Whats a good fuel efficient motor home under 10K?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
MPG is probably close to the Toyota at similar speeds, since they both have roughly the same weight and frontal area.  The difference is the Revcon has much more power and can hit close to 100 MPH - the later version with the 454 Chevy engine set the motorhome land speed record at Bonneville in the early 1970s.
Thanks, Will look into them

I'd dispute that early 454 and good mileage should ever appear in the same sentence. Even a pick up with a carburetor on a 454 did well to get six mpg.

Ernie

jmar896 said:
Just keeping you guys updated tomorrow im going to look at an areo cruiser 23Ft, and on Sat. I will be going to look at a Toyota Dolphin, both in my price range and what i need for it, i dont need the newest features and everything and im honestly not that picky so chances are ill pick one of those. If i do ill let you know. Thanks MoeBelly for the toyota suggestion, I didnt see them before since there is very few here around me (New England).
Thanks

Word of advice on the Toyota Dolphin.  Some of the sixes on Toyotas in the late '80s and early '90s had problems with sludge accumulation in the oil pan which in time led to catastrophic engine failure.  I would only consider if the engine had been rebuilt by a reputable shop and you could verify this.  The four cylinder 22R was a champ that ran forever but really-underpowered for an RV.  Make sure transmission and rear end have been serviced as well.

Good luck!

FreddyS said:
Some of the sixes on Toyotas in the late '80s and early '90s had problems with sludge accumulation in the oil pan which in time led to catastrophic engine failure.

Some light and unverified research indicates that some of the issues were Toyota vehicles equipped with 1MZ V-6 and 5SFE inline-4 engines produced between July 1996 and July 2001. It is not a secret but apparently the root cause continues to be debated.

The early Toyota chassis (1977-1986) were delivered with single tire rear axles which motorhome manufacturers converted to duals to support the weight of the motorhome body, grossly overloading the rear axle in the process. 

This lead to catastrophic axle failures and federal safety recalls to replace the rear axles with the correct ones.  This should have been done to all of the affected vehicles by now, but occasionally you'll hear of one that has slipped through the cracks.

You can read about the problem here:  http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf

I own a 1977 GMC with a 454. I get between 8 and 10 mpg depending on weather I am towing or not.......and to be honest the 8 may not be when towing. and the 10mpg may not be when running just the MH. and I am only towing a 1400lb 1976 austin mini on a trailer. so really of no real consequence.

I really like the toyota dolphin's and looked at those before get the GMC. Happy with my choice. I have the 26 foot version they came in a 23 foot as well. been in both and really the little 23 footer is laid out well and felt almost as big as my 26.

I did pay les then 10 for mine but have been spending on it since we got it. redoing the interior. should have that finished this winter and then work on saving for the paint job.

well! i think probably want to get something made in the 80's through 90's built on a toyota p/u frame.  My dad had an old Chinook built on a 79 toyota frame, put over 150,000 miles on it and it probably got around 14MPG.

I first bought an old (1985) Ford high top camper van. Spent under $4,000 buying it and making necessary repairs to make it reliable.  For three years we used it for camping, antique shows, music fests, etc.  Had a lot of fun with it and it gave us a good idea of what we wanted for our permanent RV.  Knowing exactly what you want when shopping for the big one can save you a lot of time and money.  We now have a C that's perfect for us but I still miss that old van and the fun we had with it.

These and many other models are under 10,000 and get extremely good fuel economy. http://www.fulltimeroadwarriors.com/2011/06/pedal-powered-trike-camper-and-bicyle.html

Attachments

• bicycle-camper.jpg
    bicycle-camper.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 36
  • BICYCLE TOW CAMPER.jpg
    BICYCLE TOW CAMPER.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 41
I know this is not the "for sale" forum, but...I have a 25 ft. Class C '95 Chateau that I completely remodeled inside and out. Custom built wood cabinet doors, new floor, new furniture, etc. with a Chevy van chassis and a 454 engine (46K miles), new tires, etc.  I'm moving up to a fifth wheel because I just retired and we're going to be doing a lot more long term rv-ing.  My price when I sell it this spring, will be around 10 or 11K.  Just want to get back a little of my investment.  So....they are out there.  Just make sure you check 'em out carefully for water damage and such.  Mileage wise, you likely will have trouble finding someone who can honestly tell you they get much more than around 10 mpg for a rig like this.  Good luck.

meternerd said:
My price when I sell it this spring, will be around 10 or 11K.  Just want to get back a little of my investment. 
Good luck. RVs are not an investment and no one cares how much money you have put into your RV. You would be lucky to get $5k for a 20 year old 25 foot class C.

SeilerBird said:
Good luck. RVs are not an investment and no one cares how much money you have put into your RV. You would be lucky to get $5k for a 20 year old 25 foot class C.

Thanks for the encouragement!  Guess you won't be interested, huh!

I am just trying to be realistic. NADA would be about $2k for that rig. I would not be interested since I am in a 32 footer and that is too short for only one person.

SeilerBird said:
meternerd said:
Thanks for the encouragement!  Guess you won't be interested, huh!
Like the $5,000 hooker who replied when asked if she didn't think she charged too much, "It only takes one customer."  :)  I'm in a similar position and trying to decide if I let my '99 Coachmen class C rot down around itself or sell it for much less than it is worth TO ME.

SeilerBird said:

Not bragging, just saying don't believe everything you hear.  Just sold mine today (95 Fourwinds Chateau) for $11K, and I had a "bidding war" on Craigs List ...listed it at $9900 and got several offers above that.  RV's are worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay.  List it at whatever you think it's worth.

Must have been in great shape with low miles. 
Older C's in the 80s and 90s around here are usually on Craig's list for months.  Best time to sell them is probably early spring and a month before hunting season.

Linen said:
well! i think probably want to get something made in the 80's through 90's built on a toyota p/u frame.  My dad had an old Chinook built on a 79 toyota frame, put over 150,000 miles on it and it probably got around 14MPG.
Is Linen Moebelly's brother, alter ego, pseudonym or just plain taking the Michael? Who on 30th January also posted in this thread:
"Ignore these guys.  You probably want to get something made in the 80's through 90's built on a toyota p/u frame.  My dad had an old Chinook built on a 79 toyota frame, put over 150,000 miles on it and it probably got around 14MPG.  Be aware that these MH's do not have a lot of power (slow crawl uphills)."
Yours Confused!!

meternerd said:
RV's are worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay.  List it at whatever you think it's worth.

That right there is EXACTLY right. Book values are often worthless opinions, even if they are based on past sale prices. Book values are increasingly worth less at the bottom market prices.

If the RV in question was sitting in a yard in snow country (it is winter as we discuss this), then it'd be worth less than in central Florida in winter. Supply/demand.

Somebody asked about a Toyota MH.  Here's one that was advertised on Craigslist today......

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/rvs/4320089936.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldlawnman
Back
Top Bottom