Where to stay in Pa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roditsk

Hi. We're new to RVing, from NE Pennsylvania.  Looking for recommendations for interesting places to stay in Pennsylvania for 4 kids to enjoy. 

There's a great KOA near Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA. It's called Twin Grove KOA, or sometimes is called Pine Grove. We don't normally do a lot of KOA's, but this one is cool. They've got nice sites, a pool with a small water slide and water 'mushroom', a big store/full restaurant, ice cream shoppe, and a small amusement park with an arcade, ferris wheel, carousel, bumper boats, etc. They have a great fireworks show on the 4th of July, with a band and everything. I was told that Halloween was a big thing there with trick-or-treating, etc. They have a small "train" that the kids can get rides in to/from their sites and to the amusement park. You're only about 30-40 min. drive away from Hersheypark, and there is a lot of stuff to see in Harrisburg, like museums, etc. And, you can get to Amish country in about an hour and a half. Just down the road from the campground there is access to a nice bike/jogging path. Our son loves "Roadside Americana" (I think it's called something like that), it's a small place that has a HUGE train layout inside. It's cheap and there are many different types of trains running with some parts that the kids can make work. You're also not far from Strasburg and their steam railroad there, they even have a Thomas the Tank Engine pull the train a couple of times a year. There's a nice real train museum across the street there. There is a Cabela's in Hamburg, PA that is no more than an hour away. We've gone and spent part of the day there looking at the aquariums and all the animals, and shopping. We love going to this KOA, our kids are 11 and 13 and we've made about 4 trips up there. It's all gated going into the campground, so we felt safe in letting the kids go on their bikes with a cell phone to check out the amusement park and ride the rides. We just bought a string of tickets and let them go, and us old folk's got to relax in the shade with a big glass of lemonade and our newspapers/magazines! Good luck, and have fun!

LuAnn

There is a nice Forest Service park near Kane, PA called Twin Lakes. Has a lake and nice beach (day use as well as campground) and plenty of room for the kids to run around. Not much else in the area as afar as entertainment - this is a place for camping fun, not video games and movies (unless you bring the DVD player).

What is interesting to you and your family.  There are many "intersting" places to camp PA and if you would help me understand what interests you I can narrow the choices.

Thanks,

Bill T

Cook's Forest used to be pretty nice but I haven't been there for a long time.  It also might be easy for you to get to.

ArdraF

Also, Knoebel's Amusement Park in central PA is supposed to be a very nice amusement park, and they have a campground right there. I have heard nothing but good about this place and we plan to check it out ourselves. It might be another option for you! Bill is right, though--it might help to give your kids' ages and a little bit about what you all like. What part of NE PA are you from? My husband and I grew up in NW PA, and I went to college in the Wilkesbarre-Scranton area.

LuAnn

In south central Pennsylvania there are several areas for kids. Hershey Park, which will be closed for the winter months is naturally a good place and you could stay at High Meadows campground, owned by Hershey Entertainment and has a shuttle to the park. Gettysburg is a good place also if the kids are old enough for the historical battlefields tours, and there are several campgrounds.

Probably the best location is Lancaster's Old Mill Stream Campground. Been years since we stayed there, but it is close to many attractions. Dutch Wonderland, owned by Hershey Entertainment, is very popular, but probably closing about now for the winter months. Places to visit in the fall of the year and in close driving distance from the campground are Strasburg Railroad Museum, the Miniature Railroad in Strasburg, Lancaster Outlets, Amish Country attractions and food, Diener's Buffet on route 30, theater entertainment, antiques on the Oregon Pike around Reamstown, farmers markets in Lancaster and Roots outside of Manheim, Hershey's Chocolate World (about 30 miles), Masonic Village (about 25 miles, largest one in USA), and stop by the tourist information center on route 30 for additional information.

Freindship park in Everett PA and Jellystone park in Williamsport MD are great places for kids too.  If your new, rvparkreviews is an excellent site for campground info.
Where in NE PA are you from, I grew up there myself...
Enjoy!

Thanks for all of your help!  We are from NE Pa, and were highly considering Hershey Highmeadow campground as our first "trip", but have been reading negative reviews about the noise from the trains!  Any insights?  Thanks! :)

roditsk said:
Thanks for all of your help!  We are from NE Pa, and were highly considering Hershey Highmeadow campground as our first "trip", but have been reading negative reviews about the noise from the trains!  Any insights?  Thanks! :)

As long as you are in the front section, the train noise is not a problem. Many of the spaces in the back and the higher tent areas are closer to the tracks. Ask for spaces 211 through 237. Hershey park will be closed soon for the winter months. If you are traveling down I-81 or I-78, exit I-81 onto route 39, then right on Hershey Park Drive. Campground on right side.

Keep us posted on your first trip.

try mount pocono campground, tell them kevin, judy and dan (the nascar fans) sent you, they will either throw you out or give you a heck of a nice spot! the owners are super!

they have a nice size pool and game room and it is close to many attractions like the delaware water gap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom