Winterization - A sad day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

Can anyone think of anything I missed while I tearfully winterized my RV?

1). Bypassed and emptied water heater
2). Blew out the lines with a compressor set to 40 pounds (couldn't find a low point drain)
3). Pumped in the pink stuff with a hand pump starting with the closest faucet and ending with the farthest
4).  Dumped some pink stuff in the empty water tank and let the water pump pick some up
5). Dumped in 64 ounces of sea foam
6). Filled 55 gallon gas tank
7). Ran genset with air on for resistance for 20 minutes to get sea foam in carb
8 ). Ran MH for 20 minutes to get in sea foam
9). Took house battery out to keep a mender on it once I get one.
10). Emptied black and grey tanks
11). Disconnected chassis battery - I am going to start it the next nice day and bring it back to double check the roof caulking
12). Ran out of time but I wanted to clean the roof
13). Oh and I dumped pink stuff in the traps
14) filled gas tank the whole way up to help prevent condensation. 
15). Is it worth it to park it on boards?  It is parked on a flat gravel lot and about half the MH's park on 2x8's but I am not sure why?

Did I miss anything?  It is a class C e450.

Thanks!

I think the only thing I would be concerned with is that you did not locate the low point drains. I would think there should be one for each line. If there are and they are full of fresh water, you could have an issue next spring. If you can be more specific with what you have for a RV, maybe there will be a member with the same rig and may be able to shed some light.

Sure thanks Rene T.

I have a 2006 Thor Four Winds 31P.

Any owners out there? :D

I don't know if this helps but look at page 10-3 of this owners manual. Do you have your owners manual?
It talks about the low point drains are next to the outside shower. Did you winterize your outside shower?

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/buy/buyers_resources/manuals/2007_Four_Winds_Owners_Manual.pdf

Thanks again Rene.  I do have that manual and did look there but didn't see it.  That doesn't mean it doesn't exist it just means I didn't see it.  I will look again.  That manual seems to be for all their MH and I have found it to have inaccurate info for my specific MH.  They may be referring to different model.  The manual is a challenge to decipher since it's not like a car manual which is very specific to a particular car.  I guess they just don't make enough of them to justify the expense.

MarkandKim just to suck it into the pump. Thought it was the easiest way.

If you are referring to number 3, I pumped it into the "city" water source so it would go through all the lines.  I opened the closest line (outside shower) and continued to the final line (sink) getting the toilet and inside shower along the way.  Stopped as soon as pink came out.

So far I haven't had to get my TT ready for winter.  We don't really have a winter in Las Vegas, so, its nice not to have an urgent need to do all of the winterizing.  I will drain everything and open the low point drains as a preventative.  Don't want to take chances. 

I missed one yesterday.  Drained my low point drains to drain lines and forgot to close after after they were done, pump the 1st gallon of RV-antifreeze out on the ground.

I empty the water tank and leave the drain valve open. I would not put antifreeze in the water tank.
Blowing out the lines, then adding antifreeze seems like overkill. I just suck up the antifreeze, let the pink come out the faucets for 30 seconds and stop. This puts some in the waste tanks.

I too blow out the lines before putting in antifreeze - no worries about diluting the mixture. As soon as the water turns pink, shut off the faucet. It takes less than 3 gallons for the entire system.

If you have an icemaker, go in from the outside removable vent and disconnect and drain the water lines to the valve that controls flow to the icemaker.  Should be real easy to see and drain if you have one.  Reconnect lines when done.

might wanna remove the water filters before you pump in all the pink stuff... the filters on our rig filter the incoming water and the water that goes to the ice maker.

Don't forget to get some good stinky dryer sheets to keep mice out.
Regular Bounce dryer sheets work the best, we used them in our classic car while in storage, forgot one year, and the interior was wrecked.
We always use them now.

Back
Top Bottom