winterizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiaVet

Hopefully I am posting in the correct section.  Please settle a discussion my hubby Ken and I are having about winterizing our RV. This will be the first time for us to winterize as the RV is new to us.  I say that you have to put RV antifreeze in the waterlines just like you do at the S traps in the sinks and at the seal of the toilet.  Ken says you can't put antifreeze in the waterlines as it is poison and he won't put poison in those lines.  I say it isn't poison.

We live in Indiana so I know we have to use RV antifreeze.  If I'm correct would someone please explain it to Ken.

Thanks
Cindy of
Ken and Cindy

Actually your are both correct.  Automotive antifreeze like ethaline glycal is poison.  However the pink RV antifreeze is not and is made for winterizing RVs.  The RV winterizing antifreeze is available at RV stores as well as Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware and similar stores.

What Ron said.

Years ago when I was getting the preflight checkout on my popup, the guy told me that the pink stuff wouldn't kill you, but that you would wish it had - so be sure to flush it all out in the spring.

Joel

The pink stuff is polypropylene glycol diluted with water.  It is not poisonous per se, as it is sometimes used medically.  It may be used to flush out the intestinal tract.  You would not want to ingest it full strength unless you remain close to the toilet.  A reasonable amount of flushing out of your water system will avoid any problems.
Art

Ken & Cindy,

What others have said! :) If you have a newer rig you may even find a winterizing kit attached to your fresh water pump. It usually is two valves, one inline with the feed from the tank and the other in line with an open hose. Close the water tank valve and open the valve with the open hose. The hose goes in a gallon of antifreeze and you can open the faucets one at at time until the pink antifreeze comes through. Of course, there are other things to do before such as draining the lines as much as possible and emptying all tanks, including the hot water heater. That usually has a bypass so you don't fill it with six gallons of antifreeze! Don't forget the outside shower if you have one!!!!

Back
Top Bottom