Which Truck for the 5th wheel RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, you don't need it.  I have similar choices but went with SRW, the DRW is rougher and difficult to find where to park in the cities. MHO

Man, those are inexpensive...a RAM 3500 dually wit the diesel (without full options) is between 85 and 95,000...you put a jake on and beef up the brakes and you are over 100K before tax...

grassy said:
Man, those are inexpensive...a RAM 3500 dually wit the diesel (without full options) is between 85 and 95,000...you put a jake on and beef up the brakes and you are over 100K before tax...

One of the few reason I'm holding on to my 2002 Dodge Ram and beefed up all the weakness and upgraded along the way. Nice part is I'm at the same power level as the new ones but without the smog and huge price tag.  ;) 8)

.a RAM 3500 dually wit the diesel (without full options) is between 85 and 95,000...

Don't know where you are shopping, but I just configured (online via Ram website) a nice Ram 3500 Laramie crew cab diesel for $57,235. Then checked local ads and found several similar trucks in the $56k-$65k range, and that's an asking price, before any dealing.

When i upgraded to our 3500HD i took the Firestone airbags off my 2500HD set around 60lbs loaded to thr dually and now i have to let air out loaded. The bags are at 5lbs empty so when i load it sits too high so i drop the pressure back to 5lbs. The answer to your question is no.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Don't know where you are shopping, but I just configured (online via Ram website) a nice Ram 3500 Laramie crew cab diesel for $57,235. Then checked local ads and found several similar trucks in the $56k-$65k range, and that's an asking price, before any dealing.

I suspect Grassy was quoting Canadian prices in Canadian Dollars.... just a SWAG though...

I just purchased a Ford F350 Single Rear Wheel Power Stroke Lariat Super Cab with 6 1/2 foot bed.  The filer from Ford said that the cargo weight was 4190Lbs and I had them put in the deal the cargo weight according the yellow door sticker had to be over 3600 lbs or I could refuse delivery of the truck.  Well, the sticker said 3744 lbs cargo and I'm now the proud owner of thew F350 Super Duty.  The reason did that was my Chevy HD2500 LTZ with diesel according the website said 3150 and when I took delivery the yellow door stick said 2475lbs.  Learn my lesson to not believe the publish specs and go with what on the yellow door sticker.
I have a 315 Res with dry weight of 9950 and dry pin weight of 1995 lbs and I put the basic items that stay in my RV year around with most of going in the kitchen that was over the rear wheels and it increased the weight by 1,200 lbs over dry weight.  Brought to the scales and the pin weight jumped to almost 2900 and the rear axle weight was 5980 lbs on 6200 lbs rated axle that's before I put the rest of my camping gear in the RV.
Guess what I trying to say is don't put bunch of faith in the publish specs of the RV or the Truck!!

Moparman,
You and I think alike. I just added a BD transmission, bilet torque convertor, BD turbo, BD exhaust brake, AFE ram air intake on my 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 with 160,000 K miles.  I expect to get 1Mk on this rig.  And no smog etc.......  It just keeps on purrrrring.  I am towing a 10,000 lb brand new Open Range LT 282 RK.  It is all aluminum, but is 36 feet.  It can challenge you if you try to pull too fast or get crazy. 

1. Are lifted trucks a problem to use to haul a 5th wheel ?

2. I found this page with pictures of the hitch buddy. Anybody else who owns it can give a thumbs up to use it and reclaim the bed space.  Know where to buy it?

https://www.heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/1706-Hitch-Buddy-Tow-Dolly

I see a couple issues here sammy
1st the lifted truck - if you have a lifted truck the center of gravity is higher - then you have to lift the trailer which also makes the center of gravity higher which aint so smart on a 15000 lb trailer

2nd that trailer buddy posses two issues 1 the backing up
But most importantly
The bumper trailer towing capacity is always less than the 5th wheel towing capacity

I just seen one in person the other day about 2007 Dodge 2500 pull into a Chevron Station pulling a 5th wheel. He was jacked up with 35 inch tires. The offset from front to rear was very obvious and the rear bumper nearly dragged the driveway as he pulled in. The front axle of the tandem look like there wasn't much weight on the front axle at all. Scary how people hitch up anything without considerations of properly towing a trailer.  ::)

Even my truck with factory size (31" tires) tires and factory height is too tall and requires a heck of a drop hitch to get the trailer hitched up level.

grassy said:

Hardly, true.  I just purchased a 2015 fully loaded Ram Big Horn dually CTD and paid $51 K out the door.  This did involve quite a bit of negotiating, but in my search I was seeing advertised similarly equipped Ram's $55 - 58K and even high end Laramie's & Laramie Long Horn's I did not see above 70K.

To the OP I agree with others who say diesel and for the size trailer I would definitely strongly consider a dually which will give you more payload capacity and stability.  Also a long bed as Mopar said will also provide more stability and worth considering.

Thanks Steveblond :)

Please tell me about your experience with the Voltage. I am making an offer on a 2013 Voltage 3600. This had been returned to the dealer because the main large slide out had a 'getting stuck' issue and had to be repaired. When i test operated it,  it made a lot of squealing noise as if it was struggling to come into closed position due to possibly weak motors.

I met a guy with a voltage on a camp ground and asked for his experience and he told me that he had a slide out issue with his new Voltage which took 6 weeks to repair at Camping World due to slow warranty approvals.

1 - I am not sure if I am making an expensive mistake to buy it because I think they are the best heavy duty built RV for long lasting life, even beating Montana on the ruggedness of its materials.

2- How does $55K for a 2013 with 4 years remaining extended warranty sound in moolah (price)?

Regards,
Sammy.

1. Are lifted trucks a problem to use to haul a 5th wheel ?
Yes they sure can. And much depends on the type of lift.
  Does the truck have a suspension lift or just a body lift.
Some suspension lifts for a 3500 size truck aren't up to the task of carrying heavy loads.
  Sure the truck looks macho to some folks with those big tires but other considerations come to play when pulling a 5th wheel trailer.

Raise the trucks bed higher will usually mean raising the trailer also for level towing and proper bed rail clearance.

For towing heavy trailers and knowing nothing about the quality of the lift parts I would pass on a lifted truck.

sammybenjamin said:
Thanks Steveblond :)

Please tell me about your experience with the Voltage. I am making an offer on a 2013 Voltage 3600. This had been returned to the dealer because the main large slide out had a 'getting stuck' issue and had to be repaired. When i test operated it,  it made a lot of squealing noise as if it was struggling to come into closed position due to possibly weak motors.

I met a guy with a voltage on a camp ground and asked for his experience and he told me that he had a slide out issue with his new Voltage which took 6 weeks to repair at Camping World due to slow warranty approvals.

1 - I am not sure if I am making an expensive mistake to buy it because I think they are the best heavy duty built RV for long lasting life, even beating Montana on the ruggedness of its materials.

2- How does $55K for a 2013 with 4 years remaining extended warranty sound in moolah (price)?

Regards,
Sammy.

sorry i cant comment on the price as i have found that the Voltage comes with so many options its impossible to compare with out knowing the all -ie electric/hydralic leveling systems single /double fridge single/double awnings
i can say that the slide issue is one that either is fixed from the factory or needs to be repaired and once it is you should be good ( i was told that the slide gears if not installed correctly from factory is the issue - BUT if installed properly wont cause issues - thats what i was told from a friend who is a service manager at a dealership , so im not sure if thats correct or bs)
anything that is mass produced by hand as trailers are can be crap or great regardless of builder, and in an unregulated industry like trailers and rvs dealerships and manufactures seem to get away with bloody murder - ive found a RV dealer a little ways away who will do all the warranty work and submitt the claims whether he sold the unit or not some others wont.
Warranty approvals are slow with them all im afraid but over all im happy with mine and ive found that telling the dealer what needs to be fixed they can order the parts and i can fix it myself (ie broken blinds or light covers etc) or have them order the stuff and take it in for a day to fix.
sorry i cant be more helpful
cheers

sammybenjamin said:
THANKS TO YOUR RESPONSES , IT IS MAKING MY DECISION MAKING EASIER AND FASTER :)

Here are my decisions and remaining considerations (->):

1. Diesel or Gasoline (Petrol)?    DECIDED DIESEL.
    2. 2500 or 3500 or 4500?    DECIDED 3500
    -> 3. SRW Or DULEY ? Prefer SRW Leaning Duley ?
    4. Long bed or Short bed (with slider hitch).  DECIDED LONG

-> 5. Axle ratio ? --->  Advised : 3.73 SRW or 4.10 Duley (need decent fuel mileage)
    -> 6. RAM, Sierra, Silverado, Ford ? --->  Leaning CHEVY SILVERADO/SIERRA for a Smoother Duley ride.
    -> 7. Do I need AIR suspension added to the truck? RAM offers this option.
    8. Any other truck considerations?

Based on the advice what I might get : Current state only subject to change :)
- 2015 Dutchmen Voltage 3600 (14500 pounds)
- 2013 Chevy Duramax 3500 4x4 Crew Cab LTZ Z71(SRW or Duley ?)

Special THANKS to Steveblonde for a detailed response.
Also Thanks to: Mopar1973Man 0- Cool picture :) ,  poncho62,  donn,  donuts (Stan),  grassy,  jje1960 (Jim),  Gary RV Roamer,  Jere and Laur and  RVRAC

When I looked up the specs on a 3600, it said 13,233 wt and 5777 cargo CC. That means it could be about 18,000.  That settles the question of SRW or Dually.  Your going to need all the help you can get.

My voltage is 13000 lbs dry 15- 15500 loaded, pin is 3000 lbs
Truck is 13 silverado Z71 ltz 3500 deisel short wheel base single rear wheel cargo cap is 4100 lbs towing is 17100  the only thing i added was firestone air bags with a remote and compressor which i run at 55lbs with the trailer.
Good luck with your choice
Cheers steve

which model Voltage? there is no 3600

Bought a new 2014 GMC 3500HD 6.6 turbo Duramax/Allison, SLT, CC long bed, single rear axle, Z71 4x4, tow package (exhaust brake, trailer brake control, etc).  Paid $61K.  Pulling a 2014 Montana 40' fifth wheel. Around 16K loaded.  I hear the GMC is more truck than the Chevy.  Costs a bit more, too.  Couldn't be happier.  Pulls up hills like the trailer wasn't there, towing mileage around 10-12, 20-22 not towing. Long bed eliminates the need for a slider, handles great with the trailer.  CC makes plenty of room for the dog.  Engine is much quieter than I expected.  I run a Chevy 2500HD at work, and it's quite a bit noisier.  My friend in Alaska has a similar trailer and uses a V10 Ford F350 gas.  He says his really slows down on hills and mileage when towing is terrible.  Glad I bought what I did.  I don't think a dually is necessary since tongue weight is still way below max and it wouldn't fit in my garage with my car anyway.  Seems to do fine without air bags, too. 

Alfa38User said:
I suspect Grassy was quoting Canadian prices in Canadian Dollars.... just a SWAG though...

Bingo...and the big 3 and the Canadian government  have blocked us from buying in the states...add a jake and upgraded brakes to that 3500 dually, and now you are over 100K before the 15% SALES TAX....

My rust free, 129K mile MDT (with it's options) was a bargain. Tows like a dream  and I have my RAM home when I need it...and it is a blast to drive...and I doubt if I will ever reach the 450K mark where I am told, I will need a head job...

meternerd said:
Bought a new 2014 GMC 3500HD 6.6 turbo Duramax/Allison, SLT, CC long bed, single rear axle, Z71 4x4, tow package (exhaust brake, trailer brake control, etc).  Paid $61K.  Pulling a 2014 Montana 40' fifth wheel. Around 16K loaded.  I hear the GMC is more truck than the Chevy.  Costs a bit more, too.  Couldn't be happier.  Pulls up hills like the trailer wasn't there, towing mileage around 10-12, 20-22 not towing. Long bed eliminates the need for a slider, handles great with the trailer.  CC makes plenty of room for the dog.  Engine is much quieter than I expected.  I run a Chevy 2500HD at work, and it's quite a bit noisier.  My friend in Alaska has a similar trailer and uses a V10 Ford F350 gas.  He says his really slows down on hills and mileage when towing is terrible.  Glad I bought what I did.  I don't think a dually is necessary since tongue weight is still way below max and it wouldn't fit in my garage with my car anyway.  Seems to do fine without air bags, too.

ok i have to ask where you got "I hear the GMC is more truck than the Chevy" its the SAME truck diff badge same specs same company same everything but the name and headlights lol

let me guess"ITS PROFESSIONAL GRADE" lol ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom