wind and snow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nana

Although we have traveled quite a bit in various trailers and 5th wheels, we officially became full-timers in Sept.  While it was always a retirement plan, it wasn't planned now, about 7 to 10 years shy of retirement.  Because we are full-timing, without the benefit of fun travel, we are facing the prospect of spending our first winter in our 5th wheel, in Ohio, where my husband is working.

My husband toughed it out in a seasonal type 5th wheel through a winter in Louisville, KY, while I went through the process of selling our stick home in GA.  We now own a 2004 36' Mobile Suites which should make wintering a bit easier. 

However, there are three slides, all with awnings.  Hunkering down with all the slides in isn't much of an option.  The bottom of the bed slides under the dresser.  (Very, very short for my 6' husband).  The two slideouts in the main area meet at the island kitchen sink/counter.  The only way to get to the end sofa would be to climb up and over the sink and counter. 

Our current problem is wind.  It's snapping and popping those awnings over the slideouts.  I wasn't able to find a solution here, other than cutting them loose, which I'd really rather not do!  I have pulled in at least one slide during a really bad storm but it seems to be an ongoing problem here. 

The next problem we foresee is snow piling up on the awnings weighing them down.  My husband is thinking about placing something on the slide roof, under the awning to hold it in a more taut position.  Has anyone tried anything like this?  Are there solutions out there?

I'm sure that as time progresses, I will have more issues but this seems to be a biggie!  I am looking forward to spring and summer around Lake Erie but winter not so much!

Thanks

nana said:
Our current problem is wind.  It's snapping and popping those awnings over the slideouts.  I wasn't able to find a solution here, other than cutting them loose, which I'd really rather not do!  I have pulled in at least one slide during a really bad storm but it seems to be an ongoing problem here. 

The next problem we foresee is snow piling up on the awnings weighing them down.  My husband is thinking about placing something on the slide roof, under the awning to hold it in a more taut position.  Has anyone tried anything like this?  Are there solutions out there?

We live in MT where the wind blows too and our dealer in ND recommended we NOT get toppers for our slideout.  We didn't and found that we wanted them because of trees and shade in the summer.  After we had one installed we found the wind problem was significant at times but we can use the MH with the slides in.  If we had your problem, I think I would remove the topper.

That said though there is a way if the topper has enough slope to it to shed the snow.  I made a support out of 3/4" white PVC water pipe that has an inverted T at each end and a suitable length of pipe between the "T"s to keep the topper tight.  You can also over tighten the springs a little to assist in reducing the wind noise.  The really bad part of this is that if the wind is so strong that you need to bring in the slide, you have to remove the support.

If the snow builds up on the topper, you will have to get out a ladder and clean it off.

Thanks Jim. 
We bought our unit used so the awnings came along and are on all Mobile Suites.  Before buying our trailer, we debated whether the awnings were a good idea or not.  Now we know... maybe yes, maybe no.

Well.... My solution to snow on the awnings when I'm using the rig in the winter is "S".  Yup, turn the rig so the compass shows "S" and drive for a day or two.. Somehow the snow magically disappears :)

On a more serious note.. The main awning,, Retract,

Slide outs, they make an air pillow which is wedge shapped, you can put it under the awning and blow it up with the discharge port on a vacuum cleaner or other air pump.  Don't know how much good it would be in snow but it's supposed to help it shed rain.

Some folks take this foam tube "Noodles" you get at the toy store and use them too, not as smooth as the air wedge, but... More support

Alas I don't have a link to the air wedge

2nd the noodles.

Yip, we camped on a higher elevation cg here in FL...yeah we have some places that are high for us..anyway, i saw a guy take his noodles for the swimming pool and push them under his toppers, it was VERY windy their and it seemed to work well for him.

Whether you have the toppers or not, if it snows, you will need to remove the snow from all of your slides before bringing them in, not only does it make a mess if you dont but many times your slide motors cannot support all that extra weight trying to drag that slide in with snow on it so you need to make a plan for snow removal and being on the roof to shovel it off may not be the best plan due to slipping.  I would prefer the topper with either the pillow, or the noodles or a pvc device that keeps the awnings tight and slanted downward.

Which ever method you select, be carefull and dont get hurt.

Ahh, here's mention again of using the noodles with the toppers. I just can't picture this. How does it work?  ???  Do you just lay them up on the top of the slide-out but under the awning, or what? I've never seen this approach any where we've been!
LuAnn

John,

Do you have any idea where to get the air pillows??

Thanks.

No I don't know where to find the weges but if you ask me again after Election Tuesday I'll research for you.

As for the noodles, they go under the canvas, over the slide  Just fill up the "Gap" 

However with both methods if you get a strong wind you may loose your support

John,

Thanks for the info, just knowing they were out there and called wedges helped a lot.  I searched until I found awningwedges.com.  Just ordered what we need.  It is a small company and had an answer to my email questions in no time at all.

The Last Winter we spent in Cold Country we also had probalems with wind on our slide topper.  My solution was to go to Home Depot (or any builder supply) and pickup a couple sheets of "Pink Foam Board" cut them to size and layered them in the gap.  It worked quite well, and also added some insulation to the slide roof.  Downside is that it was sort of a bugger to get them all the way across the topper, and I had several pieces to deal with on a windy day. 

As far as snow, the little accumulation we got I was able to stand in the back of my pickup with a floor broom and pull it off.  We didn't get much that didn't melt within a week, so I could have just left it and it would have been OK...

John

There is a company that makes an "Air Wedge" Basically it's a wedge shaped balloon.

Hook it up, blow it up and it supports the slide topper

I got to get a few of 'em some day

Just wanted everyone to know, we tried the awning wedges.  Waste of money for us.  One blew out the first week and got a hole somewhere.  (No place to run a rope through or attach to camper or each other.)  They were not designed to fit our larger slide out and it would've taken 2 or 3 to layer in there.  We put one on side with a smaller slide and less wind, it went flat before even a month passed, probably the cold.

So my husband went to home depot, purchased some large plastic pipe used for drainage (with holes in it), ran a rope through and tethered these under the slide-out.  Worked fine except for the singing noise in strong wind.  Turned out none of it mattered, our awnings popped right back up after the snow melted. 

Unfortantely, the wind damaged the edge of the awning leaving us with just a netted fabric for about 6 inches.  Now I need to find something to repair that....

Back
Top Bottom