WORST roads for RV travel: Your nominee(s)??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
County Route 14 in Nova Scotia. After bouncing around for half an hour, we saw a sign warning of rough road ahead! Lost a few screws out of cabinets and broke a wire off the coach battery.

I was just looking at my notes form our trim June last year....I thought of this thread, so I'm glad to see it was bumped back up into my 'unreads'

US 190 to US 71 out of Baton Rouge, NW bound.  The worst of it was US 71.  Ripped the closet rod down, tore the pantry slide off the tracks, and rattled our teeth.  I'm fairly sure it took 2 years off the life of my tires that were then fairly new.

blw2 said:
I was just looking at my notes form our trim June last year....I thought of this thread, so I'm glad to see it was bumped back up into my 'unreads'

US 190 to US 71 out of Baton Rouge, NW bound.  The worst of it was US 71.  Ripped the closet rod down, tore the pantry slide off the tracks, and rattled our teeth.  I'm fairly sure it took 2 years off the life of my tires that were then fairly new.

YES 190 is terrible all the way from Baton Rouge (Port Allen) to I-49. Next time I'll just take I-10 to 49.

Rene T said:
I-95 from the NC/SC line to Georgia. Terrible. THUMP, THUMP, THUMP for 50 or 60 miles. I blew out a tire on my trailer last fall. I know they were working on it at the time. Does anyone know how it is now?
Yes Rene, It's still bumpy "Thumpy" but it is gradually getting better. When it starts I try to stay in the left lane - if traffic permits.

I95 in SC goes through what South Carolinians call the low country. It is mostly swamp. When I95 was built, the road bed was inadequate.  Hence, the outer lanes constantly settle and the corners of the concrete (another mistake) sections break. The state DOT just continues to put in patches, making even more expansion joints.
The inner lanes are better, but the maniacs want to drive 90 to 100mph. So I do not ever travel on I95 anymore.

The northern entrance to Oatman, AZ is:
  • long
  • sharply graded 
  • 2 lanes wide 
  • heavily twisted 
  • badly paved 
  • has absolutely no safety rail or protection against falling to your death 
  • has no shoulder 
  • has a steep fall-to-your-death over most of the route 
  • has a sharp "cliff" forming the up-hill edge of the road, making it dangerous to bear too far away from the deadly cliff on the other side 
  • washboarded in some parts 

We did it in a class B. My wife kept her eyes closed the whole time. The one time she opened her eyes, she noticed the burned out hulk of a car that had fallen off the road and been left there... and closed her eyes again.

The from-the-south route to oatman, on the other hand, is straight, slightly graded, well paved, wide, and safe.

ChasA said:
I95 in SC goes through what South Carolinians call the low country. It is mostly swamp. When I95 was built, the road bed was inadequate.  Hence, the outer lanes constantly settle and the corners of the concrete (another mistake) sections break. The state DOT just continues to put in patches, making even more expansion joints.
The inner lanes are better, but the maniacs want to drive 90 to 100mph. So I do not ever travel on I95 anymore.

ChasA,  I'm curious what you take to avoid I-95 in SC? I'm in central Fla and My Dad, brother & sister are near Raleigh Durham, NC. It's the most direct and least time consuming route i see.

Skydivemark,
Yes I95 is the quickest.  But I'm never in a hurry. I take US1 to  US601 in  Camden SC. Then US601 to US301 in Orangeburg, SC. Then US301 down to Ocala, where I get on the Florida's  turnpike. Of course, I stay over a few places along the way. My daughter recently moved to  Augusta, Ga so we'll be using US1 all the way to Callahan, Fl.
We enjoy the journey as much as the destination.  No more I95 for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom