yellowstone 2011 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just got back from a Yellowstone / Black Hills trip.  We stayed in Jackson and West Yellowstone while in the Yellowstone area.  We wanted to stay at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone because it seemed like the place to stay.  This was the week after Labor Day, so we thought we could stay anywhere we wanted without worrying about reservations, but Grizzly was full when we got there.  We then stumbled upon Wagon Wheel RV park in West Yellowstone.  After spending 3 nights there, we were glad Grizzly was full.  While I'm sure Grizzly must be a nice place to stay, Ken Harmon, the manager at Wagon Wheel, was probably the nicest, most helpful, campground manager I've ever met.  The showers, bathroom and laundry were always spotless, just like he promised they would be.  This is a small park, only about 20-30 spaces, and they are tight, but we only slept there, so we did not care about that.  Ken will take care of you if you decide to go to West Yellowstone and I guarantee he will make your stay enjoyable.  Consider Wagon Wheel RV park if you are planning to stay at West Yellowstone. 

Also, don't miss the Bison burger at Kiwi Diner and get your morning coffee at Morning Glory, both great little places in West Yellowstone.

Morning Glory, great coffee and on Weds nights, they have a great jam.  I play there.  Look for the dobro player.

We've made two trips to Yellowstone (with grandkids in tow). Once we stayed at Lake Hebgen and it was beautiful. A quiet rest at the end of each day. Waterfront sites. BTW - it's worth visiting even if you don't stay there. The earthquake story and pictures are incredible. It's a relatively short drive to West Yellowstone and its entrance to the park.

The biggest surprise to first-time visitors is the sheer size of the park and the amount of driving that is involved. On our second visit we stayed at Fishing Bridge with a 30 foot TT. Campground was tight but pleasant. A herd of buffalo meandered right through the campground a coyote made regular trips through the central wooded area.

We found Fishing Bridge to be conveniently located within the park and recommend it. It also gives you a convenient way to leave the park and  head into Cody - a must do.

You'll have a great time - you'll feel like you've landed on a distant planet. It not only LOOKS beautiful but you can smell it, taste it and even the ground seems to be vibrating. Awesome place.

>>You'll have a great time - you'll feel like you've landed on a distant planet. It not only LOOKS beautiful but you can smell it, taste it and even the ground seems to be vibrating. Awesome place.<<

Good Description, Keith! BTW, the vibrating ground is probably an earthquake. ;D ;D

Jim Dick said:
Your plan sounds similar to ours in 2001 when we thought we were planning a one week trip to Belfast with the Nathans, who used to be on the forum. They live in England.

Just reading through this thread, I spotted your reference to our good friend Terry & Liliane who live near us here in the UK. :)  They're still travelling, and have changed their RVs more often than I've changed my socks.  :eek:  We're off to Morocco with them Feb/March.

Sorry to wander off-topic a little..

Dougie.

[quote author=asprn]....have changed their RVs more often than I've changed my socks.  [/quote]

Isn't that a fact!

We're off to Morocco with them Feb/March.

Be sure to hug a camel for us.

Terry and Liliane are great friends of many of us here on the forum. Please say a big Hi to them from Tom & Chris.

Dougie,

A really great couple and good friends. We miss them a lot. Hoping to see them next summer.

Terry did the same thing with RV's here in the USA!!! ;D

Dougie

Thanks for the update on the Nathans. You described them to a "T". Say hi to them from the Dobrins. We all miss them very much.

Dougie, please give Terry and Liliane greetings from their Anglican priest in New Mexico that remembers them every October and the forum dinner in Santa Fe before the Balloon Fiesta. Each Advent they are close to my heart. . .

Jim and Di

I have been to Yellowstone many times and the above advise is very good. I would like to add one thing. 40 miles south of Yellowstone is Grand Teton National Park. I much prefer visiting there over Yellowstone. It is unbelievably beautiful. Totally different from Yellowstone and it has outrageous wildlife. They have a campground at Coulter Bay with hook ups. I would recommend at least spending a day or two at GTNP. You won't be sorry.

Bob Maxwell said:
Dougie, please give Terry and Liliane greetings from their Anglican priest in New Mexico that remembers them every October and the forum dinner in Santa Fe before the Balloon Fiesta. Each Advent they are close to my heart. . .
Hi Bob,

I certainly will, as I will with the other requests above.

Dougie.

Dougie,

Here are some pictures of the Nathans taken when they stopped by our place a couple of years ago. They bought 3 motorhomes in a few short months that trip. Terry said they were up to 21 at that point.

Tom said:
Here are some pictures of the Nathans taken when they stopped by our place a couple of years ago. They bought 3 motorhomes in a few short months that trip. Terry said they were up to 21 at that point.

I felt a little guilty that my brief comments had steered this one somewhat off-topic... but then I noticed your status.  8)

Great pics.

Tom,
We are planning on three days in GTNP by the way you mentioned the Nikon coolPix got on and just love it. If I can figure out how to post pics I will. Thanks Tom,
Jim

Right after I posted my opinions DPReview did a Superzoom Shootout http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q110superzoomgroup/ comparing 9 of the best superzooms available. The Nikon P100 was their favorite. It is a great camera.

To post a photo you must resize it and compress it. There are many photo editing programs that can do this. Every version of Windows comes with a very basic built in photo editor called Paint. You can find in on your Start Button menu somewhere usually under Accessories. Open up a photo with it and click the Resize button found on the menu bar. Click on Pixels and set Horizontal to 800 and click OK. Then click on the File button on the menu bar and select Save As>Jpeg. Select a location and click OK. Then when you want to post the photo here click on the Additional Options button and select Choose File. Select your file and then post your message. If you get a file size too large message then resize it to 600.

Attachments

• Splash1.jpg
    Splash1.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 10
[quote author=asprn]I felt a little guilty ... but then I noticed your status.[/quote]

Executive privilege  ;D Nah, the staff routinely split and move discussions that have drifted way off topic. If I'm the guilty party, they whack me with a 2 x 4  :(

Tom said:
Executive privilege  ;D Nah, the staff routinely split and move discussions that have drifted way off topic. If I'm the guilty party, they whack me with a 2 x 4  :(
And quite right too.

Just spoken with Terry - he & Liliane are walking in the New Forest for a few days - and he sends his love to all on the forum.  He did mention a floaty-thing of yours....

Dougie.

Back
Top Bottom