What are risks of buying 2002 Cummins that has only 31k miles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldedit

We're going to drive a 31' Cummins that has only about 31K miles. The body of the coach looks like it has been stored out doors.

What are the risks of buying such a unit even though the dealer is servicing the engine, which looks dirty for only 31k miles?

How would this engine do with ultra low sulfur diesel fuel? Would it have a turbo charger? If not, would that be an issue?

Should fuel filters or injectors be checked?

Questions you'd ask and what you'd have checked? What services would you make part of the deal?

Thanks.

Yes, a 2002 would have a turbo charger. It's probably a Cummins ISB, but maybe a Cat 3126?

Diesel engines like to be well-maintained - see if you can get any clues as to how well the former owner took care of it. Dirty doesn't sound promising...

When the dealer says he will service it, he probably just means an oil change & oil filter. It should also have a chassis lube, new fuel filters, new air filter, probably new coolant (I'm guessing its original) and new tranny fluid and filters too. In short, about $1000 worthof maintenance unless you can show it has had some of these things done in the last 2-3 years.

I would also take a close look at the tires - odds are a low mileage 2002 has the originals, which means they are on their last legs regardless of treadwear. Check the tire dates on the sidewalls of every tire - I'll bet they date from 2001 or 2002.

Gary has it pretty well covered. I would not hesitate to buy a diesel that has set several years. That engine is really not broke in yet. Some of our construction equipent diesels will set several years at a time and with  a little service and a new battery get out and work.

Two years back, I bought a 2000 Winnebago with a Cummins ISB that only had 28K miles on it. After a good service, I've put several thousand miles on it and it has been very good to me. Low mileage is not a bad thing but maintenance is very important.

Jerry

Could blow up like anything else buying used but a Good year for 5.9's if that is what it is.  (Could be 6.7)  If 5.9--- Clean fuel, clean air, clean oil and should go a long time.  Check wiring make sure mice haven't set up shop.  If so check wiring.

Known weakness (hey--all manufac have some)
Lift pump- weak, which leads to big exspensive stuff breaking.  So put in a FASS system in (fuel and water seperator) and egt gauge if not equipt and keep filters clean and no more problems.  If this is in a DP clean inside and out of radiator.  Run a biocide being it has been sitting so long, read about shock treatment on bottle.  Replace hoses and fluids. 
And you won't be the fastest out there no matter what you do but should give many years of life.
injectors be checked
If you have to do a smog test and it passes I wouldn't worry to much about them. They usually give a big clue when they do not work right. Like unspent fuel (a lot of black smoke out of tail pipe) But they are not cheap if you need them. As a matter of fact not much is cheap. 

Cummins did not make motor homes, only the engine and it is mounted on someone else's chassis. To be sure, this is a most important part to consider consider while shopping.  If properly maintained, these engines might outlive you.

That said, proper yearly  maintenance does not come cheap..... Path had some good indications on the weaknesses.

Probably a lot less of a risk then us buying an old 1992 American Eagle with 120k miles on it. Also we think it sat the last 5 years.

Getting ready, after doing a lot of work on it, most is cosmetic, some electrical and some mechanical, hey we hit it all!  Let you know later how it goes.

So good luck whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom