What years of diesel pickups got the best fuel mileage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jje1960 said:
I challenged my lie-o-meter with the low-tech pencil/paper recently... errrr sorry, was same as lie-o-meter....

I can't tell be your profile what vehicle you have, but my question went out to BronekR as I know he has a 2005 Cummins.  I also feel reasonable sure that a Dodge isn't giving an accurate accounting, as I know mine is off by about 5 MPG. Also all you need do is go to any Cummins forum and search overhead display mileage and you will see what I mean. Maybe other manufacturers are accurate, but not Dodge. 

powderman said:
I can't tell be your profile what vehicle you have, but my question went out to BronekR as I know he has a 2005 Cummins.  I also feel reasonable sure that a Dodge isn't giving an accurate accounting, as I know mine is off by about 5 MPG. Also all you need do is go to any Cummins forum and search overhead display mileage and you will see what I mean. Maybe other manufacturers are accurate, but not Dodge.

My overhead shows better fuel mileage by 3/10's of a mpg.  Tuners and chips will really mess with the overhead console.

I have an 02 Ford F250 4X4 Super Crew Cab 7.3 Litre, auto,3:73 gears. Empty I get 17.5 Hwy on long trips. City I don't really know....never checked it.  All around mixed city and hwy driving, I get about 15.5. When I hooked up to my Keystone 32' fifth wheel weighing about 7700 lbs empty, I would get between 11 and 12.5, depending on speed and hills. My dad and I took a trip once and I got 13.2 in the flats while taking it easy just running 55 mph. I just sold that camper and bought a 2010 Keystone Laredo 36' fifth wheel that weighs right at 10,000 lbs. I haven't used it on a camping trip yet, but on the way home from picking it up, I checked it and got between 10 and 11 mpg. On that trip home with it there were a lot of hills and I ran 65-70 mph because it was long trip(450 miles) and I desperately wanted to get home with it.I believe I could have got 12 to 12.5 mpg if I had kept my speed to around 60 mph. I am an old 12 valve Cummins lover(89-96), but I also really like my late 7.3. I'll have to say it runs a close second to the old 5.9 for reliabilty and fuel mileage. The new ones run like mad, but nothing is more reliable than the older ones due to their simplicity. Anyway, I hope that helps with the original poster seeking info on diesel truck fuel mileage

"I think you are watching the Lie-o-meter on the overhead." You are right to a point. My overhead meter is generous by 1.1 MPG... those figures are calculated by hand.

Stock truck, synthetic oil everywhere. Michelin sneakers fully inflated....

My friend and I both have 06 Chevys.  Pulling my 35' Montana 5er I get 11.5 to 12 mpg.  Without I get 18-19mpg.  His mileage is better due in part to the fact he put 17"tires/rims on instead of my 16".  Chevy 05, 06, 07 seem better as they have fewer injector problems and less pollution emission equipment so have somewhat better mileage and maybe less maintenance.  The towing power is unbelievable.

Guess I'll chime in with my mileage experiences:

2003 7.3 diesel Excursion 2wd 
    Empty: ~17 mpg 
    10000# Travel trailer: ~9 mpg

2008 6.4 diesel F250 crew cab short bed 4x4
    Empty: ~14 mpg 
    10000# Travel trailer: ~11 mpg

2002 7.3 diesel F350 crew cab long bed 4x4
    Empty: ~14 mpg 
    10000# Travel trailer: ~12 mpg

These are of course rough averages. 

First 1/2 tank of fuel on my new rig has held btween 17.4 and 18.3 empty...Gotta get 500 miles on her so I can hook up and tow.
Liking the new truck thus far....lol
Still can't believe I bought it... ;D

The SRW is providing you a bit better mileage, at about 7600k miles, I still inching my way to breaking that 18mpg mark.  Wait until you hook it up... your going to really appreciate your purchase.. we sure love ours.

Back
Top Bottom