What do you think about this first year route?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yorick

Lord-willing, we start our full-timing in October of this year. Using RV Trip Planner, I mapped out our first year route. I'd love to get advice from others who have traveled in these areas. Tell me your concerns about the general area relative to the timeline. Any thoughts/concerns would be appreciated.

1690906269588.png

A few things I should have noted. We stay a week at a time in some places and 14 days in most places.

The first two months seems fast because it is. We must arrive in Galveston, TX by 1/20/2024 and can't start earlier than 11/1/2023. So, that first half is a bit fast with some long drives that requires a stop at a truck stop for an evening. The second half is much slower pace.

Way too ambitious. You should not plan a year in advance, too many things can change. For some reason new full timers think they can see the whole country in a year. Slow down and smell the roses. Full timing is not a race.

Spend more of the winter further south, December can be a dice roll in the south including Texas, but mid December at elevation in New Mexico is likely to be cold, to put this in perspective I got caught by an early season arctic blast in eastern Arizona in 2019 with overnight lows of 12F the last week of October, sure that is early, but you are looking at being in that region 6 weeks later than I was. Even Galveston can have freezing weather in late January / early February (Galveston is 160 mile drive from our house), though it rarely stays below freezing for more than a few hours, and rarely for more than 1 day in a week.

Much the same can be said about Dallas the last week of February, might be cold, though March 1st would be much safer for weather, most years the worst of winter were we live in western Louisiana occurs the last half of January and first 3 weeks of February, some years we see lows only reaching down to circa 28F in the overnight hours, average year will see a couple of 24 hour spans below freezing, but barely, perhaps every 5 years we will see overnight lows below 20F, and up to 48 hours in a row below freezing, record low here is 12F which we have hit twice in the last decade.

Your spring route through New Mexico and Arizona will be marked by many high-wind events.

Besides Galveston, do you any other hard dates or destinations? If not, I would suggest staying south longer and getting back later. From Galveston, you could either go further south (we very much enjoyed Port Aransas), or going further east (we really like Gulf State Park in Alabama.
Compared to a lot of ‘first big trip’ plans seen here, I don’t think yours is too ambitious. We generally like to stay 2-5 weeks at a time at any one place. (Since we both are still working full time, we can only explore an area evenings and weekends. Takes staying 2 weeks to have 1 weekend to explore.) But I DO think you’re risking cold weather in areas in your plan February to April.
And be flexible! If you see high wind or snow or any kind of crappy weather forecasted for an area you’re heading to, stay put or change course.

Going south on 93 through Ely in November. It's at 6,200 feet elevation. Expect cold temperatures at night. Rarely gets below 2F though. We've traveled from Grand Junction area to Reno through Ely, Nevada in November. Carry tire chains. You might just need to use them.

"November Weather in Ely Nevada, United States
Daily high temperatures decrease by 12°F, from 54°F to 42°F, rarely falling below 28°F or exceeding 66°F.

Daily low temperatures decrease by 8°F, from 26°F to 17°F, rarely falling below 2°F or exceeding 37°F.

For reference, on July 18, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Ely typically range from 50°F to 85°F, while on December 31, the coldest day of the year, they range from 12°F to 36°F."

On a side question, what are these stops you have marked in north Louisiana and across north Texas in February?

X2 on not rigidly planning ahead. When my father retired he bought a truck and 5th wheel and mapped out a 3 month trip around the country. If they fell behind he'd just skip a stop to keep on schedule. It almost ended in divorce. My mother wound up flying home a month ahead of time. I was between jobs and housesitting for them while they were gone.

Highway 6 between Ely and Tonopah it is a real lonely highway in Nevada. Much lonier than Highway 50. We've traveled it often. No gas for 168 miles. On 1 trip we saw one other car. So on our Ram 2500 4x4 Power Wagon towing I figure with November temperatures around 6.8 MPG and that's 24.7 gallons. Our low fuel light comes on then. With a 31 gallon tank I've pushed to 25.5 gallons and filled up. We carry 10 extra gallons.

Spend more of the winter further south, December can be a dice roll in the south including Texas, but mid December at elevation in New Mexico is likely to be cold, to put this in perspective I got caught by an early season arctic blast in eastern Arizona in 2019 with overnight lows of 12F the last week of October, sure that is early, but you are looking at being in that region 6 weeks later than I was. Even Galveston can have freezing weather in late January / early February (Galveston is 160 mile drive from our house), though it rarely stays below freezing for more than a few hours, and rarely for more than 1 day in a week.

Much the same can be said about Dallas the last week of February, might be cold, though March 1st would be much safer for weather, most years the worst of winter were we live in western Louisiana occurs the last half of January and first 3 weeks of February, some years we see lows only reaching down to circa 28F in the overnight hours, average year will see a couple of 24 hour spans below freezing, but barely, perhaps every 5 years we will see overnight lows below 20F, and up to 48 hours in a row below freezing, record low here is 12F which we have hit twice in the last decade.
Really helpful @Isaac-1 . Thanks!

Way too ambitious. You should not plan a year in advance, too many things can change. For some reason new full timers think they can see the whole country in a year. Slow down and smell the roses. Full timing is not a race.
Thanks @SeilerBird . I love the voice of reason. I am seriously considering dropping California from the trip completely then head to Galveston with 4 or 5 stops along the way allowing us then to stay for 2-3 weeks at each area before our target of 1/20/2024 in Galveston. We may just do California the second year.

X2 on not rigidly planning ahead. When my father retired he bought a truck and 5th wheel and mapped out a 3 month trip around the country. If they fell behind he'd just skip a stop to keep on schedule. It almost ended in divorce. My mother wound up flying home a month ahead of time. I was between jobs and housesitting for them while they were gone.
Yikes! Definitely don't want to end up divorced. :D
Cross country in 3 months is ambitious. We're just going to hit 5 states in 5 months but may actually drop California and make it 4 states in 5 months. Average stay is 10 days in each RV park (1 to 2 weeks each). What do you think, @Lou Schneider ?

Highway 6 between Ely and Tonopah it is a real lonely highway in Nevada. Much lonier than Highway 50. We've traveled it often. No gas for 168 miles. On 1 trip we saw one other car. So on our Ram 2500 4x4 Power Wagon towing I figure with November temperatures around 6.8 MPG and that's 24.7 gallons. Our low fuel light comes on then. With a 31 gallon tank I've pushed to 25.5 gallons and filled up. We carry 10 extra gallons.
Great point, @Western Slope . Will definitely take that into consideration. I actually drove that route northbound and saw what you are referring to as I picked up our rig and drove it from Southern California to park it on our property in Idaho. It was lonely! I made sure to fill up early and often as needed.
My truck got me about 9MPG pulling the 41-ft rig but with no passengers and still empty. I'm expecting 8.0 MPG when the family joins me. With 48 gallons, I plan to do no more than 250 miles without filling up.

As with everything else the colder it gets, the worse the MPG and range becomes. 9 to 10 MPG is what we get in ideal conditions towing our 25 footer (9,995 GVWR). I don't count on good gas mileage in colder temperatures. At below zero Fahrenheit it's pretty disappointing. Seen 5 MPG with headwinds out in Nevada. We've used our 4 wheel drive on Highway 50 near Eureka, Nevada coming back from Reno. With 35 inch 3PMSF tires I didn't realize how deep the snow was until I watched as they were digging and clearing out Eureka on the highway. We towed on through. Carry tire chains for both the truck and trailer. The truck has front and rear locking differentials. I've chained up while towing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom