WORST roads for RV travel: Your nominee(s)??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might have to defer to parts of the Alaskan Highway, but after everyone gets through listing their worst roads, I challenge you to drive your RV on parts of I-5 and I-10 through Los Angeles. You'll never challenge our state's supremecy on bad roads again.

Kev

Isaac-1 said:
Sure there is some good BBQ in that area, but if I am around there I will be stopping for German food at Der Linderbaum in Fredericksburg

Eve?s Cafe in Lampasas if you?re close enough. You don?t have to deal with the tourist trap that is Fredericksburg and the German food is amazing.

Kind of off topic, but hey, if you have to go off the beaten path to find a smooth road, you might as well have some good eats.

Kevin Means said:
I challenge you to drive your RV on parts of I-5 and I-10 through Los Angeles. You'll never challenge our state's supremecy on bad roads again.

X2. Aside from the stress of driving I-10 connecting to I-5, I truly wonder sometimes what's going to be broken/cracked/etc on the coach when I finally exit the valley. Several times I've detoured via Twentynine Palms and Lucerne Valley just to avoid the whole mess

dverstra said:
X2 AGREED
We should have been paid to use it.

X3  I was on this road last week.  It shook my motorhome so bad the end of my faucet fell off.  It is less than 1 year old.  Hopefully the warranty will cover it.

Hands down with no close second in my opinion is westbound I-10 through Louisiana. 30 miles or more of the worst road I've ever seen, so bad, it bottomed out my generator on its corner springs and severed my conduit to the transfer switch, leaving me with no power.

Second worst I've seen but nothing close to I-10 is northbound I-55 in Arkansas. It has about an eight mile stretch that reminded me of I-10.

Hwy 41 south of the Trans Canada Highway to the Cypress Hills Provincial Park in southeastern Alberta, Canada. Road is poorly built and maintained.

I'm going to nominate one, not based on road condition (it's actually very smooth), but on the layout of the road!  US129, also known as "The Dragon"  This is a U.S. route that snakes through the Smoky Mountains in TN and on to N.C.  The 11 mile section of road officially known as the Dragon starts at Tabcat Bridge just as you leave the lake and continues over the state line and into N.C.  This is an 11 mile section of road famous for it's 318 turns in that 11 miles.  There is actually a ban on trailers over 30' and I can guarantee that if you ever decide to try it with a sizable trailer/5ver, you will never be tempted to go through there again.  Great for motorcycles, not so much for trailers.

Xrated - we have several like that in the Ozarks.  Missouri's road motto is:  If it can't have a curve, it ain't a road.  Anyway, US 160 between Highway 65 (north of Branson) going east for about 30 miles is one that will make you pitch your cookies.  Not rough but when you see your own taillights more than once you tend to wonder.

Bill

I will never go over the George Washington in NY City again!
Toll road you should bring bridging equipment to pass some of the pot holes.
This year went the Tapenzee then down to 95.
No pot holes but traffic and an inattentive driver took out our motorhome.
You think roads are bad come to the Northeast for some of the most idiotic drivers out there!

As you come West from Ohio and then hook up around Chicago to head on 90 (I believe).  I don't know what the road surface was like because I was too concerned about bodily harm! 

I had read that was a bad section but figured that we weren't hitting it during rush hour.  Wow was that a mistake! 

A lane change turn signal is like a red cape to a bull on those highways.  This isn't my preferred method of driving at all but you had to be aggressive just to get out of there.  Ironically, the people you cut off probably get ticked and then cut someone else off.  The cycle is vicious. 

I prefer giving and getting lots of space and happy to let people.  I was getting eaten alive!

FenderP said:
NM 285 between Carlsbad and Lovington -not only the roughest, most pot-holed, nay SINK-HOLED road I have ever been on (there is literally a sign that says, "Caution, Sink Hole May Occur Next Three Miles"), but also, if I'm not mistaken, was one of this year's most deadly in the nation.
We visited the Carlsbad caverns last winter. I will second the vote on this one. We left on a Sunday morning, and past a steady line of oil rig trucks and equipment the whole way. It is very busy with oil work in this area, and the heavy trucks are surely pounding the road to absolute crap.

Bill N said:
Xrated - we have several like that in the Ozarks.  Missouri's road motto is:  If it can't have a curve, it ain't a road.  Anyway, US 160 between Highway 65 (north of Branson) going east for about 30 miles is one that will make you pitch your cookies.  Not rough but when you see your own taillights more than once you tend to wonder.

Bill

Bill, it has been a couple of  decades since I last drove it, but there is at least one highway in Missouri that does not follow that rule, it is Hwy 19 the one leading to where my ex-mother in law lived in Winona MO.  There is stretch of this highway between Winona and Thayer that is like a roller coaster, up one hill and down the next over and over.  I think this is the only road where I have ever became motion sick while driving, more over it has happened more than once.

Isaac-1 said:
Bill, it has been a couple of  decades since I last drove it, but there is at least one highway in Missouri that does not follow that rule, it is Hwy 19 the one leading to where my ex-mother in law lived in Winona MO.  There is stretch of this highway between Winona and Thayer that is like a roller coaster, up one hill and down the next over and over.  I think this is the only road where I have ever became motion sick while driving, more over it has happened more than once.
Oh there are many like that Issac.  The state was a bit late on buying bulldozers to cut down hills and fill valleys.  When we first moved here there were a couple of teenagers killed doing what they call 'hilltopping' where you go as fast as you can down those up and down roads and eventually find one hill where you actually leave the ground at the top.  These teenagers unfortunately found the consequences of that when they flew into a tree.  Sad.

Bill

Isaac-1 said:

Oh yeah! I grew up in St. Louis and traveled the roads of the Ozarks many, many times, finding those roller coasters that would actually make you feel like your stomach was in your mouth. And we had roads in north St. Louis county that I would use for road racing when I was a teenager but wouldn't even think to try to drive a motor coach on one of them with hairpins and switchbacks.

I-95N interchange getting on to I-26W is horrible.

Also - It's certainly not a main road but the road going to Clinch River Campground near Gate City, VA is a narrow one lane dirt road for 2-3 miles (seems like 5). If you're towing (especially a toad) and meet head-to-head with someone else doing the same, you're in real trouble. there's not even enough room for an RV to get past a car, worse yet 2 RV's getting past each other. The road is also one lane paved for several miles with only a few spots to safely get past a car. Both the paved and unpaved have a cliff on one side.

I-95 from the NC/SC line to Georgia. Terrible. THUMP, THUMP, THUMP for 50 or 60 miles. I blew out a tire on my trailer last fall. I know they were working on it at the time. Does anyone know how it is now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom