries to the chassis system it should be determined that the original problem is not a bad chassis battery, battery cables chaffed to ground or other major electrical fault or you will just end up with more bad batteries.
A chassis battery with a shorted cell will quickly and dangerously bring the house battery down to the 10 volt level.
If this is the case the chassis battery positive cable must be lifted first.
Jumpering good chassis batteries to a battery cable that is shorted to the frame again can be dangerous. They have a huge short circuit amp capacity.

I didn't know, or maybe forgot that I knew, that it's called a BIRD  :-[ 

Monaco used the BIRD at least as far back as our 1997 HR Endeavor.

Might have been a carryover from a HR design?

On our 2003 Monaco Camelot, the chassis battery isn't charged by the converter, but both chassis and house banks are charged by the alternator while underway. In the latter case, the chassis battery takes precedence.

sounds like engine battery problem. I have a friend who had bad batteries and his allisson went into safe mode. new batteries took care of that

Scott-0168 said:
Just did a Google Search! There is a Workhorse service center about 25 miles east of your location!
Cummins Power Systems
4499 Lewis Rd.
Harrisburg, PA. 17111
Ph. 717-564-1344

Scott  :)

Turns out this place doesn't work on workhorse.  But, we found a place.  Thanks.

Your problem isn't particularly "Workhorse" related - just a general engine electrical problem. Most any competent & ethical shop ought to be able to diagnose and repair. Problem is, how do you know if a shop is competent when in an unfamiliar area?

Gary RV Roamer said:
Your problem isn't particularly "Workhorse" related - just a general engine electrical problem. Most any competent & ethical shop ought to be able to diagnose and repair. Problem is, how do you know if a shop is competent when in an unfamiliar area?

Gary, what other choice do they have? I'm trying to find a competent shop near my home here in Michigan! Since just buying a pre-owned Class A, I'm finding that shops that work on A's are few and far between.

Scott  :)

We have been helped in  the search for shops with CoachNet and also AAA.  We  had one bad experience in CT but that was because we had a Ford and the warranty work was done by a Ford truck shop.  Not the best but they did eventually find and fix the problem.  Glad it was on Ford's money though as we were there a week for a burned wire.

I hope the nitpicking snarky comments won't scare off the OP.  I want to know the outcome! 

Juicy Fruit is still my fav.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom