Yet another tow vehicle decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I'm looking at the 2500 Silverado WT, with trailering package, but they are showing me a 6.0L V8 gas engine. 360 HP 380 Torque. Of course the salesman is adamant that it won't be an issue with a 13,000# towing capacity but I'm still not sure. The drop in torque is so drastic from the deisel model. Any thoughts?

Torque vs Hp is mostly misunderstood, even within the gearhead community. There is a pervasive notion that more torque is more important than more horsepower, but that is way oversimplified and often just plain wrong.  A 360 hp gas engine will pull/push/carry exactly as much as a 380 hp diesel, regardless of torque values.  Hp = torque * Rpm/5250, so the higher torque of the diesel allows it to operate at lower rpms to produce the same amount of power. If the diesel has twice as much torque for the same Hp, then it runs at half the Rpms to produce the same Hp.

Therefore the noticeable difference between the gas & the diesel (besides price) is the rpm at which the full rated horsepower is available.  That gives the diesel a feeling of more immediate power, i.e. more responsive to heavy demand. It also means that a diesel does its work at lower Rpms, so suffers less friction wear on internal moving parts. It also means that drivers averse to hearing the gas engine "scream" at higher rpms will be more comfortable about using the full Hp.  But if the gas and diesel have the same rated Hp, the available power will be the same.

All that said, I like the diesel for its low end performance, which is ideal for towing or carrying heavy loads. Whether it's worth the extra money (even assuming you get it back eventually), is a tougher question. The 6.0L gas V8 is still adequate for the task, so getting the diesel is a discretionary expense.

This article is helpful in comparing the 6.0LV8 with the Duramax diesel:
http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/0712dp-chevy-duramax-lmm-60l-vortec-ly6-gas-engine/

Thanks Gary, I was about to post something similar when I saw your post, The diesel is usually good for more miles but the newer gas engines are really going well into some really high mileage numbers. The only thing replaced on the 6.0 in the van has been a waterpump in 300,000+ miles.

Yeah, the gas V8 should easily run 200k miles and many will go higher. The light duty diesels used in pick-ups often don't do any better than that anyway, but are typically much more expensive if any major repair becomes necessary.

Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
Torque vs Hp is mostly misunderstood, even within the gearhead community. There is a pervasive notion that more torque is more important than more horsepower, but that is way oversimplified and often just plain wrong.  A 360 hp gas engine will pull/push/carry exactly as much as a 380 hp diesel, regardless of torque values.  Hp = torque * Rpm/5250, so[ the higher torque of the diesel allows it to operate at lower rpms to produce the same amount of power. If the diesel has twice as much torque for the same Hp, then it runs at half the Rpms to produce the same Hp.]

Agreed. But I don't think it's "Just Plain Wrong". (I'm a Gearhead ? ;))

It's that Low End Grunt (torque) that lets a Diesel accomplish any given work task, at a lower RPM... reducing high end RPM Wear & Tear.. in, and for.. The Long Term ?

Horsepower (RPM's) gets us up to Speed. Torque keeps us there, without having to change gears as often.

;) :)

I had a 2500 Silverado 6l gas and now a 3500 RAM diesel.  Will never go back. Night and day when rving specially long distance.

BIG JOE said:
I'm a Diesel Fan, so you know where that would go.  ;)

But... my Neighbor bought a new F-250, 4x4 Super Duty (= GM  2500 ?) with the Big gas engine. Pulls a 24' Jayco, Jayfeather Select TT with it.

In His Words: It just doesn't Have It.. in the Hills. It's always Shifting up & down.

( the Horsepower & Torque factors ?)

Jus' Say'n.  :)

Your neighbor needs to learn how to drive it. Tell him to read his owners manual, especially the part about using the"manual" selection of the transmission.

kdbgoat said:
Your neighbor needs to learn how to drive it. Tell him to read his owners manual, especially the part about using the"manual" selection of the transmission.

Jus' Say'n  :)  what had been said, while stand'n 'round, lean'n on bed rails, talk'n 'bout trucks.

He's an OTR driver for FedEx.

Gas or Diesel...All are Good engines. All have their Plusses & Minuses. It's all what Floats yer Boat, for a good number of reasons ?

;) :) 

[quote author=Gary [ RVer Emeritus]

Therefore the noticeable difference between the gas & the diesel (besides price) is the rpm at which the full rated horsepower is available.  That gives the diesel a feeling of more immediate power, i.e. more responsive to heavy demand. It also means that a diesel does its work at lower Rpms, so suffers less friction wear on internal moving parts. It also means that drivers averse to hearing the gas engine "scream" at higher rpms will be more comfortable about using the full Hp.  But if the gas and diesel have the same rated Hp, the available power will be the same.

[/quote]

Agree with your post except the "friction wear."
Consider that the diesel with twice the torque and half the RPM, has twice the cylinder pressures, bearing loads and transmission loads.  While friction increases with speed, the lower pressures in a gas engine should be considered.  It all comes down to the driver believing that the low RPM is better because of the sound.

grashley said:
GREAT!  And you found a used one the dealer declared did not exist!!!!

PICS!  We want PICS!!

Yes I did! Had to drive a couple hours to a different dealer is all. Apparently the previous owner purchases a new truck every few years. Go figure. But well loved and clean bill of health. I'm very happy with it. There is also an auxiliary fuel tank installed which I wasn't excited about at first but now I'm very happy with.

Attachments

• 1C6881A7-D28F-4EDC-9ED3-7D425B019EAC-30518-000013BC471F013C_tmp.png
    1C6881A7-D28F-4EDC-9ED3-7D425B019EAC-30518-000013BC471F013C_tmp.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 18
Update! Finally made the maiden voyage now that I've had the truck a few months and have gotten used to the monster. Not far, just about 30 miles of back roads, into town, abandoned parking lot to practice backing up, 4 way stops and lane changes, and then onto the interstate and into a truck stop and then back to camp. Overall I barely felt the camper back there. The truck performed incredibly and handled so well. A couple 18 wheelers flew past me on the highway and I never felt the trailer sway or pull or anything. It was also a fairly windy day and I never noticed any movement. So happy I went with the diesel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom