Worthless Road Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COCJ

We recently camped at Miramonte Reservoir in SW Colorado. It is 17 miles from the nearest town. After we got set up, I noticed that the left rear outside tire was flat. This is a small 24' Class C. I didn't have a three ton jack and an impact wrench to change the tire. Plus, being an old geezer, I didn't think that I could get the spare out from under my rig. I was amazed that I could get cell service in this remote area so I called AAA to see if they could send somebody out to change the tire. I pay something like $450 a year for their Premium RV service. After waiting around for a couple of hours, they called back and said that they would send somebody out but it wouldn't be until the next morning. I said that was fine since we had planned to stay several days. So I get a call the next morning from a tow truck driver out of Montrose (about 80 miles away) saying he was on his way. I told him exactly what tools and equipment he needed to change the tire. After waiting two hours, he shows up and realizes that he doesn't have the tools that he needs to change the tire. He laughs and says that AAA is still paying for the service call and leaves. So now I call my insurance company to take advantage of the road service protection that I pay for as part of my premium. They call me back a few hours later and tell me that they have made arrangements with a towing company in Moab, UT (over 150 miles away) to come the next day. I call the towing company and they say they haven't received authorization from the insurance company. I call back to insurance company and they say they will call towing company. After a few hours, I call towing company and they say that they are not coming unless they are paid in advance. Call insurance company and they say they can't help me. Finally call the local Sherriff and they give me the name of two local towing companies that they use. One doesn't answer the phone and doesn't return calls, the other one says he doesn't have anyone available and suggests that I try to limp it into town on the one good tire. I was hesitant to do that because if the inner tire failed I would be screwed. But that's what I did. Got to town and found out that I had a leaky valve stem. The shop quickly fixed it and we were on our way home. Yesterday I bought a cordless impact wrench and loaded up my four ton bottle jack. Thinking about getting a bumper mount spare tire carrier so I don't have to struggle with crawling underneath and struggling with spare. Also thinking about selling the damn thing and going back to a tent!

Last edited:
Recently? As in labor day weekend?
Not that it makes your life any better but might help to explain the less than stellar service you received.
Also is the AAA club you belong to the same as the area you were in?
Just trying to figure out what happened but it isn't your fault

Keep in mind AAA divided the U.S.A. into zones when establishing the company. Each zone sets it own rules for vehicle coverage, some do not honor RV ERS, but do honor auto ERS claims.
Another problem appears to be universal with ERS companies; the telephone operators are only allowed to read what is on their computer screen. Your answers dictate their reply.
If not satisfied with what you are being told, ask to speak with a supervisor. IMO supervisors do know their job well, and have some latitude to work with customers.

That's why there are independent road service companies that understand RVers needs. Coachnet, Good Sam, Escapees and FMCA all offer versions. The few times I've needed Coachnet road service they stayed on the phone until they dispatched someone, then followed up with calls every hour or so to see how things were going.

They all call the same vendors and shop for prices, not quick availability for an ailing customer...

The good news is that when we did get stuck on the side of a highway with virtually no breakdown or shoulder, in the wilds of Washington state that we had a generator, toilet, water and food with us. Therefore the eight hour wait for the tow/service that was capable of doing the job was just another adventure for me... DW on the other hand...

I'll echo Lou's post. When I've needed CoachNet they've done very well by me, getting service to me as soon as possible, making arrangements for service when I could drive to get the service instead of dispatching a mobile, (only once I needed that) and keeping in touch with me to be sure I was properly taken care of.

And in one case they provided a tech (they have them 24/7) to help me troubleshoot before we determined that a tech was needed. It's been worth every penny for that peace of mind and for the excellent help.

They all call the same vendors and shop for prices, not quick availability for an ailing customer...
But some are more persistent than others, and go the extra mile to be sure you are taken care of, even if circumstances dictate that there's a long wait time (150+ mile service call, for example), not just giving up because help wasn't instant. CN has done that for me.

When I had coachnet they sent too small a truck.. Still got the job done however because a strong brain made up for a weak back (Truck). No complaints other than I told 'em what we needed.
And I know the driver they SHOULD have sent.
But that's neither her nor there. I carried the tools needed to change a tire.. Was easier than counting on the tow company to have 'em.. My jack was ( still have it) a 12 ton Harbor Freight Jack-Jack (Air/hydraulc. the air side is basically a hydraulic pump that works like a jack-hammer. Hence the name jack jack) works great with 150 PSI of air behind it.

I once helped a trailer type I told him "I can only lift 12 tons" you can imagine the look I got till he saw me return with the jack and compressor.

When I had coachnet they sent too small a truck.. Still got the job done however because a strong brain made up for a weak back (Truck). No complaints other than I told 'em what we needed.
And I know the driver they SHOULD have sent.
But that's neither her nor there. I carried the tools needed to change a tire.. Was easier than counting on the tow company to have 'em.. My jack was ( still have it) a 12 ton Harbor Freight Jack-Jack (Air/hydraulc. the air side is basically a hydraulic pump that works like a jack-hammer. Hence the name jack jack) works great with 150 PSI of air behind it.

I once helped a trailer type I told him "I can only lift 12 tons" you can imagine the look I got till he saw me return with the jack and compressor.
I have the same jack and the serviceman once had to use mine because all he had was a SMALL bottle jack.
AS I previously had posted I got a flat on I 80 near NYC. RAN over something in the road as did 2 other people. We all pulled over within feet of each other and dialed our respective service providers. One had AAA, one used his insurance company and I had Good Sam. The same guy showed up to service all three vehicles.

The few times I've needed Coachnet road service they stayed on the phone until they dispatched someone, then followed up with calls every hour or so to see how things were going.
I mean, how hard is it to do that? Of course the end result is what counts but the fact that they keep in touch throughout your "incident" and follow up is just great customer service IMO. You can get the feeling with some other services that once they hang up the phone from the initial call, it's an "out of sight" situation.

OK, so recently is Monday 9/13. Not Labor Day weekend and yes I belong to AAA Colorado, my local chapter. The bottom line is between AAA and Progessive Insurance they kept in touch and were very good at calling me back. But no help arrived. So I was forced to do a self rescue.

I guess if you are sitting along a major Interstate highway near a major city, you might have a chance of getting help

That's why there are independent road service companies that understand RVers needs. Coachnet, Good Sam, Escapees and FMCA all offer versions. The few times I've needed Coachnet road service they stayed on the phone until they dispatched someone, then followed up with calls every hour or so to see how things were going.
It's worth noting that Coachnet is the only one of those that actually is a roadside service company with its own call center. Good Sam, Escapees, and FMCA all contract with others for the service the offer. Good Sam uses Allstate's call center, and Escapees and FMCA use Safe-Ride.

We were traveling with friends in July when they experienced mechanical difficulty with their Tiffin coach. We got off the highway safely, then they called FMCA to arrange for road service.

FMCA refused to do anything to help, unless they needed tires or a tow. Left them sitting high and dry in a parking lot.

I double-checked my FMCA road service agreement just to be sure, and it clearly states they would arrange for road service. So much for that.

We switched from CoachNet when their prices went up. Looks like we’re switching back.

I carry an 8 ton bottle jack, a crossbar lug wrench, and a 4 ft piece of pipe for added leverage. And an assortment of wood blocks in case the ground is soft. The spare is mounted on the rear bumper of the trailer. The tow vehicle spare is underneath but has an electric lift/lower mechanism. Plus a couple of cans of "Tire Fix" in the storage area. I hope I'm prepared. This reminds me, I need to check the torque on the trailer wheel lug nuts.

I guess if you are sitting along a major Interstate highway near a major city, you might have a chance of getting help
My experience with Coach Net was that our class A failed to start so I called Coach Net and before I was off of the phone they told me who would be coming and estimated that it would take about 3 hours. About 20 minutes later my cell phone rang and it was the wrecker driver calling to say that he would be leaving to come to me as soon as he hung up. He traveled from Salina, KS to a COE lake campground that was just off of a state highway, and about 75 miles from him. He arrived at our site about 90 minutes later with a heavy wrecker and knew exactly what he needed to do. It took about 1/2 hour to get the RV out of our site and ready to tow and he was on the road with it in about 3 hours from the time of my call. He then towed the RV to Manhattan, KS the nearest service shop, and about 50 more miles. After dropping the RV he then had to return to Salina, another 70 miles, for a total travel of just under 200 miles and about 6 or 7 hours of his time. For this I signed a ticket to verify his service and never saw a bill of any kind.

For all those carrying a crossbar wrench or battery powered impact it might be wise to test and retorque the lug nuts on your vehicles.

My Jeep was last serviced at a WM for a tire change (like 35k miles ago) I recently had to remove the wheels for a brake job and with a 200 ft/lb electric impact and/or a 36 inch 1/2 inch breaker bar I could not remove all the lug nuts, ended up rounding 4 nuts and having to do an extraction on one.

I don't think modern techs are being taught about torque. I think they are putting these lug nuts on with like a 450# impact and blasting away.

The torque spec on my Jeep is 60 ft.lbs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom