What do you think about this first year route?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since buying our coach in 2016 we have tried 3 times taking a short January or February trip to either the Texas hill country, or other parts of east / north east Texas, and even though these years have seen nice weather in these months each time we have been forced to cancel at the last moment due to a strong cold front coming in that would have kept either kept the temperatures below freezing for 2-3 days or would have been associated with freezing rain, etc. Having said that my wife still works full time so we can't often take spur of the moment trips, as she needs at least a couple of weeks of notice to arrange her schedule for anything longer than a weekend trip, and at least a month of notice for any week plus length trip. Maybe it is just bad timing on our part, as a week earlier or a week later and the weather would have been, we just picked the wrong weeks, I say this to encourage you to keep your schedule flexible and be aware the weather forecast this time of year is typically only accurate going out 5-7 days.

I don't think your route is too ambitious, but I do think you need to check average temperatures in every place you plan to stay. This is based on two of the coldest places I have ever stayed at being Death Valley and Las Vegas. And, New Mexico can be really cold in the northern or even central areas. I use this site to check temps: Climate United States - Monthly Averages

If you are full timing, why the rush. I know a year sounds like a long time in the future, but you've got the rest of your life. You might land in a specific area and really decide to stay, and stay, and stay. If you make plans too far out then you'll feel committed to move on, when your heart really wants to stay put a while longer.

I'm currently spending 2 months in North Carolina, same campsite, and we absolutely cannot get enough of our location. We're committed to leaving on August 31, I would love to stay longer! But we've got to leave.

One of the advantages of Full Timing is the ability to make decisions and changes on a whim. Don't cast anything in stone. Your plans will change as time moves on.

We did a winter trip in 2021/22. Left Las Vegas in December and headed south to Usery Mountain State Park near Phoenix then Bosque Del Apache New Mexico to see the snow geese and sandhill cranes (it was very cold during the night/early morning but worth it). We then went to Tularosa then Carlsbad Caverns New Mexico and the on to Big Bend NP Texas. We then headed back to Arizona where we spent a few months before heading home. It was mostly pleasant weather with a few windy days.

I'd leave more time for California if I were you.

As with everything else the colder it gets, the worse the MPG and range becomes. 9 to 10 MPG is what we get in ideal conditions towing our 25 footer (9,995 GVWR). I don't count on good gas mileage in colder temperatures. At below zero Fahrenheit it's pretty disappointing. Seen 5 MPG with headwinds out in Nevada. We've used our 4 wheel drive on Highway 50 near Eureka, Nevada coming back from Reno. With 35 inch 3PMSF tires I didn't realize how deep the snow was until I watched as they were digging and clearing out Eureka on the highway. We towed on through. Carry tire chains for both the truck and trailer. The truck has front and rear locking differentials. I've chained up while towing.
Thanks, @Western Slope ! This is really useful. I was not aware of the drop of gas mileage in colder temperatures. I will take that into account and also update my calculations when we get there. At the moment, I'm getting 8.5MPG on average but expect that to drop to 7.5MPG towing the rig once we are fully loaded.

After considering the feedback, I modified the route to shorten the distances and increase the amount of time in many places. It's still fast 2.5 months until we get to Galveston. But the second half is then 5.5 months.

1692807941407.png

That trip is looking a lot better IMO. Having gone so far east you might consider a few more miles and at least hit Pensacola/Destin. Don't tell your kids that you are 12 hours-ish to Disneyworld or you will have a mutiny - LOL...

And I am probably ignorant but 3 months to get to Mississippi would put me in a coma. I've done that trip like 8 times and never took more than a month. I am not sure there are 3 months worth of things to see.

If it were me, and it isn't. I would do R66 from Ca to St Louis, then head south to Destin, hitting Tennessee - Dollywood, Nashville etc. - Then figure 8 back to Mississippi, then north to pick up the route.

I still think you need to adjust your pace some, and probably try to expedite some sections of the trip, for example there is not likely to be much to see and do between Tuscon and Galveston in mid December. You seem to show a stop around Las Cruces, NM, maybe White Sands, NP, but still I have to wonder what you plan to do to take a month to get to Galveston, on what conventionally would be a circa 4-5 day drive. My suggestion here is expedite your crossing of New Mexico and west Texas in December, unless we have an unusually warm December, and probably try to get down closer to the Texas gulf coast where it will be warmer than west Texas.

note there are a few potential sites to see on route, perhaps go to Fredericksburg (about 85 miles north north west of San Antonio for their Christmas festival, etc.). Maybe stop and tour the caverns of Sonora if you are into the cave thing, as it is warm year round and under 10 miles off I-10.

I wouldn't get too hung up on sticking to a long-term plan. I mean, you can start out with that plan, but, things are going to happen, and you'll hear of events that you didn't think of that sound really cool, and you need to be willing to change the plan to suit the moment.

But then, that's just my opinion. we've always been "Spur of the Moment" sort of folks.

Really, really good points @Ex-Calif and @Isaac-1 regarding not much to see on the southern route through AZ, NM, and West TX. Would love to hear your thoughts on the reasoning for it.

1. A 5th wheel is harder to setup and tear down than a MH.

2. I work full-time while on the road and the kids do school. So, much of our time is filled up with those duties leaving us only a day or two each week to go sightseeing and galivanting.

3. We actually want to get to experience local culture (church on Sunday, eat at the local eatery, shop at the local thrift stores, etc...) The idea is for my wife and kids who are arriving from the Philippines to get a sense of different areas of the US.

We really only stay in two places after we leave Southern California during that route:
  • 6 days in Yuma, AZ
  • 14 days in Truth Or Consequences, NM (This is the one I think we'll get really bored at.)
Then we get to Van Ormy, TX which is just outside San Antonio.

What do you think?

1692902469827.png

Why the long stop in Truth or Consequences, NM? A quick google search shows the town is at 4,245 ft above sea level, and the average December highs are 56F with average lows of 27F? Not exactly what I would call prime camping weather, and MUCH cooler than Tuscon which has December highs and lows right at 10F warmer.

One alternative you might consider is stopping at the Pecos West rest area on I-10 instead of the Fort Stockton Wal-Mart, this is a large fairly new rest area on I-10 located about 15 miles west of Fort Stockton, has parking for 50 or so 18 wheelers, nice level concrete, though of course you have truck noises. Note the Fort Stockton Walmart parking lot is not all that big, or level, it is also perhaps the smallest Walmart Supercenter I have ever seen. You might also check prices for RV parks in Fort Stockton, there may be some deals, several new RV parks have been built there the last few years with the oil boom, which seems to be an oil bust again, as most of the drilling seems to have moved about 75 miles to the north. (google shows some start at $25 per night) We usually stay at Fort Stockton RV park on KOA road (former KOA location), not to be confused with the other local park with very similar name.

p.s. the thing that always amazes me about Fort Stockton is for a town with so many motels, gas stations and RV parks, I have yet to find any good place to eat there.

I guess if you are working and the kids are home schooling during the weeks and you are traveling/sightseeing on the weekends puts the travel plan into perspectuive.

I like Caballo SP but I’d spend less time there and more time in Tucson at that time of year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom