What's in a name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BinaryBob said:
For those of us with unusual and easily traceable names, I don't feel this is such a good idea. I'll gladly share information with the fine folks here privately, but I'm not blasting my name  out there on the web.
And I always thought your name was Bob Days, of Days Inn ;)

Rene T said:
Stu, I've often wondered how on a PC you were able to put on the "Accent Et GU" on the last letter of my name. Growing up, I always used it but that went away some 50 years ago.

Ren?,

I am no expert and very seldom write in French any more but.... To get the accents, the way I do it with a standard English full sized keyboard, that is, one with a number pad, is like this: All the accented letters are ascii characters starting with 129-140 and 147.  In order to type an "? " you hold down the Alt key and type 130 on the number pad... ? ...et voil?. I keep a list of the most used accented letters I need stuck to my computer monitor.

degrees C or F = alt + 167 = ?F        alt + 147 = ?      Try it, you'll like it!! :)

(It will not work using 0-9 number keys across the top, you need the number keypad found on the right of most keyboards!!!)

That's cool Stu. Thanks. I use to always spell out degrees now I won't have to. Now if I can only remember how to do it when it comes time. Do you know if there is a place where I can get a list of those things?

Ren?  ;D ;) :D

PS: Never mind. I found a list. http://www.asciitable.com/

I use the Windows Character Map program.  It's in all versions of Windows.  You can select the desired character and copy it to the clipboard, or use the keycodes shown on the table for the selected character.

Attachments

• CharMap.PNG
    CharMap.PNG
    31.7 KB · Views: 21
Ned said:
I use the Windows Character Map program.  It's in all versions of Windows.  You can select the desired character and copy it to the clipboard, or use the keycodes shown on the table for the selected character.
Who remembers the days of drawing squares and stuff with Extended ASCII characters?

ASCII art was often very good, but you need to use a fixed pitch font.  Scroll down in the character map and you'll find all those extended characters are still there.

r3 alt c0des;  have been using this chart  for years ---easy to read and uncomplicated.  Printed out several pages for instant access, if handy.

Check this out >>>>  http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html

Molaker said:
Who remembers the days of drawing squares and stuff with Extended ASCII characters?

I do!!! But at one point we had a neat software program that helped us in building specific forms etc using all those characters. Saved a lot of time and made an easy job of it. Did a lot of electrical diagrams with another neat piece of software, all this before Windows came around.

Ned said:
Mac has the same type of thing on the upper right, near the speaker icon. Very handy.

(It will not work using 0-9 number keys across the top, you need the number keypad found on the right of most keyboards!!!)
[/quote]

If you don't have a keyboard on the right but only on the top. How do you use this feature?

Usually there's an embedded numeric keypad on the UIO-JKL-M keys. Those along with the 789 keys approximate the layout of a calculator keypad.  There may be additional embedded keys for the /*+- operators.

Look for a NumLock (NumberLock) key you can press to activate and de-activate the embedded pad

Lou
That is very interesting. Thanks for the tip. However I cannot find a Numlock key. When I used to work all those computers had them but apparently not this one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom