Winnebago tool kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slam308

I just put a deposit on a new 2020 Winnebago Adventurer 30T and will be picking it up at the end of March.

I'd like to start putting together a general tool kit to take along with me.  I'm wondering if the screws, bolts, lug nuts, etc. are metric, standard or a combination of both. 
Also, any general replacement parts you think I should carry would be great.  I saw the General Supplies for New RV'ers in the Library, but if there's anything not on that list please let me know.

For a new RV you shouldn't need many spare parts. A good set of tools including combination wrenches in sae and metric, a set of socket wrenches 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive in sae and metric. complete set of screw drivers including long ones. A 1/2" Torque Wrench for lug nuts is nice to have at times.

As the motorhome gets older carry a spare water pump and pressure relief valve for the water heater, windshield wiper blades, oil filter, quart of engine oil, gas, oil and air filter for generator.

Never hurts to have an air compressor capable of inflating the motorhome tires

Battery booster cables are nice to have, a tow strap

Various types of tape for quick repairs. A level. A multi-meter

We carry a spare fuel filter and serpentine belt for the Cummins diesel. John gave you a good list, I would add a variety of zip ties including some really heavy duty long ones (like 12-18" or longer.)

We bought our Winnebago just over a year ago, and we're full-timers.  Our main problems have been minor cosmetic issues, veneer peeling in corners, same with wallpaper in a couple of spots.  We now carry a variety of adhesives like super glue, elmers, and silicone adhesive.  Other than standard tools already mentioned, I would recommend a plastic mallet.  Its nice to be able to hammer without scarring.

Some good suggested additions above ...

Contents of tool kit vary about as much as appearance of rv'ers does.  ;)

I carry both metric & standard,  and over time have had to buy both sockets & open end wrenches in larger sizes than I previously owned.

Thanks so much, those are great ideas.  So I'll need metric and SAE?  Was hoping everything was built using one standard.  I wonder why they use both variations on one coach?
I have no clue about electric and wouldn't know what to do with a multimeter even if I had one!

slam308 said:
Thanks so much, those are great ideas.  So I'll need metric and SAE?  Was hoping everything was built using one standard.  I wonder why they use both variations on one coach?
I have no clue about electric and wouldn't know what to do with a multimeter even if I had one!

There are lots of YouTube videos on basic multimeter use and that includes checking batteries and fuses. 

slam308 said:

You should learn how to use one.  If I can, anyone can. It's also a very useful tool when troubleshooting.

slam308 said:
So I'll need metric and SAE?  Was hoping everything was built using one standard.  I wonder why they use both variations on one coach?
Different components come from different manufacturers. Even if everything on the coach is SAE, you need to consider your toad too.  AND I have a pretty good idea which metric equals which SAE (1/2=13mm for instance) for those times when I need one wrench on a bolt and another on the nut.

Also, the chassis is from one company, engine & transmission from another (and may be built to international standards) & body from another. Appliances are often metric these days. Most small battery connections such as for a generator use 10mm.

Kind of a sad commentary on the quality of new RV?s when you have to consider what tools to carry to keep it going.

Wouldn?t even cross my mind to carry tools for a new car.

I always put in a basic kit, if only a combo screwdriver. pliers and an adjustable open end wrench.  Just in case.  But they get used so seldom in a modern car that I have trouble remembering where I stashed them. The last time I had to go find it wasn't even for the car - we were lunching in a pub when the mounts for a container broke behind the bar, letting it dangle in the way. I brought my combo screwdriver in so the barkeep could remove it until the owner did repairs.  8) 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I always put in a basic kit, if only a combo screwdriver. pliers and an adjustable open end wrench.  Just in case.  But they get used so seldom in a modern car that I have trouble remembering where I stashed them. The last time I had to go find it wasn't even for the car - we were lunching in a pub when the mounts for a container broke behind the bar, letting it dangle in the way. I brought my combo screwdriver in so the barkeep could remove it until the owner did repairs.  8)

I am Flashing back to a old McGuyver Episode I saw on TV.  :)) Let me know if you need any bailing wire.  I am here for you, Gary.  I will keep it to emotional support at this point in time.

When you get your moho, look at ALL of the screws, and ensure that you have a driver for each of them. Some of the screws on our Sunstar are square drive, AKA Robertson, screws. Whenever I find them, I change them out for Phillips. Most of the rest are Phillips, some 1/4" hex, etc.

SLOweather said:
When you get your moho, look at ALL of the screws, and ensure that you have a driver for each of them. Some of the screws on our Sunstar are square drive, AKA Robertson, screws. Whenever I find them, I change them out for Phillips. Most of the rest are Phillips, some 1/4" hex, etc.

I like the Robertson Square drive over the Phillips, which actually most of the time are JIS.

Heli_av8tor said:
Kind of a sad commentary on the quality of new RV?s when you have to consider what tools to carry to keep it going.

I was a life long mechanic.  You should have seen the size of the tool roll I carried on my old Shovelhead stroker. 
When my Jeep was stolen, the insurance claim for the tools that were missing when I got it back came to over $800.

Heli_av8tor said:

Imagine your house on a chassis rolling down a bumpy road  :D . I carry quite a few tools in our Horizon but 99% of the time they are used for some sort of upgrade or modification on either the coach or the rock crawler Jeep.

Ya, I get that.
But everyone I know or read about spends the first year + getting things fixed on their brand new coach.
Most of the problems are unrelated to bouncing down the road.
Even so shouldn?t these high end / $$$ manufacturers have things figured out by now?

Looks like you have the Ford F53 chassis. Your cargo weight is only 2,169 lbs so you need to keep your weight down. Don't be a packrat and don't get too crazy carrying tools. House repairs are rarely an emergency and for them I only carry a small roll of Eternabond in case the roof develops a leak. I carry only the tools that I would need to limp to the next town where I can buy the specific tool I might need. Buy a roadside assistance plan.

I'm told I'll get one year of Coach Net and my Progressive insurance comes with roadside assistance, but I'd like to have some basics for the easy stuff.  Why wait for someone to show up if I can take care of it myself in 20 minutes.
I'm sure I'll laugh at this statement a year from now...  I'm used to taking a week long trip in my minivan with maybe a hitch rack on the back and a single suitcase, so I don't see filling all the storage areas or overloading the coach weight-wise.

Great idea to change out odd screws with more common heads.  My husband has racks of every size and type of screw imaginable. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom