What's in a name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, Lawrence M., it's nice to know who Lippy really is!

ArdraF

I did not realize that many of you prefer a real name to a made up screen name.

I have used my screen name for many years on different Forums.  In part because I am proud of my history of flying Huey Helicopters for two tours in Viet Nam as a kid. (well it seems like I was a kid back them from today's perspective)

I went down eight times for several different reasons during those tours.  I have several stories posted online in another Forum where I am a moderator.

Anyway. this is not an excuse for not using my name in my screen name but just an explanation.

I added my actual name to my signature at the bottom.

Oh yes and my stories get better every time I tell them.

Bill, my point was using just a screen name makes one anonymous and difficult for me to identify with.  Putting your real name in your signature now makes you a real person to me :)  Thank you.

Ned said:
Bill, my point was using just a screen name makes one anonymous and difficult for me to identify with.  Putting your real name in your signature now makes you a real person to me :)  Thank you.

Hopefully more members will follow suit.

I guess I need to change my screen name  ???

It's really Tomj, but I have a tough time remembering/spelling any names with more than 3 letters  :-[

I am one of those people who are not very good with computers and when I joined the forum I was scared to put my real name out there. Now since I have been here a while I can see how foolish that might have been I am considering changing it.

FWIW ... in the early days of our forum, when we were hosted by Compuserve, real names were required. When CS initially opened a window to/from the internet, folks were really concerned about having their real name exposed to the world; The rule was relaxed to something like 'one (real) name and an initial is OK'.

Ned said:
But what about those of us, who are holograms, rather than real people?

Tourmaster said:
I am one of those people who are not very good with computers and when I joined the forum I was scared to put my real name out there. Now since I have been here a while I can see how foolish that might have been I am considering changing it.

While this may be "the friendliest place on the web", as typical forums go, not all who view / lurk are nice people.
There are plenty of arses out there who would be more than happy to know your real name and when you are away from your stick n brick...
For those of us with unusual and easily traceable names, I don't feel this is such a good idea. I'll gladly share information with the fine folks here privately, but I'm not blasting my name  out there on the web.

BinaryBob said:
I'll gladly share information with the fine folks here, but I'm not blasting my name  out there on the web.

Bob is such a unique name too.  I'm sure with a little searching I can find your address with just that information :(

Rene T said:
And mine is pronounced Rainy. Like a rainy day.

My apologies to Rene, I have been writing it as Ren? recently, (pronounced Renay) as we do here in Quebec and New Brunswick.

(I'll bet that was the original way it was spelled if and when your family arrived in NH either from QC or NB many years ago!! Lots of originally French names in Vermont, NH, and Mass although the pronunciation has very often changed....)

Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
30 years on the road
This gave me a start.  My dad was Christened Carleton Waugh. His mom always called him "Bud," but his dad always called him "Bill."  I don't know why.  It was Bill that stuck, and all of his friends called him Bill. Anyway, when I saw "Bill Waugh," in your signature, I did a double take. Thanks for sharing.
Tom Waugh
P.S. I was given the nickname Punomatic years ago by a friend, because I am infuriatingly addicted to word play.

Punomatic said:
This gave me a start.  My dad was Christened Carleton Waugh. His mom always called him "Bud," but his dad always called him "Bill."  I don't know why.  It was Bill that stuck, and all of his friends called him Bill. Anyway, when I saw "Bill Waugh," in your signature, I did a double take. Thanks for sharing.
Tom Waugh
P.S. I was given the nickname Punomatic years ago by a friend, because I am infuriatingly addicted to word play.
Funny.  I had an aunt named Mary Ruth.  Somehow she got the nickname "Bill" when she was a kid and it stuck.  I knew her for most of my childhood days as "Aunt Bill".

Alfa38User said:
My apologies to Rene, I have been writing it as Ren? recently, (pronounced Renay) as we do here in Quebec and New Brunswick.

(I'll bet that was the original way it was spelled if and when your family arrived in NH either from QC or NB many years ago!! Lots of originally French names in Vermont, NH, and Mass although the pronunciation has very often changed....)

Stu, I've often wondered how on a PC you were able to put on the "Accent Et GU" on the last letter of my name. Growing up, I always used it but that went away some 50 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom